George Washington and Medicine Traveling Exhibit
The Medical Library is hosting "Every Necessary Care and Attention: George Washington and Medicine", a National Library of Medicine traveling exhibit. Six panels highlight the medical responsibilities of George Washington as head of household, plantation owner, businessman, military general, and President.
The exhibit will be on view in the Library's newly renovated lobby through April 24, 2015. Related books from the Medical Library's Special Collections are also on display in the new historical wall in the lobby.
This exhibition was developed and produced by the National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health with the Mount Vernon Estate and Gardens
17 New Research Articles in Web of Science by SIUSM Authors
- S. Alanee, D. I. Dynda, P. Hemmer, B. Schwartz, Low enhancing papillary renal cell carcinoma diagnosed by using dual energy computerized tomography: a case report and review of literature. Bmc Urology 14, (2014).
- M. W. Albers et al., At the interface of sensory and motor dysfunctions and Alzheimer's disease. Alzheimers & Dementia 11, 70-98 (2015).
- A. Gupta et al., Surgical Retrieval, Isolation and In vitro Expansion of Human Anterior Cruciate Ligament-derived Cells for Tissue Engineering Applications. Jove-Journal of Visualized Experiments, (2014).
- H. Y. Han, N. K. Roberts, R. Korte, Learning in the Real Place: Medical Students' Learning and Socialization in Clerkships at One Medical School. Academic Medicine 90, 231-239 (2015).
- W. D. Jenkins, K. R. LeVault, SEXUAL HISTORY TAKING IN THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT - MORE SPECIFICITY REQUIRED. Journal of Emergency Medicine 48, 143-151 (2015).
- W. D. Jenkins, K. LeVault, S. Sutcliffe, Chlamydia trachomatis infection: Possible co-factor for oropharyngeal cancer development? Oral Oncology 51, E8-E9 (2015).
- P. J. Jensik et al., DEAF1 Binds Unmethylated and Variably Spaced CpG Dinucleotide Motifs. PLoS One 9, (2014).
- S. Malik, S. R. Bhaumik, Regulation of active genome integrity and expression by Rad26p. Nucleus 5, 520-526 (2014).
- D. Mukherjea et al., Early investigational drugs for hearing loss. Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs 24, 201-217 (2015).
- M. Pienkowski et al., A Review of Hyperacusis and Future Directions: Part II. Measurement, Mechanisms, and Treatment. American Journal of Audiology 23, 420-436 (2014).
- A. B. Rezigh et al., Celiac Artery Decompression for Median Arcuate Ligament Syndrome: A United States National Inpatient Sample Study. Journal of Vascular Surgery 61, 585-586 (2015).
- L. Q. Rogers et al., Effects of the BEAT Cancer physical activity behavior change intervention on physical activity, aerobic fitness, and quality of life in breast cancer survivors: a multicenter randomized controlled trial. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 149, 109-119 (2015).
- Y. C. Torres, R. E. Katholi, Renal Denervation with Vincristine for the Treatment of Resistant Hypertension: Further Investigations Are Needed to Implement It Globally. Hellenic Journal of Cardiology 55, 514-515 (2014).
- R. S. Tyler et al., A Review of Hyperacusis and Future Directions: Part I. Definitions and Manifestations. American Journal of Audiology 23, 402-419 (2014).
- A. B. Wilson et al., Clinical Assessment and Management Examination-Outpatient (CAMEO): Its Validity and Use in a Surgical Milestones Paradigm. Journal of Surgical Education 72, 33-40 (2015).
- X. Wortsman, J. Wortsman, Ultrasound Accuracy in the Diagnosis of Skin and Soft-Tissue Lesions. American Journal of Roentgenology 204, W220-W220 (2015).
- B. Zhu, J. K. Davie, New insights into signalling-pathway alterations in rhabdomyosarcoma. British Journal of Cancer 112, 227-231 (2015).
27 New Research Articles in PubMed by SIUSM Authors
- O. Arum et al., Do altered energy metabolism or spontaneous locomotion 'mediate' decelerated senescence? Aging Cell, (2015).
- E. Cacioppo, J. R. Waymack, Bilateral inferior shoulder dislocation. West J Emerg Med 16, 157 (2015).
- X. P. Chen, R. G. Williams, H. A. Sanfey, D. S. Smink, A taxonomy of surgeons' guiding behaviors in the operating room. Am J Surg 209, 15-20 (2015).
- V. R. Dharnidharka, M. E. Seifert, in Kidney Int. (United States, 2015), vol. 87, pp. 492-494.
- A. Dua et al., The effect of Surgical Care Improvement Project measures on national trends on surgical site infections in open vascular procedures. J Vasc Surg 60, 1635-1639 (2014).
