The ORC's mission is to protect SIU-SOM medical staff and patients from sources of radiation that constitute a significant health hazard.
- Administration of radiation safety regulations, procedures, and training
- Licensed by the Illinois Division of Nuclear Safety (IDNS) to possess and use radioactive materials and radiation producing equipment
- Radiological Control Committee (RCC) establishes radiation safety and enforcement policies based on IDNS regulations and SIU-SOM's radioactive material license
- RCC reviews and approves research protocols requesting use of radioactive materials, X-ray, or laser equipment
- Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) is responsible for management of the Radiation Safety Program
- RSO works closely with the RCC to ensure safe practices and regulatory compliance to individuals using radiation sources and for the safety of faculty, staff, students, and visitors to the SIU-SOM