The Academy for Scholarship in Education
The Academy for Scholarship in Education (ASE) at Southern Illinois University School of Medicine (SIUSOM) at Springfield is focused on collaboration, education, and educational research across the School. Founded in 2005, ASE has attracted more than 130 members thus far, and continues to grow.
The Academy supports the educational and education research mission of the school by ensuring that all faculty, staff, and medical students have access to the resources they need to be successful educators and researchers.
The Academy helps faculty improve their skills and push teaching beyond the everyday, taking SIUSOM's "lifelong learning" mantra and applying it to the faculty as well as students. Through the Academy, faculty are advancing their skills as educators, researchers, and leaders.
The Academy offers evaluation and training to whole departments, small groups, and individuals.
- Interested in doing research, but not sure where to begin?
- Want help with your teaching?
- Need assistance with presentations?
- Need help dealing with a problem learner?
- Interested in on-site observations?
To schedule an appointment, request an Academy Consult or become a member, simply e-mail: email@example.com
The Mission of the Academy is:
- To advance SIUSOM to the forefront of the nation in medical education innovation & research
- To foster the collaboration of faculty from all disciplines to the benefit of the organization, as well as providing a support network for people who choose to work in medical education
- To provide evidence-based information that will inform and improve SIU’s medical school curriculum
- To recognize and reward excellence in teaching and evaluation, educational research, educational leadership, and the development of enduring educational materials.
Hit the Ground Running
The "Hit the Ground Running" faculty development series was designed specifically with the needs of new faculty in mind, though anyone with an interest in education is welcome to attend. No registration necessary.
These presentations provide multiple opportunities for faculty members to develop their own skills in medical education, teaching and research. Each of the Schools' department chairs is committed to having a faculty that has excellent teachers and they uniformly support this educational program for new faculty members.
Joining the Academy
Benefits of joining the Academy include:
- Invitations to special events
- Individualized faculty development
- Assistance with teaching