- A. Dua et al., The effect of hospital factors on mortality rates after abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg 60, 1446-1451 (2014).
- J. J. Geltz, E. Gershburg, W. P. Halford, in PLoS One. (United States, 2015), vol. 10, pp. e0116091.
- E. R. Hascup, F. Wang, J. J. Kopchick, A. Bartke, Inflammatory and Glutamatergic Homeostasis Are Involved in Successful Aging. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, (2015).
- A. Y. Huang, M. H. Chen, S. Y. Wu, K. S. Lu, Tight junctions in Gerbil von Ebner's Gland: Horseradish peroxidase and freeze-fracture studies. Microsc Res Tech 78, 213-219 (2015).
- L. Y. Kadyrova et al., A reversible histone H3 acetylation cooperates with mismatch repair and replicative polymerases in maintaining genome stability. PLoS Genet 9, e1003899 (2013).
- K. M. Ken, S. C. Shockman, M. Sirichotiratana, M. P. Lent, M. L. Wilson, Dermatoses associated with mites other than Sarcoptes. Semin Cutan Med Surg 33, 110-115 (2014).
- K. T. McVary et al., A multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study of onabotulinumtoxinA 200 U to treat lower urinary tract symptoms in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia. J Urol 192, 150-156 (2014).
- H. Nepal, M. Bhattarai, E. T. Agustin, New-onset mania following bariatric surgery. Psychiatry Investig 12, 152-154 (2015).
- M. E. Olson, Bacteriophage Transduction in Staphylococcus aureus. Methods Mol Biol, (2015).
- A. I. Omar, Tumor treating field therapy in combination with bevacizumab for the treatment of recurrent glioblastoma. J Vis Exp, e51638 (2014).
- R. L. Robinson, in Adv Med Educ Pract. (New Zealand, 2015), vol. 6, pp. 93-98.
- M. E. Seifert et al., in Am J Nephrol. (Switzerland, 2014), vol. 39, pp. 392-399.
- A. A. Sharp, A. Bekoff, Pyridoxine treatment alters embryonic motility in chicks: Implications for the role of proprioception. Dev Psychobiol 57, 271-277 (2015).
- D. Stefanidis et al., Research priorities for multi-institutional collaborative research in surgical education. Am J Surg 209, 52-58 (2015).
- L. Y. Sun, A. Bartke, Tissue-Specific GHR Knockout Mice: Metabolic Phenotypes. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 5, 243 (2014).
- D. E. Swanson et al., Penile fracture: outcomes of early surgical intervention. Urology 84, 1117-1121 (2014).
- F. Urbinati et al., Potentially Therapeutic Levels of Anti-Sickling Globin Gene Expression Following Lentivirus-mediated Gene Transfer in Sickle Cell Disease Bone Marrow CD34Cells. Exp Hematol, (2015).
- R. Uy, T. Hatch, Four-year-old female with abdominal pain (case presentation). Acta Paediatr 103, 687-688 (2014).
- R. Uy, T. Hatch, Four-year-old female with abdominal pain (discussion and diagnosis). Acta Paediatr 103, 788-789 (2014).
- C. M. Vassileva, N. Ghazanfari, S. Markwell, T. Boley, S. Hazelrigg, Preoperative heart failure in the Medicare population undergoing mitral valve repair and replacement: an opportunity for improvement. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 148, 1393-1399 (2014).
- C. Wang, Z. M. Zhang, C. X. Xu, S. A. Tischkau, Interplay between Dioxin-mediated signaling and circadian clock: a possible determinant in metabolic homeostasis. Int J Mol Sci 15, 11700-11712 (2014).
- R. C. Welliver, Jr. et al., Validity of midday total testosterone levels in older men with erectile dysfunction. J Urol 192, 165-169 (2014).
JoVE Android and iPhone apps now available for download!
JoVE has just released two new mobile apps and a newly optimized version of the JoVE website. JoVE, the Journal of Visualized Experiments, is a peer reviewed scientific video journal. With JoVE Mobile, scientists and students alike can now view JoVE scientific video articles from the mobile device of their choice. All SIUSM members with an siumed.edu email address may download the apps free of charge.
To download JoVE Mobile, search for 'JoVE' in the Apple app store or on Google Play.
To use the app you must first create an account using your siumed.edu email address. An account allows you to use your institution's subscription even when off campus, and you can post questions for article authors. To create an account, go to www.jove.com.
See the upper right corner of the screen to create an account and to sign in.
Ebola Virus News and Research Information
Science and Science Translational Medicine have responded to the current outbreak of disease caused by the Ebola virus by making this collection of research and news articles on the Ebola virus freely available to researchers and the general public. See the Ebola virus special collection.