Faculty Profiles : Dr. Nicole K. Roberts
Nicole K. Roberts, PhD
Assistant Professor, Department of Medical Education
913 Rutledge St., Rm. 1241
P.O. Box 19681
Springfield, IL 62794-9681
217-545-2103 (phone), 217-545-0120 (fax)
- Ph.D. 2005 Educational Policy Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL
- MSEd 1995 Educational Administration and Foundations, Illinois State University, Normal IL
- B.A. 1985 English, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- Roberts, NK, Williams, RG. (In Press). The hidden costs of failing to fail residents. Journal Graduate Medical Education.
- Dobbins, M., Roberts, N. K., Vicary, S., Seale, D., Bogdanich, R, and Record, J. (in press).The consultation conference: A new model of collaboration for child psychiatry and primary care. Academic Psychiatry.
- Roberts, NK, Williams, RG, Schwind, CJ, Sutyak, JA, McDowell, C, Griffen, D, Wall, J, Sanfey, H, Chestnut, A, Meier, AH, Wohltmann, C, Clark, TR, Wetter, N. The impact of brief team communication, leadership and team behavior training on ad hoc team performance in trauma care settings. (In press) American Journal of Surgery.
- Roberts NK, Williams RG, Schwind CJ, Sutyak JA, McDowell C, Griffen D, Wall J, Sanfey H, Chestnut A, Meier AH, Wohltmann C, Clark TR, Wetter N.The impact of brief team communication, leadership and team behavior training on ad hoc team performance in trauma care settings. Am J Surg. 2014 Feb;207(2):170-8.
- Roberts, NK. Coplit LD. Future focus for professional development. Teach Learn Med. 2013;25 Suppl 1:S57-61.
- Robinson, S, Roberts, NK, Dzara, K. Residency Coordinator Perceptions of Psychiatry ResidencyCandidates: A Pilot Study. Academic Psychiatry. 2013; 37(4): 265-7.
- Cianciolo AT, Williams RG, Klamen DL, Roberts NK. Biomedical knowledge, clinical cognition, and diagnostic justification: A structural equation model. Med Educ 2013; 47(3): 309-16.
- Taira T, Santen SA, Roberts NK. Developing a Taxonomy of "Problem Residents". Ann Emerg Med. 2012;60(5):S169-S.
- McDowell CM, Roberts NK, Sutyak J, Griffen D, Wall J, Schwind C, et al. Be SMARTT About Trauma: An Interdisciplinary Educational Approach to Improving Teamwork in the Trauma Bay. Ann Emerg Med. 2012;60(5):S172-S3
- Taira T, Roberts NK, Santen SA. Defining Professionalism issues Among "Problem Residents". Ann Emerg Med. 2012;60(5):S167-S
- Roberts NK, Williams RG, Kilingensmith M, Sullivan M, Boehler, M, Hickson G, Kim MJ, Klamen DL, LeBlang T, Schwind C, Titchena, K, & Dunnington GL. The case of the entitled resident: A composite case study of a resident performance problem syndrome with interdisciplinary commentary. Medical Teacher. 2012; 34(12):1024-32.
- Meier AH, Boehler ML, McDowell CM, Schwind C, Markwell S, Roberts NK, et al. A Surgical Simulation Curriculum for Senior Medical Students Based on TeamSTEPPS. Arch Surg. 2012;147(8):761-6.
- McDougle L, Mavis BE, Jeffe DB, Roberts NK, Ephgrave K, Hageman HL, Lypson ML, and Andriole DA Academic and professional career outcomes of medical school graduates who failed USMLE Step 1 on the first attempt. Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract. 2012 Apr 7.
- Roberts NK, Brenner MJ, Williams RG, Kim MJ, & Dunnington GL. (2012). Capturing the teachable moment: A grounded theory study of verbal teaching interaction in the operating room. Surgery. 151(5): 643-650.
- Sanfey H, Da Rosa D, Hickson G, Williams B, Ranjan S, Boehler M, Klingensmith M, Klamen D, Mellinger J, Hebert J, Richard K, Roberts NK , Schwind C., Williams R, Sachdeva A, Dunnington G. (2012). Pursuing professional accountability. An evidence based approach to addressing residents with behavior problems. Archives of Surgery.147 (7):642-647.
- Rogers D, Boehler M, Roberts NK,& Johnson V. (2012). Using the hidden curriculum to teach professionalism during the surgery clerkship. Journal of Surgical Education. 69(3):423-7.
