The CAVE 4th year medical student elective: Produce a multimedia project
Using the resources of the Medical Library's CAVE (Create Audio & Video for Education) media lab, students will design and produce a short multimedia product on a health/medical topic for a relevant audience
Students may develop their own topic or choose one suggested by School of Medicine faculty. Training will be provided on the CAVE equipment and software as well as on the methods and strategies for creating an educational or instructional multimedia presentation.
The final audio/visual project will be posted for others to view and may be used for specific educational endeavors. Opportunities to enter completed projects into competitions may also be available. A description of the CAVE, its equipment and software is available at http://libguides.siumed.edu/cave.
See the elective catalog decription at http://edaff.siumed.edu/ELECTIVE/2015/CourseDesc_2015.asp?crse=25263
Music, Magic, and Medicine: March 19 at noon
Add some music and magic to your day and visit the Medical Library on Wednesday, March 19, between noon and 1:00 p.m. Music will be provided by Amanda Bakker (Class of 2015) on harp, followed by Carolyn Roloff (Class of 2014) on violin. View the special traveling exhibit, "Harry Potter's World: Renaissance, Science, Magic, and Medicine" and two accompanying displays prepared by the Medical Library.
Refreshments will be provided.
The exhibit and displays remain available for viewing until April 18.
The traveling exhibit was developed and produced by the National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
Harry Potter's World: Renaissance Science, Magic and Medicine
Illustration of an alchemy workshop, courtesy National Library of Medicine
Using materials from the NLM History of Medicine division, this exhibit explores Harrry Potter’s world, its roots in Renaissance science, and ethical questions addressed by Harry Potter‘s wizards and the historical thinkers of the 15th and 16th centuries.
The exhibit will be available for viewing from March 10 through April 18.
A special musical event wil be held at 12:00 noon on March 19 featuring medical students Amanda Bakker and Carolyn Roloff each performing on harp and violin, respectively. More information will follow on this event.
New Research Articles in PubMed by SIUSM Authors
- J. R. Albers, S. Tamang, Common questions about bell palsy. Am Fam Physician 89, 209-212 (2014); published online Epub Feb 1.
- C. Anderson, On the nature of thought processes and their relationship to the accumulation of knowledge, Part XIII: The nature of evidence. Dermatol Pract Concept 4, 11-26 (2014); published online EpubJan (10.5826/dpc.0401a03).
- V. N. Ayyagari, L. Brard, Bithionol inhibits ovarian cancer cell growth in vitro - studies on mechanism(s) of action. BMC Cancer 14, 61 (2014)10.1186/1471-2407-14-61).
- B. Batton, L. Li, N. S. Newman, A. Das, K. L. Watterberg, B. A. Yoder, R. G. Faix, M. M. Laughon, B. J. Stoll, R. D. Higgins, M. C. Walsh, Evolving blood pressure dynamics for extremely preterm infants. J Perinatol, (2014); published online EpubFeb 6 (10.1038/jp.2014.6).
- J. I. Bennett, K. Handa, A. Mahajan, P. Deotale, Psychiatry Chief Resident Opinions toward Basic and Clinical Neuroscience Training and Practice. Acad Psychiatry, (2014); published online EpubFeb 12 (10.1007/s40596-014-0052-8).
- P. Bhargava, R. J. Elble, Clinical Reasoning: An unusual cause of transverse myelitis? Neurology 82, e46-50 (2014); published online EpubFeb 11 (10.1212/wnl.0000000000000104).
- R. J. Elble, Tremor disorders. Curr Opin Neurol 26, 413-419 (2013); published online EpubAug (10.1097/WCO.0b013e3283632f46).
- M. L. Friedell, T. J. Vandermeer, M. L. Cheatham, G. M. Fuhrman, P. J. Schenarts, J. D. Mellinger, J. B. Morris, Perceptions of Graduating General Surgery Chief Residents: Are They Confident in Their Training? J Am Coll Surg, (2013); published online EpubDec 24 (10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2013.12.022).
- K. C. Gilbert, M. Dhiwakar, W. S. Stevens, K. T. Robbins, Mediastinal goiter presenting with ventricular tachycardia. Head Neck 35, E194-196 (2013); published online EpubJun (10.1002/hed.22956).
- J. Golzarian, A. A. Antunes, T. Bilhim, F. C. Carnevale, B. Konety, K. T. McVary, J. K. Parsons, J. M. Pisco, D. N. Siegel, J. Spies, N. Wasserman, N. Gowda, K. Ahrar, Prostatic Artery Embolization to Treat Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms Related to Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia and Bleeding in Patients with Prostate Cancer: Proceedings from a Multidisciplinary Research Consensus Panel. J Vasc Interv Radiol, (2014); published online EpubFeb 20 (10.1016/j.jvir.2013.11.003).
- A. M. Lebeau, N. Sevillano, M. L. King, S. Duriseti, S. T. Murphy, C. S. Craik, L. L. Murphy, H. F. Vanbrocklin, Imaging the urokinase plasminongen activator receptor in preclinical breast cancer models of acquired drug resistance. Theranostics 4, 267-279 (2014)10.7150/thno.7323).
- E. O. List, D. E. Berryman, K. Funk, A. Jara, B. Kelder, F. Wang, M. B. Stout, X. Zhi, L. Sun, T. A. White, N. K. Lebrasseur, T. Pirtskhalava, T. Tchkonia, E. A. Jensen, W. Zhang, M. M. Masternak, J. L. Kirkland, R. A. Miller, A. Bartke, J. J. Kopchick, Liver-specific GH receptor gene disrupted (LiGHRKO) mice have decreased endocrine IGF-1, increased local IGF-1 as well as altered body size, body composition and adipokine profiles. Endocrinology, en20132086 (2014); published online EpubFeb 11 (10.1210/en.2013-2086).
