Current Internal Funding Opportunities
Near-Miss Awards Call for Applications
Due date: 4 pm Friday, September 29, 2017
IN FAIRNESS TO ALL, LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
The goal of the Near-Miss funding program is to support the improvement of Federal type grant applications that were submitted, but were not funded. These applications are reviewed by an ad hoc review committee appointed by the ADR. Full guidelines are available at https://www.siumed.edu/adr/forms/internal-funding-guidelines.html. In brief:
I. Eligibility Highlights
A. SIUSM faculty member must be at the assistant professor level (including Research or Clinical Assistant Professor but excluding Lecturer or Instructor) or above. Volunteer faculty members are not eligible.
B. An applicant must have already submitted an original grant application to an external organization and have received a critique at the time of the application for Near-Miss funding. Unscored applications are eligible as long as a critique has been received.
C. Eligible parent grants must meet four criteria:
1) Generate full F&A (IDC) return (currently 47.5%).
2) Have an associated critique dated on or after September 29, 2016.
3) Be eligible for resubmission to the parent agency.
4) Have not been yet resubmitted as a revised or new application.
II. Financial Support Highlights
- A maximal budget of $25,000 can be requested.
- Salary support for personnel such as post docs, researchers and graduate students is acceptable. However, Near-Miss funding cannot be used to support faculty salaries.
- Equipment, defined as durable items costing over $5,000, is not eligible for funding.
- A revised application must be re-submitted to the parent funding agency within 12 months after the start of the Near-Miss Award.
- A grant final report form will be due in the ADR Office within two months after the end of the Near-Miss funding period.
III. Allocation Priorities
A. Applications will be evaluated and prioritized by an ad hoc Near-Miss Review Committee appointed by the ADR. The Committee will be comprised of at least three faculty members who have current (have had) Federal level funding and experienced at national grant review panels. Allocation of funding will be prioritized to those applications most likely to address critical concerns of the parent application critique to become more competitive upon resubmission. Review comments will not be provided. The funding decision is final.
IV. Submission of Applications: To apply for Near-Miss funding, submit one PDF file by email to Kristi Katcher by 4:00 pm on Friday, September 29, 2017.
Assemble the pdf components in the following order:
- Near-Miss Cover Page located at http://www.siumed.edu/adrfa/.
- Application letter (limit to 2 pages) explaining how the PI will use Near-Miss funds to address the concerns raised in the critique.
- A one-year itemized budget for a maximum of $25,000, plus budget justification.
- The critique for the original application.
- The original application.
If you have any questions, please contact Kristi at 217-545-7936. Again, the application deadline is Friday, September 29, by 4 pm.