Welcome to the Breast Center at SIU School of Medicine, located in Simmons Cancer Institute at SIU. We are happy you chose the Breast Center website as your source of information regarding brest health services.
The Breast Center has been in existence since 1998.
|The lobby at Simmons Cancer Institute at SIU.|
It was one of the first one hundred breast centers to be awarded accreditation by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), a program administered by the American College of Surgeons. Our staff physicians are specifically trained in all aspects of breast health including breast cancer.
Our MISSION STATEMENT is to provide breast care to women in central and southern Illinois that is patient centered, comprehensive, multidisciplinary and research based for all our patients.
To help you navigate our website, here are a few tips.
- The Director's statement provides further information on the history of the breast center and quality of care provided at the Breast Center.
- The Mission Statement section provides information about the screening and diagnosis process with a list of services available.
- New patients will receive information on what to bring and how your care is arranged during the first visit at the Breast Center.
- You can learn about the Breast Center staff and other SIU, St.John's Hospital and Memorial Medical Center staff who are part of our "TEAM" in the staff biographies section.
- Information on our location is available in the Clinic Location section.
- Breast Cancer risk data from the American Cancer Society and Illinois Department of Public Health, Office of Epidemiology is available in the RISKS section.
- The Q&A items listed in the SCREENING section will help answer questions about the screening process for breast health concerns.
- Diagnostic breast procedures ordered when the screening mammogram is abnormal are described in the DIAGNOSTIC section of the website.
- Breast cancer research and how SIU School of Medicine is involved in research is described
- Persons who want to know more about the genetic link between breast and ovarian cancer should find useful information in the GENETICS section.
- Simmons Cancer Institute in cooperation with the American Cancer Society offers wigs, hats, caps and scarves free of charge.
- The Side-by-Side program offers patients help with the stress related to a cancer diagnosis. Yoga, Tai Chi, Reiki massage and classes that use a variety of techniques for stress reduction assist cancer patients and their families.
|Photo of some of the landscaping in front of the Simmons Cancer Institute at SIU|