Holiday Hours, Dec 2013-Jan 2014
Sun, Dec 22: 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Mon, Dec 23: 8:00 - 4:30 PM
Tue, Dec 24: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Wed, Dec 25: Closed
Thu, Dec 26 - Tue, Dec 31: Closed
Wed, Jan 1: Closed
Thu, Jan 2: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Fri, Jan 3: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Saturday, Jan. 4: Regular hours resume
Regular Hours (Sept - May)
||8 am - 11 pm
|| 8 am - 6 pm
|| 9 am - 5 pm
|| 1 pm - 11 pm
New Research Articles in PubMed by SIUSM Authors
- . G. P. Aylward, Continuing Issues With the Bayley-III: Where to Go From Here. J Dev Behav Pediatr 34, 697-701 (2013); published online EpubNov-Dec (10.1097/dbp.0000000000000000).
- D. Banerjee, K. D. Illingworth, W. M. Novicoff, S. L. Scaife, B. K. Jones, K. J. Saleh, Rural vs. urban utilization of total joint arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 28, 888-891 (2013); published online EpubJun (10.1016/j.arth.2012.09.004).
- T. J. Brozoski, K. W. Wisner, B. Odintsov, C. A. Bauer, Local NMDA Receptor Blockade Attenuates Chronic Tinnitus and Associated Brain Activity in an Animal Model. PLoS One 8, e77674 (2013)10.1371/journal.pone.0077674).
- A. T. Cianciolo, K. W. Eva, J. A. Colliver, Theory development and application in medical education. Teach Learn Med 25 Suppl 1, S75-80 (2013)10.1080/10401334.2013.842907).
- A. D. Claussen, D. J. Fox, X. C. Yu, R. P. Meech, S. J. Verhulst, T. L. Hargrove, K. C. Campbell, D-methionine pre-loading reduces both noise-induced permanent threshold shift and outer hair cell loss in the chinchilla. Int J Audiol 52, 801-807 (2013); published online EpubDec (10.3109/14992027.2013.840933).
- H. Han, D. S. Resch, R. A. Kovach, Educational technology in medical education. Teach Learn Med 25 Suppl 1, S39-43 (2013)10.1080/10401334.2013.842914).
- L. Y. Kadyrova, T. M. Mertz, Y. Zhang, M. R. Northam, Z. Sheng, K. S. Lobachev, P. V. Shcherbakova, F. A. Kadyrov, A reversible histone h3 acetylation cooperates with mismatch repair and replicative polymerases in maintaining genome stability. PLoS Genet 9, e1003899 (2013); published online EpubOct (10.1371/journal.pgen.1003899).
- D. J. Kanak, G. M. Rose, H. P. Zaveri, P. R. Patrylo, Altered network timing in the CA3-CA1 circuit of hippocampal slices from aged mice. PLoS One 8, e61364 (2013)10.1371/journal.pone.0061364).
- S. W. Karmarkar, S. A. Tischkau, Influences of the circadian clock on neuronal susceptibility to excitotoxicity. Front Physiol 4, 313 (2013)10.3389/fphys.2013.00313).
- D. L. Klamen, K. Sanserino, P. Skolnik, Patient safety education: what was, what is, and what will be? Teach Learn Med 25 Suppl 1, S44-49 (2013)10.1080/10401334.2013.842906).
- J. F. Koenig, M. Kottwitz, P. H. McKenna, Urethral mobilization for distal and mid shaft hypospadias with chordee. J Urol 190, 1545-1548 (2013); published online EpubOct (10.1016/j.juro.2013.02.038).
- T. A. Kung, R. A. Bueno, G. K. Alkhalefah, N. B. Langhals, M. G. Urbanchek, P. S. Cederna, Innovations in prosthetic interfaces for the upper extremity. Plast Reconstr Surg 132, 1515-1523 (2013); published online EpubDec (10.1097/PRS.0b013e3182a97e5f).
- T. A. Liberati, R. A. Trammell, M. Randle, S. Barrett, L. A. Toth, Cytokine and chemokine responses of lung exposed to surrogate viral and bacterial infections. Comp Med 63, 114-126 (2013); published online EpubApr (
- A. M. Metz, Racial and ethnic underrepresentation in medicine: lessons from the past and a vision of the future. Teach Learn Med 25 Suppl 1, S33-38 (2013)10.1080/10401334.2013.842908).
