Medical Library / Department of Information and Communication Sciences
R2 Digital Library Trial Ends Nov. 12
(October 22, 2010)
Trial access to the R2 Digital Library of 2000 online textbooks is available until November 12, 2010.
Please send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org or call reference at 217-545-7452. The Library may add access to some of the R2 Library titles dependintg on user feedback.
18 New articles by SIU School of Medicine Authors in Web of Knowledge
(October 22, 2010)
- Bjorgul K, Novicoff WM, Saleh KJ. American Society of Anesthesiologist Physical Status Score May Be Used as a Comorbidity Index in Hip Fracture Surgery. Journal of Arthroplasty. 2010 Sep;25(6):134-7.
- Brewer GJ, Torricelli JR, Lindsey AL, Kunz EZ, Neuman A, Fisher DR, et al. Age-related toxicity of amyloid-beta associated with increased pERK and pCREB in primary hippocampal neurons: reversal by blueberry extract. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. 2010 Oct;21(10):991-8.
- Cai Y, Xiong K, Zhang XM, Cai HB, Luo XG, Feng JC, et al. beta-Secretase-1 elevation in aged monkey and Alzheimer's disease human cerebral cortex occurs around the vasculature in partnership with multisystem axon terminal pathogenesis and beta-amyloid accumulation. European Journal of Neuroscience. 2010 Oct;32(7):1223-38.
- Durairaj G, Chaurasia P, Lahudkar S, Malik S, Shukla A, Bhaumik SR. Regulation of Chromatin Assembly/Disassembly by Rtt109p, a Histone H3 Lys(56)-specific Acetyltransferase, in Vivo. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2010 Oct;285(40):30472-9.
- Francis ML, Varghese JJ, Mathew JM, Koneru S, Scaife SL, Zahnd WE. Outcomes in Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Myocardial Infarction. American Journal of Medicine. 2010 Oct;123(10):922-8.
- Geraci SA, Devine DR, Babbott SF, Hollander H, Buranosky R, Kovach RA, et al. AAIM Report on Master Teachers and Clinician Educators Part 3: Finances and Resourcing. American Journal of Medicine. 2010 Oct;123(10):963-7.
- Helms SA, Azhar G, Zuo CL, Theus SA, Bartke A, Wei JY. Smaller cardiac cell size and reduced extra-cellular collagen might be beneficial for hearts of Ames dwarf mice. International Journal of Biological Sciences. 2010;6(5):475-90.
- Iyer NG, Shaha AR, Ferlito A, Robbins KT, Medina JE, Silver CE, et al. Delphian Node Metastasis in Head and Neck Cancers-Oracle or Myth? Journal of Surgical Oncology. 2010 Sep;102(4):354-8.
- Johnson RL, Block I, Gold MA, Markwell S, Zupancic M. Effect of methylphenidate on fatigue in women with recurrent gynecologic cancer. Psycho-Oncology. 2010 Sep;19(9):955-8.
- Mekel M. HEALTH LAW AND BIOETHICS CASES IN CONTEXT. Journal of Legal Medicine. 2010;31(3):325-9.
- Paul G, Verhulst S. Improving the Reading Comprehension Skills of Minority Adults From Educationally Disadvantaged Backgrounds. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy. 2010 Oct;54(2):131-40.
- Rehman A, Peterson WL, Ahluwalia JP. Large serrated tongue and gastrointestinal bleeding. Gut. 2010 Oct;59(10):1330-46.
- Rogers LQ, Markwell S, Hopkins-Price P, Vicari S, Courneya KS, Hoelzer K, et al. MEDIATORS OF ADHERENCE AFTER A PHYSICAL ACTIVITY INTERVENTION FOR BREAST CANCER SURVIVORS. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2010 Aug;17:303-.
- Sanfey H, Ketchum J, Bartlett J, Markwell S, Meier AH, Williams R, et al. Verification of proficiency in basic skills for postgraduate year 1 residents. Surgery. 2010 Oct;148(4):759-66.
- Westra S, Adler I, Batton D, Betz B, Bezinque S, Durfee S, et al. Reader Variability in the Use of Diagnostic Terms to Describe White Matter Lesions Seen on Cranial Scans of Severely Premature Infants: The ELGAN Study. Journal of Clinical Ultrasound. 2010 Oct;38(8):409-19.
- Woodson GD. Vocal Fold Injection as a Treatment for Glottic Insufficiency: Commentary. Archives of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery. 2010 Aug;136(8):829-.
- Wortsman X, Wortsman J, Arellano J, Oroz J, Giugliano C, Benavides MI, et al. Pilomatrixomas presenting as vascular tumors on color Doppler ultrasound. Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2010 Oct;45(10):2094-8.
- Wortsman X, Wortsman J, Guerrero R, Soto R, Baran R. Anatomical Changes in Retronychia and Onychomadesis Detected Using Ultrasound. Dermatologic Surgery. 2010 Oct;36(10):1615-20.
