Medical Library / Department of Information and Communication Sciences
How Do I ...?
Borrowing and Renewing Material
- Renew checked out items?
- Items checked out from SIU Medical Library:
Call the Circulation Desk at 217.545.2122 or stop by in person and ask to have the items renewed.
- Items checked out from another library through I-Share:
See the instructions for Borrowing Materials Through the I-Share VuFind Catalog
- Items from another library obtained through Interlibrary Loan (not through I-Share):
Contact the Interlibrary Loan Department at 217.545.2124 or email Int.Lib.Loan@siumed.edu.
- Request books, media and other materials from another library?
- Use I-Share VuFind to search for library materials in Illinois, check the availability of items, and place requests. Users must create a new account the first time they request items through VuFind. See the Interlibrary Loan page for more information on requesting an item from another library. Paper request forms are available at the Circulation Desk or use our online book request form.
- Request an article not available in the Medical Library?
- Paper request forms are available at the Circulation Desk or use our online article request form. For more information see the Interlibrary Loan page.
- The item that I want is already checked out. What can I do?
- Call the Circulation desk at 217.545.2122, email email@example.com, or stop by the Circulation desk in person to ask for a hold to be put on the item.
- Access library resources offcampus?
- Currently, resources that are linked through the proxy server can be accessed by School of Medicine students and employees using their siumed.edu email ids and passwords.
- Access the Library's mobile web site?
- The mobile web site URL is http://www.siumed.edu/lib/m/.
Alternatively, if you have a QR code reader on your phone scan this code:
: (NOTE: free QR readers are available for iPhone, Android and Blackberry)
- Reserve a laptop or LCD projector?
- Call the Reference desk at 217.545.2113 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Conference Rooms and Teleconferencing / Presentations
- Reserve a Library conference room?
- The conference room can all be reserved on Oracle Calendar. For more information on the conference rooms and for contact information see the Library Conference Rooms page.
- Schedule teleconferencing?
- (restricted to SIUSM only) Go to my.siumed.edu and look in the Information Resources section for information on scheduling teleconferencing.
- Schedule a library class if none of the listed times and dates work for me?
- Contact Reference staff at 217.545.2113 or email@example.com. We can schedule classes at other times for individuals or groups by special arrangement.
- Find templates for making a poster in Microsoft PowerPoint?
- Our Guide page, Creating Presentations, has templates available in different sizes.
- The large poster printer only printed the background of my poster. I used an older version of PowerPoint to develop the poster. How do I fix this problem?
- Updating PowerPoint should solve the problem. The following site has information for both students and faculty on ordering Microsoft Office - http://www.infotech.siu.edu/index.php/campus-agreements/microsoft-software
- Cite an online source?
- See our subject guide on citing electronic and printed sources for examples and instructions.
- Find full text of an article?
- See our subject guide on Finding Full Text
- Find journal impact factors?
- Web of Knowledge, listed on the home page Quick Links, provides access to journal impact factors. See our information page on finding impact factors.
- Find out if the Library owns or has access to a particular journal?
- Go to the E-Journals A-Z List and search or browse for the journal. If it appears in the list click on the icon. Use the link to full text, or if the year/volumne that you want is not included in full text, try the link for "Search for print copy in SIU Medical Library Catalog." If the e-journal search is unsuccessful, try search the Medical Library online catalog since the Library may have the journal only in print copy.
- Request a literature search?
- Use our online literature search request form or call reference staff at 217.545.2113. The service fees page lists the costs to affiliated and non-affiliated users. See also more information on our Expert Search Service.