Interlibrary Loan Department
- 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM, Mon-Fri
Work related materials not owned by the Medical Library may be borrowed from other libraries through Interlibrary Loan. This service is available to all faculty, staff, students, and residents of the School of Medicine.
Books / Media
If the material is not owned by the SIU Medical Library, but available from another I-Share Library the item must be requested using a personal I-Share account; please see instructions on requesting through I-Share.
If the Book / Media is not owned by the SIU Medical Library or an I-Share library, please complete the online Book/Media form. Forms are also available at the Circulation Desk.
- Interlibrary loan response time depends on the availability and supplier of the item. Book requests can take up to 10 days.
Article / Book Chapter
If the material is not owned by the SIU Medical Library, please complete the online article/book chapter form. Forms are also available at the Circulation Desk.
Users can help interlibrary loan staff serve them as quickly as possible by providing:
- Complete citation.
- The PubMed / MEDLINE unique identifier (PMID / UI) number, if the citation is from a PubMed / MEDLINE search.
- Complete information on where the citation was found.
- Your name, department, email and phone number. Articles are sent via email. If you prefer campus mail, please include your mail code. Books must be picked up at the Medical Library.
- Interlibrary loan response time depends on the availability and supplier of the item. Article requests are generally filled within 72 hours.
- For patient care emergencies and other urgent situations, the Medical Library has the capability to request and receive articles on a rush basis.
Interlibrary Loan Policy:
- Users are responsible for any overdue or lost book charges incurred for materials borrowed from another library.
- At this time, the Library supports service charges or fees incurred in obtaining items from other sources, with the following exception:
the cost of requests that exceed copyright guidelines and require payment of a royalty fee to a publisher will be charged back to the requester. Prior approval and fiscal authorization will be obtained before the document is ordered.
- We do not loan outside the continental United States.
- CDs and DVDs do not circulate with books.
Interlibrary loan services are also provided to other libraries in the state, region, and country, in accordance with the ILL fee schedule.
Unaffiliated Health Professionals
The Medical Library serves as a host library for unaffiliated health professionals using Loansome Doc Delivery through PubMed. Regular interlibrary loan fees apply to this service. To obtain registration information for Loansome Doc services, please contact the Interlibrary Loan Department.