Life and Limb Traveling Exhibit and Presentations
A six-week traveling exhibit and two special presentations at the SIU School of Medicine will highlight the Civil War and medicine.
The Life and Limb traveling exhibit (March 19-April 27) focuses on the soldier-survivors of the Civil War and the effects of their war injuries on society. Many medical advances are developed and honed in wartime, before becoming part of regular medical practice.
On March 22, two SIU School of Medicine surgeons, a plastic surgeon and an orthopedic trauma specialist, will speak on "Medicine in Wartime", discussing the medical developments during the Civil War and in today's conflicts and their effect on medicine at large. A second presentation on March 28 features the author of The Encyclopedia of Civil War Medicine speaking on "Hospitals and Hygiene: The Medical Side of the Civil War". Both presentations and the exhibit are open to the public.
Presentation: Medical Developments in Wartime
Thursday, March 22, 2012
5:00 to 6:00 p.m., Dirksen Conference Room, SIU School of Medicine, 801 N. Rutledge, 4th Fl.
- Ups and Downs of Civil War Medicine
- Elvin G. Zook, M.D.
Professor Emeritus, Department of Surgery
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
- Medical Advances: Iraq and Afghanistan
- Mark P. McAndrew, M.D.
Professor, Department of Surgery
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
Presentation: “Hospitals and Hygiene: The Medical Side of the Civil War”
Wednesday, March 28, 2012
4:00 – 5:00 p.m., Dirksen Conference Room, SIU School of Medicine, 801 N. Rutledge, 4th Fl.
- Glenna Schroeder-Lein, Ph.D.
- Manuscripts Librarian for the non-Lincoln manuscripts,
Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library
Author of: The Encyclopedia of Civil War Medicine (M.E. Sharpe, Inc., 2008)
Exhibit: Life and Limb: The Toll of the Civil War
Traveling exhibit developed and produced by the National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health
March 19-April 27, 2012
On display, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., weekdays.
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine Library, 801 N. Rutledge, Springfield, IL
New Articles in Web of Science by SIUSM Authors
- R. T. Beck, K. D. Illingworth, K. J. Saleh, Review of periprosthetic osteolysis in total joint arthroplasty: An emphasis on host factors and future directions. Journal of Orthopaedic Research 30, 541 (Apr, 2012).
- M. D. Boehler, S. S. Leondopulos, B. C. Wheeler, G. J. Brewer, Hippocampal networks on reliable patterned substrates. Journal of Neuroscience Methods 203, 344 (Jan, 2012).
- D. L. Boeldt et al., The Association Between Positive Parenting and Externalizing Behaviour. Infant and Child Development 21, 85 (Jan-Feb, 2012).
- A. Bullock et al., EARLY EXPERIENCE WITH THE COLOPLAST TITAN (R) CL RESERVOIR. Journal of Sexual Medicine 9, 31 (Feb, 2012).
- U. Cheema, M. Ahmed, C. Vogler, E. Cumpa, A. Ali, Ceftriaxone Induced Acute Autoimmune Hepatitis and Fulminant Hepatic Failure. American Journal of Gastroenterology 106, S291 (Oct, 2011).
- U. Cheema, S. Jabeen, J. Ahluwalia, Rifaximin Therapy for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth Associated Arthritis. American Journal of Gastroenterology 106, S253 (Oct, 2011).
- G. Costin, K. Dzara, D. Resch, Synchronicity: Coincidence Detection and Meaningful Life Events. Psychiatric Annals 41, 572 (Dec, 2011).
- M. Dhiwakar, K. T. Robbins, F. Vieira, K. Rao, J. Malone, Selective neck dissection as an early salvage intervention for clinically persistent nodal disease following chemoradiation. Head and Neck-Journal for the Sciences and Specialties of the Head and Neck 34, 188 (Feb, 2012).
- M. E. Diaz et al., Growth hormone modulation of EGF-induced PI3K-Akt pathway in mice liver. Cellular Signalling 24, 514 (Feb, 2012).
- S. Frankland-Searby, S. R. Bhaumik, The 26S proteasome complex: An attractive target for cancer therapy. Biochimica Et Biophysica Acta-Reviews on Cancer 1825, 64 (Jan, 2012).
