- About Us
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Community Activities
- Project Approval
- For Media
Enos Elementary School
Enos Elementary School has a special honor among our community service destinations. The SIU School of Medicine and Enos School are partners.
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine has been part of the Springfield Public School District #186 Partners in Education (Adopt-a-School) program since 1987. A volunteer committee of employees coordinate efforts each year.
Enos has kindergarten through fifth grade students.
The school is located one block northwest of SIU's 801 N. Rutledge building, at 524 West Elliott. Physicans, staff and students are welcome to partner with the elementary school through any number of ways.
Examples of SIU support
- Mentoring/tutoring/reading program provided by medical students and some employees
- Annual art exhibit of Enos art projects in SIU's main lobby
- Mock physical exam experience in SIU's Professional Development Laboratory
- Shoes That Fit , a program organized by medical students to provide shoes for students
- New and gently used children’s items, including clothing - hats, mittens, scarves and coats each winter
- Reading materials for their library and ER (Energetic Readers) reading center
- School supplies each fall, including notebooks, pens and pencils, and art supplies
- New reading books each May for Enos students to take home for summer reading
- Box-Tops for Education, a program sponsored by General Mills to help schools earn money for items they need by collecting box tops from commonly used products
- Financial support for field trips
- Faculty luncheon during Teacher Appreciation Week in May
Volunteers are always needed and can often be matched to an area of interest or skill. SIU employees and students fill out a volunteer form. Sometimes the best thing that can be offered by an individual is to share a bit of time with an Enos student.
SIU employee volunteers come from various departments such as Education/Curriculum, Simmons Cancer Institute, Financial Affairs, Research Affairs, Alumnil Affairs,Clinical Departments and Public Affairs.
Mailing address is:
Enos Committee, SIU School of Medicine, P.O. Box 19621, Springfield, IL
ph. 217-545-2155 or email@example.com.