New Exhibits for February
February is both American Heart Month and Black History Month, so the Medical Library has two new exhibits on display for February.
Heart Month Exhibit
The exhibit for American Heart Month targets heart disease in women, heart month events, and learning to lower heart disease risk.
Featured web sites:
These sites have been added to the Library’s Women’s Health guide: http://libguides.siumed.edu/womenshealth.
Featured Items from the Library:
- “Coronary Heart Disease: Nutritional Interventions for Prevention and Therapy.”In Wilson, Ted. (Eds.) (2010) Nutrition guide for physicians. Totowa, N.J. : Humana [SpringerLink electronic]
- “Women and Coronary Heart Disease.” In Clouse, Amy L. Sherif, Katherine. (Eds.) (2008) Women's health in clinical practice: a handbook for primary care. Totowa, N.J. : Humana Press [SpringerLink electronic]
- Cannon, Christopher P. (Eds.) (2009) Gender differences in acute coronary syndromes care and outcomes. Secaucus, NJ : Network for Continuing Medical Education. [video] W 1 NE476 no.884 2009
Black History Exhibit
Black historical print collection books in the exhibit are of topics in education, medicine, and activism. A photograph of medical students in 1900 with a cadaver is also on display.
- Bailey, Eric J. (2002) African American alternative medicine : using alternative medicine to prevent and control chronic diseases.
- Organ, Claude H.Kosiba, Margaret M. (Eds.) (1987) A Century of black surgeons : the U.S.A. experience.
- Savitt, Todd L. (1978) Medicine and slavery : the diseases and health care of Blacks in antebellum Virginia.
- Sheridan, Richard B.(1985) Doctors and slaves : a medical and demographic history of slavery in the British West Indies, 1680-1834.
- Smith, Susan Lynn. (1995) Sick and tired of being sick and tired : Black women's health activism in America, 1890-1950
- Summerville, James. (1983) Educating Black doctors : a history of Meharry Medical College University, Ala.
- Wendland, Claire L. (2010) A heart for the work : journeys through an African medical school .
Change in Hours
Martin Luther King Day
Monday, January 21, 2013 - Library Closed
Recent Articles in Web of Science by SIUSM Authors
- A. Bartke et al., Parting Messages From Current and Former Editors of the Journal of Andrology. Journal of Andrology 33, 1068 (Nov-Dec, 2012).
- M. P. Cannito, M. Doiuchi, T. Murry, G. E. Woodson, Perceptual Structure of Adductor Spasmodic Dysphonia and Its Acoustic Correlates. Journal of Voice 26, (Nov, 2012).
- D. L. Cao, D. F. Liao, Author's reply to: AKR1B10 and its emerging role in tumor carcinogenesis and as a cancer biomarker. International Journal of Cancer 132, 496 (Jan, 2013).
- J. L. Cheatwood et al., A Semi-Purified Soy Protein Diet Preserves Skilled Ladder Rung Walking Performance after Stroke in Rats. Faseb Journal 26, (Apr, 2012).
- U. Cheema, A. Ali, Gastrointestinal stromal tumor in the duodenal blind spot: role of pediatric colonoscope and endoscopic ultrasound. Acta Gastro-Enterologica Belgica 75, 377 (Sep, 2012).
- R. W. Clough, N. S. Viscomi, K. M. Thompson, G. M. Rose, Hyperactivity and Altered Social Attention Following Concussion in Triple Transgenic Mice Predisposed to Alzheimer-like Neuropathology. Faseb Journal 26, (Apr, 2012).
- . G. Durairaj, S. R. Bhaumik, A new regulatory pathway of mRNA export by an F-box protein, Mdm30. Faseb Journal 26, (Apr, 2012).
- T. C. Fang, T. J. F. Lee, ALISKIREN PREVENTS AND AMELIORATES INSULIN RESISTANCE AND AORTIC ENDOTHELIAL FUNCTION AND REMODELING IN FRUCTOSE-FED HYPERTENSIVE RATS. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation 27, 87 (May, 2012).
- J. F. Giani et al., Upregulation of the angiotensin-converting enzyme 2/angiotensin-(1-7)/Mas receptor axis in the heart and the kidney of growth hormone receptor knock-out mice. Growth Hormone & Igf Research 22, 224 (Dec, 2012).
- J. M. Hill et al., HSV-1 latent rabbits shed viral DNA into their saliva. Virology Journal 9, (Sep, 2012).
- P. Jalan, A. Mahajan, V. Pandav, S. Bekker, J. Koirala, Brentuximab associated progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy. Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery 114, 1335 (Dec, 2012).
- W. D. Jenkins, R. Kovach, B. J. Wold, W. E. Zahnd, Using Patient-Provided Information to Refine Sexually Transmitted Infection Screening Criteria Among Women Presenting in the Emergency Department. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 39, 965 (Dec, 2012).
