Southern Illinois University School of Medicine

Southern Illinois University School of Medicine Office of Human Resources


Application Process: Frequently Asked Questions
(Civil Service Employment)



How long will my application for Civil Service Employment stay on file?

Once you create an application for Civil Service Employment in our online system, the information will stay in the system indefinitely. So that we may always have current and accurate credentials to consider and to refer to our hiring departments, we ask that you keep your application materials up-to-date with any changes in demographics, employment, and other pertinent information.

May I submit a resume with my application?

Yes, resumes may be submitted as a supplement to the application for Civil Service Employment, but may not replace the application. Transcripts, DD214 forms, and letters of reference should also be submitted at the time of application.

Should I tailor my application to the specific job for which I am applying?

No, we want to know your complete education and employment history and ask that you keep your application materials up-to-date with any changes to ensure we have the most current and accurate information. You will continue to use your online application for Civil Service Employment to apply for positions in which you are interested.

If my employment or demographic information has changed, how do I update my application?

Go to and click “Current Openings”. Log on to your account using your username and password. You can edit your demographic information by clicking the “Edit Account Information” button. To update your employment information, go to your “application Materials” page and click on the “edit” button next to the “application for Civil Service Employment (Part 1)”. Go to the “Employment” section and make the necessary updates.

I already have an application on file. How do I apply for an open vacancy?

Go to and click “Current Openings”. Click the “Search Jobs” link, select the category you would like to search, and click “Search”. If you find a vacancy in which you are interested, review the “Job Details” and click “Apply to Job” at the bottom of the page. You must complete and upload (if required) all applicable application materials specified in the “How to Apply” section on the “Job Details” page in order to be considered an applicant for the vacancy.


What score do I need to achieve in order to pass the exam and be placed on the active register?

A minimum score of 70 is needed to pass any examination, unless there is a screen-out element on the examination.

What is a screen-out element?

A screen-out element is any portion of the exam that must be individually passed in order to pass the entire exam. For example, the screen-out could be a pass/fail words per minute typing requirement. Therefore, you would have to achieve an exam score of 70 or above AND pass the screen-out element(s) to pass the overall exam.

I am a military veteran. Can I receive additional points on my exam?

If you are a veteran and can supply the Office of Human Resources with a copy of your DD214, DD215 or NGB22 form or other appropriate documentation that shows your branch of service, dates of service and character of discharge, you may be eligible for additional points. Veteran's preference points are only added to passing exam scores.

When and how will I be notified regarding the results of the examination?

Examination results will be sent to the email address associated with your online applicant account. If you do not receive your examination results within 2 weeks of testing, please contact 217-545-0223 or email to inquire about your test.

Can I get an explanation of my exam score?

Yes, you may contact the Office of Human Resources to inquire about the breakdown of your exam score. If the exam is comprised of various components, we should be able to tell you how you scored based on each of these components. However you will not be able to see your scored examination.

Can I retake an exam?

Yes, you are allowed three rewrites per twelve-month period following completion of the original exam. In most cases, 30 calendar days must have elapsed between rewrites.

Which positions are on open and continuous testing?

Go to and click on “Current Openings” and search “Civil Service – Ongoing Recruitment” to view positions to which you may apply without having to wait for a posted vacancy.



How are individuals referred for interviews?

After you pass an exam your name will be placed on the active employment register for that job title, in order by score. When there is a vacant position for that specific title, an email will be sent to those on the register to inquire of their interest for that particular vacancy. Candidates who respond and indicate their interest are referred to the employing department for an interview in order of their ranking. The employing department is eligible to receive three candidates.

What is an employment register?

An employment register is simply a list of every candidate that has passed a civil service exam for a specific job title, in order by numerical exam score. Every Civil Service classification has a separate employment register.

If I am one of the candidates in highest standing on the register, how soon will I be contacted to interview?

The Office of Human Resources can not predict this; once candidates have been referred to the hiring department, they coordinate the scheduling of interviews based upon the interview teams´ availability.

If I am contacted for an interview, where can I find a copy of the position description to review in preparation for the interview?

Go to, click on “Current Openings”. Log on to your account using your username and password. Click the “Positions For Which You Have Applied” link and view the job details for the corresponding vacancy. The link to the position description will be located in the “How To Apply” section.

If I decline an interview for a position, will it harm my chances for being contacted for other positions that are open?

No, it is our desire to make excellent job matches and we can only do this with your help. If you are contacted regarding an interview opportunity and you decide that you are not interested, you may turn down that interview without affecting your ability to be contacted for future vacancies within that classification.

If I need to cancel a job interview, who should I contact?

If you are unable to attend a scheduled job interview with a hiring department, you should contact the interviewing department. If you do not have the necessary contact information, please contact Human Resources at 545-1477.

After interviewing, I decided that the position is not for me. What should I do?

If you interview for a position and, after hearing more about that specific vacancy, determine that you are not interested in being considered for hire, please contact the interviewing department or the Office of Human Resources at 545-1477. Removing your name from the candidate pool for this vacancy will not impact your ability to be referred for future vacancies in that same classification; however, waiting until a hire decision is made and then declining the job offer may.

Applicant Status

How long will my name remain on the active employment register?

In general, your score will remain active on the register as long as: 1) you respond to any contacts made by Human Resources or a hiring department representative to determine your continued interest or to schedule an interview by the deadline given, 2) there are no changes made to the examination or the minimum qualifications by the State Universities Civil Service System, and 3) you keep Human Resources informed of your current contact information via the application Update form.

I received a letter in the mail saying that my name was removed from the register. Can I be reinstated?

If you are removed from the employment register due to failure to respond to an interviewing notice or letter of interest, you may request in writing to be reinstated to the register within one year of the removal date. The request should be sent directly to the Office of Human Resources at: P.O. Box 19601, Springfield, IL 62794-9601.

I am on the register. Do I need to reapply when there is another opening in the same classification?

There are two ways to apply for a vacancy if your name is already on the register for a classification. 1) You can apply for an opening by clicking the “Apply to Job” button on the “Job Details” page of a specific vacancy when searching current openings at This will attach your name and application materials to that vacancy; or 2) once your name is active on the employment register and there is a new vacancy with the same title, an email will be sent to you to inquire of your interest for that particular vacancy. If you respond and indicate your interest, your name and application materials will be attached to that vacancy for consideration. If your score on the register is reached, your name will be referred to the employing department for an interview. The employing department is eligible to receive three candidates.

I have taken a job elsewhere and am no longer interested in employment with the School of Medicine. Whom should I contact?

If you are no longer interested in employment opportunities at the School of Medicine, contact the Office of Human Resources at 545-1477 and ask to be removed from the active employment register. You can request reinstatement to the register, in writing, up to one year after the removal date, provided that the qualifications and/or exam have not changed.

"The mission of the SIU School of Medicine is to assist the people of central and southern Illinois in meeting their health care needs through education, patient care, research, and service to the community."


Connect on Facebook More About SIU SOM on YouTubeLinked In