Side by Side Wellness Program
The Side by Side Wellness Program provides support in conjunction with other health-care providers in the treatment of people living with cancer and their families. Its primary focus is twofold:
- Addressing the emotional, social and physical responses of patients to cancer as they undergo treatment of the disease as well as those of their families and caregivers;
- Addressing those same concerns as they may influence the long-term survival following their treatment.
Many patients respond differently to the diagnosis of cancer depending on the individual's situation and support network. A therapist is available to provide counseling services, to act as a patient advocate, and help patients use their own resources to be a partner alongside their health care team during the treatment of the cancer. Social work helps the individual navigate the health care system and identifies resources to help the patient get optimal care. Nutritional counseling is available to offset treatment-related nutritional deficits and to train patients to use diet as a way to decrease risk of cancer recurrence or development of new cancers. For those who wish to include spiritual healing in their cancer treatment, pastoral care counselors are also available through the Side-by-Side program.
This program works side by side with patients, families, caregivers and health care providers to address all aspects of cancer that influence outcome with an understanding that people experience illness through their physical, emotional and spiritual reactions and that each one influences the other.
- Fitness and Nutrition Classes Available at SCI
- Learn More About Symptom Management
- SIU Behavioral and Psychosocial Oncology
- Prevention Tips
- Screening Guidelines
- Illinois County by County Statewide Resources
- Patient Navigation Program
- Online Cancer Prevention and Detection Training
- View Event Calendar