Faculty Profiles : Dr. Jeanne L. Koehler
Jeanne L. Koehler, PhD
Assistant Professor and Director of Academy for Scholarship in Education, Department of Medical Education
913 N Rutledge St., Rm. 1241
P.O. Box 19681
Springfield, IL 62794-9681
217-545-9502 (phone), 217-545-0120 (fax)
- Ph.D. 2013 Curriculum and Instruction, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Ed.M. 2005 Human Resource Education, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- B.A. 1996 English, Concentration in Secondary Education, Eureka College
Dr. Koehler’s research projects include:
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Educational Innovation
- Social Entrepreneurship that Intersects with Education
- Experiential Learning
- Educational Third Spaces
- Organizational Change
Her teaching interests and experiences include:
- Reflective Teacher Practice
- Approaches to Teaching and Mentoring
- Educational Inquiry (Self Study)
- Teacher Assessment
- Innovation and Social Change
- Teacher Identity
- Instructional Design
- Curriculum Development
- Assessment of Student Learning
- Interdisciplinary Teaching and Research
- Performance Based Learning
- Classroom Management
- Koehler, J. L. (2014, May). Me-search, selfstudy, and teacher identity. Paper presented at the 2014 International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry, Champaign-Urbana, IL.
- Koehler, J. L. & Bresler, L. (2013, April). Project-based, environmental curriculum in an urban, high-poverty setting: A case of a socially entrepreneurial teacher. Paper presented at the meeting of American Educational Research Association, San Francisco, CA.
- Koehler, J. L. (2012, May). First year English teachers: A patchwork of reflections. Paper presented at the International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry, Champaign-Urbana, IL.
- Koehler, J. L. & Ellinger, A. D. (2012, February). The “practice” of planned change. Paper presented at the meeting of the Academy of Human Resource Development, Denver, CO.
- Koehler, J. L. & Bresler, L. (2011, April). Socially entrepreneurial teachers: Creating scientific engagement through social outreach. Paper presented at the meeting of American Educational Research Association, New Orleans, LA.
- Abd-El-Khalick, F., Bresler, L., Erickson, F., Gaffney, J. S., Gao, W., Haythornthwaite, C., Koehler, J., Lederman, N. G., Martin, A., & Price, R. L. (2011, April). Toward a framework for conceptualizing and effecting teacher entrepreneurial leadership for transforming STEM teaching and learning. Symposium conducted at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New Orleans, LA.
- Koehler, J. L. (2010). Who gave birth to whom. Paper presented at the 2010 International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry, Champaign-Urbana, IL.
- Koehler, J. L., Price, R. L., Gaffney, J., Bresler, L., Abd El Khalick, F., & Martin, A. (2010). EnLiST: Developing entrepreneurial teacher leaders. Paper presented at the National Science Foundation 2010 Math Science Partnership Learning Network Conference, Washington, D.C.
- Han, H. and Koehler, J. L. (2009). Students’ perception and emotion in defining quality of online learning. Poster session co-authored with Dr. Heeyoung Han at the American Educational Research Association 2009 Conference.
- National Education Association. $1000 grant for a collaborative service project with McLean County Habitat for Humanity in collaboration with IWU Student Education Association president (Fall 2013).
- Structuring Faculty Work Around Student Learning (recipient of grant authored by Robin Leavitt and Leah Nillas for Educational Studies). Teagle Foundation (Spring 2013).
- Illinois Wesleyan University Course Development Grant for Reading Across the Content Areas (Fall 2012).
- Contributor, Integration and Modeling of Instructional Technology in Teacher Education, PNC Foundation, with Robin Leavitt (primary author, Frank Boyd). Recipient of $25,000 grant to embed technology in upper level Curriculum and Pedagogy course.
- Illinois Wesleyan University Course Development Grant for infusing technology into a secondary education methods course (Fall 2011).
- Illinois Wesleyan University 2013 and 2014 Professor of the Year, nominated by the Student Senate.
- Panhellenic Professor of the Year in Spring 2013, nominated by the sorority women of Illinois Wesleyan University.
- The William Chandler Bagley Education award and scholarship, University of Illinois (2009).
- The Donna Riechmann Education award and scholarship, University of Illinois (2008).