Legal Papers/Subpeona Policy
- If it is a medical liability situation, the server should be directed to the Risk Management Office of the appropriate hospital.
- For legal papers other than a medical liability situation, the program coordinator should be contacted to reach the resident and to facilitate the meeting between the server and the resident, but should not be physically present unless requested by the resident.
- The resident should immediately notify the Risk Management Office at the appropriate hospital that he/she has been served in a medical liability claim and should be prepared to provide the name of the case.
- The resident should not appear for or schedule a deposition without the assistance of the appropriate Risk Manager.
- No staff person should accept legal papers on behalf of any resident.
Last Approval Date: May 16, 2014
Effective Date: May 16, 2014