Message from Dr. Andrew J. Varney, Residency Program Director:
Welcome to the Southern Illinois School of Medicine Internal Medicine web pages. We encourage you to browse through our site and find out why previous medical students have chosen us for the next phase of their medical career. Our dedicated faculty and staff, our small size and unique approach to teaching make us an excellent choice.
Our program continues to pioneer educational innovation. Lessons learned from the Academic Chronic Care Collaborative (2001-2005) and the Educational Innovations project (2006-2016) continue to inform how best to improve our program and also help shape the future teaching content, structure and delivery across residency programs in Internal Medicine.
Our explicit training objective is to graduate residents who feel they are un-restricted in their career options. SIU IM program graduates are well prepared for a variety of practice settings as generalists or subspecialist fellows in academics or private practice.
The Right Fit
After twenty years serving as program director at SIU the question of an applicant’s fit is measured by a diverse collection of knowledge, attitudes and skills. Although, not absolute, applicants who identify with the mission of SIU School of Medicine advance the objective of serving the residents of Central and Southern Illinois.
From 2013 – 2017
- Matched applicants had mean Step 1 (228) and Step 2 (234) scores.
- US Graduates, US IMG’s and permanent residents comprise >90% of matched applicants.
- A majority either were born, lived, educated, or worked in Illinois.
- Superior Communication and team building skills
- Capacity to adopt a growth mindset and be “coachable”
- Capacity to self-direct/monitor your improvement and development of compentency
- Capacity to identify what you don’t know and develop the evidence based medicine skills to answer clinical questions.
- A commitment to professionalism and personal wellness
- Passion for patient safety, quality improvement and teaching