Journal Club 2015
The Department of Medical Education's Journal Club provides people with an interest in Medical Education an opportunity to meet and discuss journal articles of importance to the field of Medical Education. Each month, generally the 3rd Tuesday of the month at 10:00 am in the Lincoln Conference Room, a member of the Dept. of Medical Education or the Dept. of Education and Curriculum will select an article for presentation. Members of the journal club not only include faculty, but those in adjunction and cross assignments are also included. The meetings are not limited to members, anyone interested may participate. The presenter will give an overview of the article, and then the rest of the meeting will focus on discussion of the article. Members discuss such things as weaknesses and strengths, implementations for the practice of Medical Education and extensions of the ideas.
- December 15, 2015 (Dr. Aimee Gardner-guest presenter) "Embracing ErrorsinSimulation-Based Training: TheEffect of ErrorTrainingon Retention and Transfer of Central Venous Catheter Skills" by Aimee K.Gardner,PhD,*KareemAbdelfattah,MD,*JohnWiersch,MD,† Rami A.Ahmed,DO,‡ and RossE.Willis,PhD†. Journal of Medical Education. (2015).
- November 17, 2015 (Karen Reynolds) "Interdisciplinary Communication and Collaboration Among Physicians, Nurses, and Unlicensed Assistive Personnel" by Gwendolyn Lancaster, EdD, MSN, RN, CCRN1, Stephanie Kolakowsky-Hayner, PhD2, Joann Kovacich, PhD3, & Nancy Greer-Williams, PhD, MPH4. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, (2015). Vol. 47, No. 3. pp. 275-284.
- October 20, 2015 - Cancelled
- September 15, 2015 (Leslie Montgomery)
"Training the Next Generation of Doctors in Palliative Care Is the Key to the New Era of Value-Based Care" by William H. Frist, MD, and Martha K. Presley, MD, JD. Academic Medicine, (2015). Vol 90, No. 3. pp. 268-271.
- August 18, 2015 (Reed Williams)
“More Consensus than Idiosyncrasy: Categorizing Social Judgments to Examine Variability in Mini-CEX Ratings" by Andrea Gingerich, ND, MMEd, Cees P.M. van der Vleuten, PhD, Kevin W. Eva, PhD, and Glenn Regehr, PhD. Academic Medicine,(2014). Vol. 89, No. 11. pp. 1510-1519.
- July 21, 2015 (Jeanne Koehler)
"Moral Maps and Medical Imaginaries: Clinical Tourism at Malawi's College of Medicine" by Claire L. Wendland. American Anthropologist, Vol. 114, No.1 (2012) pp. 108-122.
- June 16, 2015-Cancelled
- May 19, 2015(Wendi El-Amin)
"The Struggling Student: A Thematic Analysis from the Self-Regulated Learning Perspective" by Rakesh Patel, Carolyn Tarrant, Sheila Bonas, Janet Yates, & John Sandars. Medical Education (2015); 49: 417-426.
- April 21, 2015 (Kelly Pickrell) "Ten Tips for Receiving Feedback Effectively in Clinical Practice" by Ali H. Algiraigri. Medical Education Online (2014)19: 25141 - http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/meo.v19.25141
- March 17, 2015 (Heeyoung Han)
"Septris: A Novel, Mobile, Online, Simulation Game That Improves Sepsis Recognition and Management" by Kambria H. Evans, MEd, William Daines, MD Jamie Tsui, Matthew Strehlow, MD, Paul Maggio, MD, and Lisa Shieh, MD, PhD. Academic Medicine, Vol. 90, No. 2 (February 2015) pp. 180-184.
- February 17, 2015 (Anna Cianciolo)
"Self-explanation in learning clinical reasoning: the added value of examples and prompts" by Martine Chamberland, Silvia Mamede,Christina St-Onge, Jean Setrakian, Linda Bergeron, & Henk Schmidt. Medical Education, 49 (2015) pp. 193-202.
- January 20, 2015-Cancelled