- P. Kapranov et al., The majority of total nuclear-encoded non-ribosomal RNA in a human cell is 'darkmatter' un-annotated RNA (vol 8, pg 149, 2010). Bmc Biology 9, (Dec, 2011).
- W. Liu et al., N-myc downstream regulated gene 1 modulates Wnt-ss-catenin signalling and pleiotropically suppresses metastasis. Embo Molecular Medicine 4, 93 (Feb, 2012).
- H. Okuda et al., Hyaluronan Synthase HAS2 Promotes Tumor Progression in Bone by Stimulating the Interaction of Breast Cancer Stem-Like Cells with Macrophages and Stromal Cells. Cancer Research 72, 537 (Jan, 2012).
- A. Rehman, J. Ahluwalia, Viral Infections in Immunocompetent Patients: A Case Series of HSV and CMV Gastrointestinal Infections. American Journal of Gastroenterology 106, S184 (Oct, 2011).
- Rehman, A. Ali, S. Yu, Colon Lymphoma Mimicking Severe Ischemic Colitis. American Journal of Gastroenterology 106, S329 (Oct, 2011).
- G. T. Robbins, D. Nie, PPAR gamma, bioactive lipids, and cancer progression. Frontiers in Bioscience-Landmark 17, 1816 (Jan, 2012).
- B. Schopf et al., Interplay between mismatch repair and chromatin assembly. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 109, 1895 (Feb, 2012).
- K. R. Sheth et al., Improved Fertility Preservation Care for Male Patients With Cancer After Establishment of Formalized Oncofertility Program. Journal of Urology 187, 979 (Mar, 2012).
- E. Taylor, T. Kohler, 3 MONTH OUTCOMES OF A VED REGISTRY. Journal of Sexual Medicine 9, 46 (Feb, 2012).
- R. A. Trammell, T. A. Liberati, L. A. Toth, Host genetic background and the innate inflammatory response of lung to influenza virus. Microbes and Infection 14, 50 (Jan, 2012).
- H. Wiser, S. Wilson, T. Kohler, A 6-YEAR SUMMARY OF PENILE IMPLANT CHARACTERISTICS. Journal of Sexual Medicine 9, 35 (Feb, 2012).
Recent Articles in PubMed by SIUSM Authors
- V. Advani, S. Ahad, C. Gonczy, S. Markwell, I. Hassan, Does resident involvement effect surgical times and complication rates during laparoscopic appendectomy for uncomplicated appendicitis? An analysis of 16,849 cases from the ACS-NSQIP. Am J Surg 203, 347 (Mar, 2012).
- A. Bartke, Pleiotropic effects of growth hormone signaling in aging. Trends Endocrinol Metab 22, 437 (Nov, 2011).
- X. P. Chen, R. G. Williams, H. A. Sanfey, G. L. Dunnington, How do supervising surgeons evaluate guidance provided in the operating room? Am J Surg 203, 44 (Jan, 2012).
- Y. Chen et al., Nuclear receptors in the multidrug resistance through the regulation of drug-metabolizing enzymes and drug transporters. Biochem Pharmacol, (Feb 4, 2012).
- M. L. Dechassa et al., Disparity in the DNA translocase domains of SWI/SNF and ISW2. Nucleic Acids Res, (Jan 31, 2012).
- B. M. Derby et al., Early growth response factor-1: expression in a rabbit flexor tendon scar model. Plast Reconstr Surg 129, 435e (Mar, 2012).
- B. M. Derby, B. J. Wilhelmi, E. G. Zook, M. W. Neumeister, Flexor tendon reconstruction. Clin Plast Surg 38, 607 (Oct, 2011).
- C. L. Faingold, S. Tupal, M. Randall, Prevention of seizure-induced sudden death in a chronic SUDEP model by semichronic administration of a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. Epilepsy Behav 22, 186 (Oct, 2011).
- K. C. Gilbert, M. Dhiwakar, W. S. Stevens, K. T. Robbins, Mediastinal goiter presenting with ventricular tachycardia. Head Neck, (Feb 2, 2012).
- T. Hegge, M. Henderson, A. Amalfi, R. A. Bueno, M. W. Neumeister, Scar contractures of the hand. Clin Plast Surg 38, 591 (Oct, 2011).
- T. Hegge, M. W. Neumeister, Mutilated hand injuries. Clin Plast Surg 38, 543 (Oct, 2011).