- S. Lahudkar, G. Durairaj, S. R. Bhaumik, Yeast mRNA 5 ' triphosphatase, Cet1p, Represses the Accumulation of RNA Polymerase II Towards the 5 ' end of Active Coding Sequence in vivo: Implications for Promoter Proximal Pausing. Faseb Journal 26, (Apr, 2012).
- A. H. Meier, J. D. Mellinger, Endoscopic management of a duodenal duplication cyst. Journal of Pediatric Surgery 47, E33 (Nov, 2012).
- A. I. Omar, P. Jalan, V. Pandav, S. Bekker, EXTENSIVE VENOUS SINUS THROMBOSIS IN A PATIENT WITH SINONASAL UNDIFFERENTIATED CARCINOMA WITH A DURAL-BASED METASTASIS. Neuro-Oncology 14, 70 (Oct, 2012).
- B. D. Richardson, T. J. Brozoski, L. L. Ling, D. M. Caspary, Targeting inhibitory neurotransmission in tinnitus. Brain Research 1485, 77 (Nov, 2012).
- B. D. Roye et al., Does ScoliScore Provide More Information Than Traditional Clinical Estimates of Curve Progression? Spine 37, 2099 (Dec, 2012).
- A. A. Sharp, S. Fromherz, Optogenetic regulation of peripheral sensory or motor axons during chick embryogenesis. Faseb Journal 26, (Apr, 2012).
- J. M. Stout, D. G. Wallace, J. L. Cheatwood, Effects of daidzein on post-stroke injury and recovery of function in D. S.
- Torry, C. J. Thaler, In Memoriam - Dr. John A. McIntyre. American Journal of Reproductive Immunology 69, 1 (Jan, 2013).
- N. S. Viscomi et al., Z-Bisdehydrodoisynolic Acid (Z-BDDA), a putative estrogenic seco-steroid, induces profound lordosis behavior in ovariectomized female rats. Faseb Journal 26, (Apr, 2012).
- M. C. Wadman et al., Rural Clinical Experiences for Emergency Medicine Residents: A Curriculum Template. Academic Emergency Medicine 19, 1287 (Nov, 2012).
- G. Woodson, Developing a Porcine Model for Study of Vocal Fold Scar. Journal of Voice 26, 706 (Nov, 2012).
Recent Articles in PubMed by SIUSM Authors
- A. Bartke, R. Westbrook, Metabolic characteristics of long-lived mice. Front Genet 3, 288 (2012).
- S. Basnet et al., Safety, efficacy, and tolerability of early initiation of noninvasive positive. Pediatr Crit Care Med 13, 393 (Jul, 2012).
- A. Benson, S. Markwell, T. S. Kohler, T. H. Tarter, An operative performance rating system for urology residents. J Urol 188, 1877 (Nov, 2012).
- K. E. Broquet, M. Punwani, Helping international medical graduates engage in effective feedback. Acad Psychiatry 36, 282 (Jul 1, 2012).
- D. M. Caspary, L. F. Hughes, L. L. Ling, Age-related GABA(A) receptor changes in rat auditory cortex. Neurobiol Aging, (Dec 17, 2012).
- J. C. Davis, M. L. Wilson, The best diagnosis is: dermatitis herpetiformis. Cutis 90, 221 (Nov, 2012).
- K. J. Hodgson, EVAR for Ruptured Aneurysms: Are the Data Complete? Semin Vasc Surg 25, 217 (Dec, 2012).
- G. Jain, M. N. Mazhar, A. Uga, M. Punwani, K. E. Broquet, Systems-based aspects in the training of IMG or previously trained residents. Acad Psychiatry 36, 307 (Jul 1, 2012).
- J. Kruse, The organization of health care: the contrasting role of primary care and. Fam Med 44, 516 (Jul-Aug, 2012).
- J. Kruse, The STFM presidential themes: leadership and advocacy in academic family. Fam Med 44, 440 (Jun, 2012).
- S. Malik, S. R. Bhaumik, Rad26p, a transcription-coupled repair factor, promotes the eviction and prevents. Biochemistry 51, 5873 (Jul 31, 2012).
- P. R. Pandey et al., Elevated lipogenesis in epithelial stem-like cell confers survival advantage in. Oncogene, (Dec 3, 2012).
- B. Schwartz, Editorial Comment. J Urol, (Dec 19, 2012).
- S. Sheth et al., Resveratrol Reduces Prostate Cancer Growth and Metastasis by Inhibiting the. PLoS One 7, e51655 (2012).
- S. Suppiah et al., Sublobar/wedge resection or stereotactic body radiation therapy for stage I. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 12, 1375 (Nov, 2012).
- E. D. Tate et al., Active comparator-controlled, rater-blinded study of corticotropin-based. J Child Neurol 27
- R. G. Williams et al., A template for reliable assessment of resident operative performance: assessment. Surgery 152, 517 (Oct, 2012).
- A. Zhang et al., The human long non-coding RNA-RoR is a p53 repressor in response to DNA damage. Cell Res, (Dec 4, 2012).