Faculty Profiles : Theresa Waters, RN, BSN
Theresa Waters, RN, BSN
EHR Educational Specialist, OEC
801 North Rutledge St. Room 3129
P.O. Box 19622
Springfield, IL 62794-9622
217-545-6963 (phone), 217-545-0192 (fax)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville
- American Society of Training and Development (ASTD) Training Certificate Program
- Certified Technical Trainer (CTT) Certified Professional
Research interests related to the electronic medical record (EMR) as it relates to medical student education:
- Preserving Patient Relationship-centered Care While Utilizing and EMR
- Medical students' perceptions of an EMR prior to and after experience with an EMR in clinical practice
- The Importance of Language Characteristics in Documenting Clinical Encounters
Involved in all aspects of Centricity (SIU’s EMR) related to medical students, ensuring medical school curriculum requirements are addressed at each level of implementation. Assists with the development of student-specific encounter forms within the school’s EMR. Provides training and individual assistance to students. Consults with faculty and curriculum committees, providing a comprehensive approach to EMR implementation. Serves on the following committees: 1.) Educational Applications of Health Information Technology and 2) New Technologies in Medical Education.
- Han, H., Waters, T., & Lopp, L. (2013). Improving Students’ EHR Communication Skills. CGEA. Cincinnati, OH, March 2013
- Han, H., Waters, T., & Lopp, L. (2013). Can Students’ EHR Communication Skills Improve with Online Learning? 4th Annual Symposium on Teaching and Learning.
- Waters T, & Lopp L. (2012) Bringing the EMR to second year medical students. 3rd Annual Symposium of Teaching and Learning, SIU School of Medicine. Springfield, IL, April 2012
- Han H, Lopp L, & Waters T. (2012) Preserving patient relationship-centered care while utilizing EMR’s: Self-study module for Year 2 medical students. Saint Louis, MO, CGEA March 2012.
Incorporating EMR education into medical school curriculum, 1st Annual Symposium on Teaching and Learning, SIU School of Medicine, February 2, 2010