- D. M. Lough, M. Yang, A. Blum, J. D. Reichensperger, N. M. Cosenza, N. Wetter, L. A. Cox, C. E. Harrison, M. W. Neumeister, Transplantation of the LGR6+ Epithelial Stem Cell into Full-Thickness Cutaneous Wounds Results in Enhanced Healing, Nascent Hair Follicle Development, and Augmentation of Angiogenic Analytes. Plast Reconstr Surg 133, 579-590 (2014); published online EpubMar (10.1097/prs.0000000000000075).
- J. A. MacLean, 2nd, Z. Hu, J. P. Welborn, H. W. Song, M. K. Rao, C. M. Wayne, M. F. Wilkinson, The RHOX homeodomain proteins regulate the expression of insulin and other metabolic regulators in the testis. J Biol Chem 288, 34809-34825 (2013); published online EpubNov 29 (10.1074/jbc.M113.486340).
- K. T. McVary, C. G. Roehrborn, E. Chartier-Kastler, M. Efros, D. Bugarin, R. Chen, A. Patel, C. Haag-Molkenteller, A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of OnabotulinumtoxinA 200U to Treat Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms in Men With Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. J Urol, (2014); published online EpubFeb 6 (10.1016/j.juro.2014.02.004).
- A. J. Mitchelson, K. D. Illingworth, B. S. Robinson, K. A. Elnimeiry, C. J. Wilson, S. J. Markwell, K. R. Gabriel, J. McGinty, K. J. Saleh, Patient demographics and risk factors in pediatric distal humeral supracondylar fractures. Orthopedics 36, e700-706 (2013); published online EpubJun (10.3928/01477447-20130523-12).
- M. T. Pillow, L. Hopson, M. Bond, D. Cabrera, L. Patterson, D. Pearson, H. Sule, F. Ankel, M. Fernandez-Frackelton, R. V. Hall, J. A. Kegg, D. Norris, K. Takenaka, Social media guidelines and best practices: recommendations from the council of residency directors social media task force. West J Emerg Med 15, 26-30 (2014); published online EpubFeb (10.5811/westjem.2013.7.14945).
- M. R. Pranzatelli, E. D. Tate, N. R. McGee, S. J. Verhulst, CSF neurofilament light chain is elevated in OMS (decreasing with immunotherapy) and other pediatric neuroinflammatory disorders. J Neuroimmunol 266, 75-81 (2014); published online EpubJan 15 (10.1016/j.jneuroim.2013.11.004).
- L. Reed, J. Carroll, A. Cummings, S. Markwell, J. Wall, M. Duong, Serum lactate as a screening tool and predictor of outcome in pediatric patients presenting to the emergency department with suspected infection. Pediatr Emerg Care 29, 787-791 (2013); published online EpubJul (10.1097/PEC.0b013e318298389d).
- L. Shahani, Refractory calcinosis in a patient with dermatomyositis: response to intravenous immune globulin. BMJ Case Rep 2012, (2012)10.1136/bcr-2012-006629).
- S. Shockman, L. S. Buescher, S. P. Stone, Syphilis in the United States. Clin Dermatol 32, 213-218 (2014); published online EpubMar-Apr (10.1016/j.clindermatol.2013.08.005).
- S. Tischkau, Y. Mhaskar, V. V. Uteshev, Evidence for the exclusive expression of functional homomeric alpha7 nAChRs in hypothalamic histaminergic tuberomammillary neurons in rats. Neurosci Lett 563c, 107-111 (2014); published online EpubJan 31 (10.1016/j.neulet.2014.01.047).
- L. A. Toth, R. A. Trammell, R. W. Williams, Mapping complex traits using families of recombinant inbred strains: an overview and example of mapping susceptibility to Candida albicans induced illness phenotypes. Pathog Dis, (2014); published online EpubFeb 18 (10.1111/2049-632x.12160).
- R. A. Trammell, S. Verhulst, L. A. Toth, Effects of sleep fragmentation on sleep and markers of inflammation in mice. Comp Med 64, 13-24 (2014).
- C. M. Vassileva, N. Ghazanfari, S. Markwell, T. Boley, S. Hazelrigg, Preoperative heart failure in the Medicare population undergoing mitral valve repair and replacement: An opportunity for improvement. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, (2014); published online EpubJan 1 (10.1016/j.jtcvs.2013.12.010).
- R. C. Welliver, Jr., C. Mechlin, B. Goodwin, J. P. Alukal, A. R. McCullough, A Pilot Study to Determine Penile Oxygen Saturation Before and After Vacuum Therapy in Patients with Erectile Dysfunction After Radical Prostatectomy. J Sex Med, (2014); published online EpubFeb 10 (10.1111/jsm.12445).
- R. C. Welliver, Jr., H. J. Wiser, R. E. Brannigan, K. Feia, M. Monga, T. S. Kohler, Validity of Midday Total Testosterone Levels in Older Men with Erectile Dysfunction. J Urol, (2014); published online EpubFeb 8 (10.1016/j.juro.2014.01.085).
- R. Westbrook, M. S. Bonkowski, O. Arum, A. D. Strader, A. Bartke, Metabolic alterations due to caloric restriction and every other day feeding in normal and growth hormone receptor knockout mice. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 69, 25-33 (2014); published online EpubJan (10.1093/gerona/glt080).