New Herb and Supplement Information on MedlinePlus
(October 1, 2010)
MedlinePlus released 100 new English and Spanish monographs on a broad range of dietary supplements and herbal remedies. The new content is provided by Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database Consumer Version (NMCD). Some of the highlights of the new monographs include:
- Descriptions of herbal remedies, dietary supplements, and how they work
- Effectiveness ratings for different indications
- Safety concerns, including special precautions and warnings
- Information on interactions with medications, foods, and other herbs and supplements
- Dosages that have been studied in scientific research
- Extensive lists of references, with links to PubMed
- A "Share" button on each monograph that allows users to easily share the content with friends and family
Go directly to the Herb and Supplements section on MedlinePlus at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/herb_All.html
22 new articles by SIU School of Medicine authors in PubMed
(October 1, 2010)
- Berrio G, Suryadevara A, Singh NK, Wesly OH. Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma in an aortic valve allograft. Tex Heart Inst J;37(4):492-3.
- Boehler M, Advani V, Schwind CJ, Wietfeldt ED, Becker Y, Lewis B, et al. Knowledge and Attitudes Regarding Colorectal Cancer Screening Among Medical Students: A Tale of Two Schools. J Cancer Educ Sep 17.
- Brozoski TJ, Caspary DM, Bauer CA, Richardson BD. The effect of supplemental dietary Taurine on Tinnitus and auditory discrimination in an animal model. Hear Res Sep 22.
- Chen Y, Tang Y, Robbins GT, Nie D. Camptothecin attenuates cytochrome P450 3A4 induction by blocking the activation of human pregnane X receptor. J Pharmacol Exp Ther Sep 1;334(3):999-1008.
- Ding M, Arnold J, Turner J, Ramkumar V, Hughes LF, Trammell RA, et al. Lack of association of a spontaneous mutation of the Chrm2 gene with behavioral and physiologic phenotypic differences in inbred mice. Comp Med;60(4):272-81.
- Elble RJ, Suchowersky O, Shaftman S, Weiner WJ, Huang P, Tilley B. Impact of belief in neuroprotection on therapeutic intervention in Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord Jun 15;25(8):1082-6.
- Frederick LR, Ballek NK, Esplin JA, Kohler TS. Primary Carcinoid Tumor Presenting As a Nonpalpable Testicular Mass. J Clin Oncol Sep 20.
- Froelich J, Idusuyi OB, Clark D, Kogler GF, Paliwal M, Dyrstad B, et al. Torsional stiffness of an intramedullary nail versus blade plate fixation for tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesis: a biomechanical study. J Surg Orthop Adv Summer;19(2):109-13.
- Halford WP, Puschel R, Rakowski B. Herpes simplex virus 2 ICP0 mutant viruses are avirulent and immunogenic: implications for a genital herpes vaccine. PLoS One;5(8).
- Johnson RL, Gold MA, Wyche KF. Distress in women with gynecologic cancer. Psychooncology Jun;19(6):665-8.
- Karmarkar SW, Bottum KM, Tischkau SA. Considerations for the use of anesthetics in neurotoxicity studies. Comp Med;60(4):256-62.
- Kramer BA, Minnis JG, Schwartz BF. Large bladder diverticulum presenting as an inguinal hernia. Can J Urol2009 Dec;16(6):4946-7.
- Morthland T, Cote NS, Humphrey J, Fulk D. Osteopathic diagnosis of an acetabular injury. J Am Osteopath Assoc May;110(5):290-3.
- Pyo G, Ala T, Kyrouac GA, Verhulst SJ. A validity study of the Working Group's Autobiographical Memory Test for individuals with moderate to severe intellectual disability. Res Dev Disabil Sep 26.
- Rasmussen A, Sevier S, Kelly JA, Glenn SB, Aberle T, Cooney CM, et al. The Lupus Family Registry and Repository. Rheumatology (Oxford) Sep 23.
- Roberts NK, Klamen DL. The case for teaching explicit reading strategies to medical students. Med Educ Apr;44(4):328-9.
- Rull GM, Rosher RB, McCann-Stone N, Robinson SB. Aging Couple Across the Curriculum. Gerontol Geriatr Educ2009;30(3):243-53.
- Singh NK, Rumman S, Mikell FL, Nallamothu N, Rangaswamy C. Stress cardiomyopathy: clinical and ventriculographic characteristics in 107 North American subjects. Int J Cardiol Jun 11;141(3):297-303.
- Struble RG, Ala T, Patrylo PR, Brewer GJ, Yan XX. Is Brain Amyloid Production a Cause or a Result of Dementia of The Alzheimer's Type? J Alzheimers Dis Aug 30.
- Vallurupalli S, Das S, Manchanda S. Infection and the risk of topical anesthetic induced clinically significant methemoglobinemia after transesophageal echocardiography. Echocardiography Mar;27(3):318-23.
- Woodson GD. Vocal fold injection as a treatment for glottic insufficiency. Commentary. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg Aug;136(8):829.
- Wortsman X, Wortsman J, Guerrero R, Soto R, Baran R. Anatomical Changes in Retronychia and Onychomadesis Detected Using Ultrasound. Dermatol Surg Sep 14.