The Academy for Scholarship in Education (ASE) at Southern Illinois University School of Medicine (SIUSOM) at Springfield is focused on collaboration, education, and educational research across the School. Founded in 2005, ASE has attracted more than 130 members thus far, and continues to grow.
The mission of the Academy is:
- To advance SIUSOM to the forefront of the nation in medical education innovation & research
- To foster the collaboration of faculty from all disciplines to the benefit of the organization, as well as providing a support network for people who choose to work in medical education
- To provide evidence-based information that will inform and improve SIU’s medical school curriculum
- To recognize and reward excellence in teaching and evaluation, educational research, educational leadership, and the development of enduring educational materials.
Nicole Roberts, Ph.D. is the Director for The Academy. Dr. Roberts' role is to support the educational and education research mission of the school by ensuring that all faculty, staff, and medical students have access to the resources they need to be successful educators / researchers.
The Academy helps faculty improve their skills and push teaching beyond the everyday, taking SIU's "lifelong learning" mantra and applying it to the faculty as well as students. Through the Academy, faculty are advancing their skills as educators, researchers, and leaders.
The Academy offers evaluation and training to whole departments, small groups, and individuals.
- Interested in doing research, but not sure where to begin?
- Want help with your teaching?
- Need assistance with presentations?
- Need help dealing with a problem learner?
- Interested in on-site observations?
Formal evaluations and peer feedback are used to ensure quality of services.
To schedule an appointment, request an Academy Consult or interested in becoming a member, simply e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Benefits of joining the Academy include:
- Invitations to special events
- Individualized faculty development
- Assistance with teaching