Office of Regulatory Compliance Mission Statement
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine (SOM) and related organizations wish to ensure that their affairs are conducted in accordance with applicable federal and state laws and regulations, program requirements from external fund sources, and policies and procedures of Southern Illinois University and its School of Medicine. Areas of applicability include but not limited to: billing of professional medical services, externally funded research, human subject research, fraud, waste and abuse, HIPAA , industry relations, and conflicts of interest/commitment.
The Mission of the Office of Regulatory Compliance’s is to assist the SOM in meeting its multi-faceted mission of education, research, patient care and service to the community while being compliant with associated laws and regulations, policies, and funding source mandates. The Office of Regulatory Compliance will have compliance oversight and in some situations direct operational responsibility to support the institution’s compliance obligations.
The Office of Regulatory Compliance will accomplish its mission as follows:
- By promoting a culture of compliant and ethical behavior at all levels of the organization.
- By identifying the possible compliance risks impacting the SOM and ensuring that these risks are eliminated or mitigated.
- By ensuring that all impacted SOM departments have operating policies and procedures that are documented, disseminated, up to date , and operational.
- By ensuring that all impacted community members have the appropriate knowledge, training and resources to perform their duties in a compliant manner.
- By ensuring that open and two-way lines of communication are maintained throughout the organization.
- Training and reinforcing the concept that all community members have a duty to report possible non-compliant activities and they may do so without fear of retaliation.
- By receiving and responding to reports of non-compliance in a timely manner and initiating corrective actions to mitigate future occurrences.
- By enhancing awareness and understanding of all applicable rules, regulations, policies and procedures through coordinated educational and training activities in conjunction with the various departments and units of the SOM.
- By monitoring for regulatory changes and recommending institutional responses to ensure continued compliance. Serving as a resource to the SOM community by providing research, analysis and regulatory guidance.
- By conducting both exploratory and issue-reported internal reviews.