Donor Bill of Rights
We subscribe to the following "Donor Bill of Rights," which is endorsed by the American Association of Fund-Raising Council, the Association for Healthcare Philanthropy, the Council for Advancement in Support of Education (CASE), and the Association for Fundraising Professionals (AFP).
Donor Bill of Rights*
Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the not-for-profit organizations and causes they are asked to support, it is declared that all donors have these rights.
To be informed of the organization's mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization's governing board and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization's most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers or employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
*"A Donor Bill of Rights," CASE, 1994
Toll Free (877) 435-7766
Southern Illinois University Foundation
927 N. Rutledge St. /
PO Box 9666
Springfield, IL 62797-9666