About the Foundation
The Mission and Purpose of SIU Foundation
The Southern Illinois University Foundation, established in 1942, provides alumni and other friends a means to invest in the future of their University.
Our mission is to maximize private support for Southern Illinois University Carbondale to assist the University in achieving its long-range goals. The SIU Foundation:
- solicits and accepts gifts
- manages and invests funds and property prudently
- distributes funds and property for educational and charitable purposes.
The SIU Foundation is an independent, nonprofit corporation that exists solely to serve the educational, service and research missions of SIU Carbondale. It is a designated 501(c)(3) organization. The Foundation has appropriate approval from the Internal Revenue Service to issue tax deductible receipts for private gifts received to support Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
How We Manage Gifts
- Gifts given to the Foundation are used as the donor advises. A majority of the contributions are restricted for scholarships, a particular college, specific departments or other designated purposes.
- Gifts of securities are promptly converted to cash.
- The Foundation generates a gift acknowledgement which will be mailed promptly.
- The Foundation disburses non-endowed funds for the benefit of SIU.
- Endowments are assessed an annualized fee of 1.5% of the market value.
- SIU Carbondale and the SIU Foundation retain six percent of all gifts to enhance philanthropic-related initiatives
Southern Illinois University Foundation
School of Medicine
927 N. Rutledge Street -
Mail Code 9666
Springfield, IL 62794