Medical Student Education Program
||Amber Barnhart, MD
Director of Medical Student Education
(Kim Colgan, office secretary)
||Tracey Smith, PHCNS-BC, MS
Medical Student Education
Utilizing more than 160 family physician preceptors located throughout Illinois, the FCM Medical Student Education Program assists in the education of the medical students in the third year clerkship. The strengths of this clerkship as identified by students are:
- Great preceptors as role models
- Great exposure to many patients and a variety of cases
- Great autonomy and involvement in patient care.
- The great experience of working in a community-based practice and functioning as a team member
- The opportunity to learn outside the Springfield academic center
The department strongly encourages and supports an active Family Medicine Interest Group that any and all medical students are welcome to be a part of from year one through year four of medical school. Please see the link below for more information and calendar of events.
Family Medicine Interest Group (FMIG)
eGeneralist, the FMIG's quartely electronic newsletter
- The department begins its work with medical students in the first week of medical school, with faculty members and residents in Carbondale serving as physician mentors, tutors, and lecturers for the year one curriculum.
- The department coordinates the population health and prevention curriculum.
- Many faculty members and resident physicians serve as year-long mentors for Year 2 students.
- Dr. Cynthia Thomas serves as clinical co-director of the ten-week Year 2 Endocrine, Reproductive, Gastrointestinal Unit.
- Many FCM faculty members assist in implementing the ERG unit sessions, serve as tutors for the unit, and participate in the second year examinations.
- FCM faculty members teach in the Doctoring Curriculum, which emphasizes the integration of clinical medicine, clinical skills and professionalism.
- FCM faculty members teach and coordinate the population health and prevention curriculum.
- Preceptor-based Elective Sign-up
- This information is available to current medical students only. If you are a student and need the link to this information, please contact Kim Colgan at email@example.com.