Dr. Wesley McNeese
Office of Diversity, Multicultural and Minority Affairs
P.O. Box 19620
801 N. Rutledge Street
- Increase the number of students, faculty and staff who are underrepresented in medicine (UIM) at the SIU School of Medicine
- Assess UIM students' progress and provide appropriate interventions as necessary.
- Increase the success of students taking School of Medicine and NBME exams.
- Make resources available to students to assure successful matriculation and graduation from the SIU School of Medicine.
- Recruitment efforts and retention strategies for current UIM students, faculty and staff.
- Advocacy for UIM students.
- Regularly scheduled advisement meetings with UIM students
- Faculty sponsorship of UIM student associations.
- Networking opportunities with local UIM physicians, community leaders and School of Medicine minority alums.
- Small group gatherings to acquaint students with the School of Medicine and to help develop coping strategies.
- Workshops to assist with successful matriculation and "real life" skills.
- Tutorial assistance.
- A resource library that offers materials to assist academic preparation.
- Counseling for academic and personal concerns.
Community resource information as needed.
- Coordinated programs, training sessions and events that emphasize cultural diversity and culturally competent health care delivery.