SIU School of Medicine is fortunate to have excellent faculty who adopt innovative teaching strategies, focus on student- and patient-centered approaches, have a strong commitment to educational research, and develop effective curricula. The Academy for Scholarship in Education strives to recognize and reward these faculty members by naming them Academy Scholars. An Academy Scholar has demonstrated a strong commitment to teaching and learning, education research, and community engagement here at SIU School of Medicine. The Academy Scholar honor recognizes these faculty members for their commitment and impact to teaching and learning
All current, full-time faculty members who have taught at SIU School of Medicine for at least five (5) years and who have not previously won this award are eligible to be nominated for Outstanding Educator as well as Academy Scholar. Nominees may resubmit updated materials in subsequent years if they are not selected.
In October 2016, ASE will send a request for nominations (self-nominations are accepted) for the Outstanding Educator and Academy Scholar awards. On November 10, 2016, nominees will receive an e-mail notifying them of their nomination and outlining the application requirements.
Application materials will be due on December 16, 2016
(late materials will not be accepted)
The selection committee will meet in January 2016 to review the materials, and the nominees will be notified of the committee decision by the end of January. Below are the required application materials. All nominee-created materials should be in 11-12 point font, single-spaced, and have 1 inch margins. Only nominees who follow the specific guidelines (including page limits) below will be considered for the award.
- I. Statement of Teaching Philosophy (500 words maximum)
II. Curriculum Vitae (Curriculum Vitae format template)
III. Additional Materials (NO more than 20 pages in total)
- a. Teaching Assignments for Last Five Years (Title, Class Number, Size), 1-3 pages
- b. Summary of Learning Outcomes and Student Evaluations (compile pertinent student data from assessments and student evaluations and highlight key findings and narrative comments; do not send copies of course evaluations), 3-4 pages
- c. Statement of Teaching Innovations (curriculum, practice, technology, mentoring), 1-3 pages
- d. Sample Syllabi (or excerpts) that highlight innovations in course design, activities, assessments, and learning environment, 3-5 pages.
- e. Journal, Book, or Grant Abstracts (emphasis on education-related research), 3-5 pages.
When the application is complete, submit a single, PDF copy of all the application materials including any attachments to email@example.com.
The selection committee only reviews complete application materials that conform to the above guidelines. Using an analytic rubric, the committee members review the application materials to determine the level the evidence reflects:
• A commitment to the SIU School of Medicine Mission (link here).
• Excellence and reflection in the areas of teaching and student learning.
• Innovation in educational practices and curriculum development.
• Research in the field of medical education.
• Educational leadership within and beyond SIU School of Medicine.
Nature of Award
Academy Scholars receive a five-year membership that includes the following benefits:
• Money to attend educational conferences and/or workshops (when available)
• Individualized assistance with promotion and tenure
• Individualized assistance with research and teaching projects
• Members-only workshops
• Members-only networking opportunities
• A prestigious line on your CV
• A certificate suitable for framing
For Further Information
If you have questions or want to learn more about the Academy Scholars designation, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org call 217-545-2103.