- S. W. Karmarkar, K. M. Bottum, S. L. Krager, S. A. Tischkau, ERK/MAPK is essential for endogenous neuroprotection in SCN2.2 cells. PLoS One 6, e23493 (2011).
- R. R. Keene, D. C. Hillard-Sembell, B. S. Robinson, W. M. Novicoff, K. J. Saleh, Occupational hazards to the pregnant orthopaedic surgeon. J Bone Joint Surg Am 93, e1411 (Dec 7, 2011).
- A. Kobayashi et al., Bone morphogenetic protein 7 in dormancy and metastasis of prostate cancer stem-like cells in bone. J Exp Med 208, 2641 (Dec 19, 2011).
- J. E. Langer et al., An unusual presentation of anti-Hu-associated paraneoplastic limbic encephalitis. Dev Med Child Neurol, (Feb 9, 2012).
- S. S. Leondopulos, M. D. Boehler, B. C. Wheeler, G. J. Brewer, Chronic stimulation of cultured neuronal networks boosts low-frequency oscillatory activity at theta and gamma with spikes phase-locked to gamma frequencies. J Neural Eng 9, 026015 (Feb 23, 2012).
- J. Liu, D. Cao, in Recent Pat Anticancer Drug Discov. (2012).
- Z. Liu et al., Epidermal growth factor induces tumour marker AKR1B10 expression through activator protein-1 signalling in hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Biochem J 442, 273 (Mar 1, 2012).
- P. R. Pandey, W. Liu, F. Xing, K. Fukuda, K. Watabe, Anti-Cancer Drugs Targeting Fatty Acid Synthase (FAS). Recent Pat Anticancer Drug Discov, (Feb 9, 2012).
- P. R. Pandey et al., Resveratrol suppresses growth of cancer stem-like cells by inhibiting fatty acid synthase. Breast Cancer Res Treat 130, 387 (Nov, 2011).
- D. A. Rogers et al., Engaging medical students in the feedback process. Am J Surg 203, 21 (Jan, 2012).
- V. Roth, M. S. Herron, R. A. Bueno, Jr., C. B. Chambers, M. W. Neumeister, Stimulating angiogenesis by hyperbaric oxygen in an isolated tissue construct. Undersea Hyperb Med 38, 509 (Nov-Dec, 2011).
- H. Sanfey et al., Service or education: in the eye of the beholder. Arch Surg 146, 1389 (Dec, 2011).
- C. A. Scott, D. van Huyen, B. M. Bany, Angiopoietin-like gene expression in the mouse uterus during implantation and in response to steroids. Cell Tissue Res, (Feb 22, 2012).
- A. Spong, A. Bartke, Rapamycin slows aging in mice. Cell Cycle 11, (Mar 1, 2012).
- E. Taylor, A. D. Benson, B. F. Schwartz, COST ANALYSIS OF METALLIC URETERAL STENTS WITH 12 MONTHS OF FOLLOW-UP. J Endourol, (Feb 23, 2012).
- L. A. Toth, K. Kregel, L. Leon, T. I. Musch, Environmental enrichment of laboratory rodents: the answer depends on the question. Comp Med 61, 314 (2011).
- R. A. Trammell, L. A. Toth, Markers for predicting death as an outcome for mice used in infectious disease research. Comp Med 61, 492 (2011).
- C. M. Vassileva, L. M. Stelle, S. Markwell, T. Boley, S. Hazelrigg, Sex differences in procedure selection and outcomes of patients undergoing mitral valve surgery. Heart Surg Forum 14, E276 (Oct, 2011).
- C. M. Vassileva, M. N. Swong, T. M. Boley, S. J. Markwell, S. R. Hazelrigg, Influence of systemic lupus erythematosus on procedure selection and outcomes of patients undergoing isolated mitral valve surgery. J Card Surg 27, 29 (Jan, 2012).
- M. Zupancic, M. L. Gonzalez, Aripiprazole in the acute and maintenance phase of bipolar I disorder. Ther Clin Risk Manag 8, 1 (2012).
- M. Zupancic, A. Mahajan, K. Handa, Dementia with lewy bodies: diagnosis and management for primary care providers. Prim Care Companion CNS Disord 13, (2011).