- Cook, D. A., Andriole, D. A,, Durning, S. J, Roberts, N. K, and Triola, M. M. (2010). Longitudinal Research Databases in Medical Education: Facilitating the Study of Educational Outcomes Over Time and Across Institutions. Academic Medicine, 85(8) 1340-1346..
- Andriole, D. A., Ephgrave, K. , Lypson M. L, Mavis, B, McDougal, L, and Roberts, N. K. (2010). Predictors of Full-time Faculty Appointment among Contemporary U.S. Medical School Graduates: Implications for Academic Medicine Workforce Diversity. Academic Medicine, 85(7):1250-7.
- Roberts, N. K., Klamen, D. L. (2010) The Case for Teaching Explicit Reading Strategies to Medical Students: A Comment on Strategies to Read and Learn: Overcoming Learning by Consumption by Danielle McNamara. Medical Education, 44(4) p. 328-9.
- Williams, R. G., Roberts, N. K., Schwind, C., and Dunnington, G. L. (2009). The nature of general surgery resident performance problems. Surgery, 145(2) p. 651-658.
- Roberts, N. K., Williams, R. G., Kim, M. J. and Dunnington, G. L. (2009). The briefing, intraoperative teaching, debriefing model for teaching in the operating room. Journal American College of Surgeons, 208 (2), p299-303.
- Roberts, N. K. (April 2008). Critique and Video Vignettes of Teaching Models for Extending Psychiatric Care for Children. Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the American Telehealth Association.
- Da Rosa, D., Simpson, D, Lund, M., Wendel, K, and Roberts, NK. (2011). Faculty Development. In Clerkship Director's Guidebook, B. Morgenstern, Ed.
- Roberts, N. K. (2010). Documenting the trajectory of your teaching. In An Introduction to Medical Teaching, W. Jeffries and K. Huggett, Eds.
- Han, H., Roberts, N., & Korte, R. (2013). Learning in the Real Place: Medical Students’ Learning and Socialization in Clerkships. CGEA. Cincinnati, OH, March 2013
- Roberts, N. K. (April 2011) Outcomes Assessment 101. Presented at Washington State University School of Veterinary Medicine.
- Roberts, N. K. (April 2011). Real Time Assessment in the Workplace. Presented at Washington State University School of Veterinary Medicine.
- Roberts, N. K. (April 2011). Medical Teaching Academies and the Teaching Academies Movement. Discussion Group led at Washington State University School of Veterinary Medicine.
- Roberts, N. K. (April 2011). Engaging Large Groups: Active Learning in the Large Lecture Room. Discussion group led at Washington State University School of Veterinary Medicine.
- Roberts, N. K. (April 2011). Scholarship in Teaching: Scholarship Revisited, Including the Role of Teaching in Tenure and Promotion. Discussion group led at Washington State University School of Veterinary Medicine.
- Roberts, N. K. (April 2011). Deep or Broad? Teaching Basic Sciences in a Clinical Curriculum. Discussion group led at Washington State University School of Veterinary Medicine.
- Roberts, N.K. (December 2010). To Test or Not To Test: Making Consequential Decisions about the Underperforming Student. Presented at Aichi Medical University, Nagoya, Japan.
- Roberts, N. K. (December 2009). Hit the Ground Running: A Faculty Development Series for SIU School of Medicine. Presented at Aichi Medical University, Nagoya, Japan.
- Roberts, N. K. (September 2009). Scholarship in Education: Opportunities and Barriers. Presented at Northeastern Ohio Universities Colleges of Medicine and Pharmacy, Rootstown, Ohio.
- Roberts, N. K. (February 2009). Facilitator Training for Problem Based Learning. City of Edmonton, CA.
- Roberts, N. K. (June 2008). Here Come the Millenials. Association for Standardized Patient Educators Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX.
- Roberts, N. K. (August 2007) Facilitator Training for Problem Based Learning. Vanderbilt University.
- Roberts, N. K, and Borgia, P. T. (February 2007) Problem Based Learning Workshop, Medical and Allied Health Faculty, King Abdulaziz University, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Nursing Clinical Simulation Laboratory at Memorial Medical Center, Department of Defense W81XWH-09-2-0089. $850,000. Reed G. Williams, PI. Nicole K. Roberts, Education Specialist, SIU Site Director
- Cianciolo, A. T. (PI), & Roberts, N. K. (Co-PI). An Integrative, Multi-Disciplinary Review of Small-Group Collaborative Learning. Society of Directors of Research in Medical Education. Funded, $4000. November 2011 – October 2013.