Interlibrary Loan Department
Interlibrary Loan Service
Interlibrary loan service is available to all faculty, staff, students, and residents of the School of Medicine, who need materials that are not part of the Library's collection. These items may be obtained from another library or from a commercial document supplier. This service is limited to work-related materials.
If the material you want is not owned by the SIU Medical Library, but is available from another I-Share Library, please see instructions on requesting materials.
- To request an interlibrary loan, complete a photocopy/interlibrary loan request form available at the Circulation Desk OR the online book/media or article/book chapter request forms.
- Interlibrary loan response time depends on the availability and supplier of the item. Please allow approximately two weeks.
- For patient care emergencies and other urgent situations, the Medical Library has the capability to request and receive articles on a rush basis.
Users can help interlibrary loan staff serve them as quickly as possible by providing:
- As complete a citation as possible.
- The source of the citation.
- The MEDLINE unique identifier (UI) number, if the citation is from a MEDLINE search.
- A phone number, email or campus address (including mail code) for prompt notification when the item arrives.
- A date after which the item is no longer needed.
Interlibrary Loan Policy:
- Users are responsible for any overdue or lost book charges incurred for materials borrowed from another library.
- At this time, the Library supports service charges or fees incurred in obtaining items from other sources, with the following exception:
the cost of requests that exceed copyright guidelines and require payment of a royalty fee to a publisher will be charged back to the requester. Prior approval and fiscal authorization will be obtained before the document is ordered.
- We do not loan outside the continental United States.
- CDs and DVDs do not circulate with books.
Interlibrary loan services are also provided to other libraries in the state, region, and country, in accordance with the attached fee schedule.
Unaffiliated Health Professionals
The Medical Library serves as a host library for unaffiliated health professionals using the Loansome Doc component of PubMed. Regular interlibrary loan fees apply to this service. To obtain registration information for Loansome Doc services, please contact the Interlibrary Loan Department.