Faculty Profiles : Dr. Nicole K. Roberts
Nicole K. Roberts, PhD
Assistant Professor, Department of Medical Education
913 Rutledge St., Rm. 1241
P.O. Box 19681
Springfield, IL 62794-9681
217-545-2103 (phone), 217-545-0120 (fax)
- Ph.D. 2005 Educational Policy Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL
- MSEd 1995 Educational Administration and Foundations, Illinois State University, Normal IL
- B.A. 1985 English, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Roberts, NK, Williams, RG. (In Press). The hidden costs of failing to fail residents. Journal Graduate Medical Education.
- Dobbins, M., Roberts, N. K., Vicary, S., Seale, D., Bogdanich, R, and Record, J. (in press).The consultation conference: A new model of collaboration for child psychiatry and primary care. Academic Psychiatry.
- Cook, D. A., Andriole, D. A,, Durning, S. J, Roberts, N. K, and Triola, M. M. (2010). Longitudinal Research Databases in Medical Education: Facilitating the Study of Educational Outcomes Over Time and Across Institutions. Academic Medicine, 85(8) 1340-1346..
- Andriole, D. A., Ephgrave, K. , Lypson M. L, Mavis, B, McDougal, L, and Roberts, N. K. (2010). Predictors of Full-time Faculty Appointment among Contemporary U.S. Medical School Graduates: Implications for Academic Medicine Workforce Diversity. Academic Medicine, 85(7):1250-7.
- Roberts, N. K., Klamen, D. L. (2010) The Case for Teaching Explicit Reading Strategies to Medical Students: A Comment on Strategies to Read and Learn: Overcoming Learning by Consumption by Danielle McNamara. Medical Education, 44(4) p. 328-9.
- Williams, R. G., Roberts, N. K., Schwind, C., and Dunnington, G. L. (2009). The nature of general surgery resident performance problems. Surgery, 145(2) p. 651-658.
- Roberts, N. K., Williams, R. G., Kim, M. J. and Dunnington, G. L. (2009). The briefing, intraoperative teaching, debriefing model for teaching in the operating room. Journal American College of Surgeons, 208 (2), p299-303.
- Roberts, N. K. (April 2008). Critique and Video Vignettes of Teaching Models for Extending Psychiatric Care for Children. Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the American Telehealth Association.
- Williams, R. G., Klamen, D. L., Mayer, D., Valaski, M., and Roberts, N. K. (October 2007). A sampling strategy for promoting and assessing medical student retention of physical examination skills. Academic Medicine, RIME supplement.
- Roberts, N. K. (January 2006). Leadership Development at Multispecialty Clinics. Almanac of the Alliance for Continuing Medical Education.
- Da Rosa, D., Simpson, D, Lund, M., Wendel, K, and Roberts, NK. (2011). Faculty Development. In Clerkship Director's Guidebook, B. Morgenstern, Ed.
- Roberts, N. K. (2010). Documenting the trajectory of your teaching. In An Introduction to Medical Teaching, W. Jeffries and K. Huggett, Eds.
- Roberts, N. K. (April 2011) Outcomes Assessment 101. Presented at Washington State University School of Veterinary Medicine.
- Roberts, N. K. (April 2011). Real Time Assessment in the Workplace. Presented at Washington State University School of Veterinary Medicine.
- Roberts, N. K. (April 2011). Medical Teaching Academies and the Teaching Academies Movement. Discussion Group led at Washington State University School of Veterinary Medicine.
- Roberts, N. K. (April 2011). Engaging Large Groups: Active Learning in the Large Lecture Room. Discussion group led at Washington State University School of Veterinary Medicine.
- Roberts, N. K. (April 2011). Scholarship in Teaching: Scholarship Revisited, Including the Role of Teaching in Tenure and Promotion. Discussion group led at Washington State University School of Veterinary Medicine.
- Roberts, N. K. (April 2011). Deep or Broad? Teaching Basic Sciences in a Clinical Curriculum. Discussion group led at Washington State University School of Veterinary Medicine.
- Roberts, N.K. (December 2010). To Test or Not To Test: Making Consequential Decisions about the Underperforming Student. Presented at Aichi Medical University, Nagoya, Japan.
- Roberts, N. K. (December 2009). Hit the Ground Running: A Faculty Development Series for SIU School of Medicine. Presented at Aichi Medical University, Nagoya, Japan.
- Roberts, N. K. (September 2009). Scholarship in Education: Opportunities and Barriers. Presented at Northeastern Ohio Universities Colleges of Medicine and Pharmacy, Rootstown, Ohio.
- Roberts, N. K. (February 2009). Facilitator Training for Problem Based Learning. City of Edmonton, CA.
- Roberts, N. K. (June 2008). Here Come the Millenials. Association for Standardized Patient Educators Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX.
- Roberts, N. K. (August 2007) Facilitator Training for Problem Based Learning. Vanderbilt University.
- Roberts, N. K, and Borgia, P. T. (February 2007) Problem Based Learning Workshop, Medical and Allied Health Faculty, King Abdulaziz University, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Nursing Clinical Simulation Laboratory at Memorial Medical Center, Department of Defense W81XWH-09-2-0089. $850,000. Reed G. Williams, PI. Nicole K. Roberts, Education Specialist, SIU Site Director
- Cianciolo, A. T. (PI), & Roberts, N. K. (Co-PI). An Integrative, Multi-Disciplinary Review of Small-Group Collaborative Learning. Society of Directors of Research in Medical Education. Funded, $4000. November 2011 – October 2013.