- M. R. Pranzatelli, E. D. Tate, N. R. McGee, J. A. Colliver, R. M. Ransohoff, CCR4 agonists CCL22 and CCL17 are elevated in pediatric OMS sera: rapid and selective down-regulation of CCL22 by ACTH or corticosteroids. J Clin Immunol 33, 817-825 (2013); published online EpubMay (10.1007/s10875-013-9867-4).
- N. K. Roberts, L. D. Coplit, Future focus for professional development. Teach Learn Med 25 Suppl 1, S57-61 (2013)10.1080/10401334.2013.842913).
- L. Shahani, N. Khardori, Fusobacterium necrophorum--beyond Lemierres syndrome. BMJ Case Rep 2011, (2011)10.1136/bcr.07.2011.4527).
- J. M. Smith, J. E. Reid, M. L. Wilson, Resident Rounds. Part III. Cutaneous Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare resembling sarcoidosis. J Drugs Dermatol 12, 490-491 (2013); published online EpubApr (
- L. A. Toth, P. Bhargava, Animal models of sleep disorders. Comp Med 63, 91-104 (2013); published online EpubApr (
- C. M. Vassileva, B. T. Manning, T. M. Boley, S. R. Hazelrigg, Type a intramural hematoma in the setting of acute type B aortic dissection. Ann Thorac Surg 96, 1868-1870 (2013); published online EpubNov (10.1016/j.athoracsur.2013.01.096).
- M. Yang, L. Sheng, T. R. Zhang, Q. Li, Stem cell therapy for lower extremity diabetic ulcers: where do we stand? Biomed Res Int 2013, 462179 (2013)10.1155/2013/462179).
New Research Articles in Web of Science by SIUSM Authors
- P. Bhargava, V. Pandav, S. Peche, A Pediatric Case of Painful Legs and Moving Toes Syndrome. Pediatric Neurology 49, 298-299 (2013); published online EpubOct (10.1016/j.pediatrneurol.2013.06.016).
- J. A. Costa, M. Menier, T. J. Doran, T. S. Kohler, Catheter length preference in wheelchair-using men who perform routine clean intermittent catheterization. Spinal Cord 51, 772-775 (2013); published online EpubOct (10.1038/sc.2013.76).
- E. Eilati, K. Hales, Y. Zhuge, K. A. Fricano, R. Yu, R. B. van Breemen, D. B. Hales, Flaxseed enriched diet-mediated reduction in ovarian cancer severity is correlated to the reduction of prostaglandin E-2 in laying hen ovaries. Prostaglandins Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids 89, 179-187 (2013); published online EpubSep (10.1016/j.plefa.2013.08.001).
- J. L. Goldman, R. F. Baugh, L. Davies, M. L. Skinner, R. J. Stachler, J. Brereton, L. D. Eisenberg, D. W. Roberson, M. J. Brenner, Mortality and Major Morbidity After Tonsillectomy: Etiologic Factors and Strategies for Prevention. Laryngoscope 123, 2544-2553 (2013); published online EpubOct (10.1002/lary.23926).
- T. S. Kohler, A. Benson, L. Ost, S. K. Wilson, W. O. Brant, Intentionally Retained Pressure-Regulating Balloon in Artificial Urinary Sphincter Revision. Journal of Sexual Medicine 10, 2566-2570 (2013); published online EpubOct (10.1111/j.1743-6109.2012.02914.x).
- G. M. Liu, M. Neumeister, J. Reichensperger, R. D. Yang, Therapeutic potential of human adipose stem cells in a cancer stem cell-like gastric cancer cell model. International Journal of Oncology 43, 1301-1309 (2013); published online EpubOct (10.3892/ijo.2013.2039).
- P. R. Pandey, F. Xing, S. Sharma, M. Watabe, S. K. Pai, M. Iiizumi-Gairani, K. Fukuda, S. Hirota, Y. Y. Mo, K. Watabe, Elevated lipogenesis in epithelial stem-like cell confers survival advantage in ductal carcinoma in situ of breast cancer. Oncogene 32, 5111-5122 (2013); published online EpubOct (10.1038/onc.2012.519).
- S. G. Patel, M. Amit, T. C. Yen, C. T. Liao, P. Chaturvedi, J. P. Agarwal, L. P. Kowalski, A. Ebrahimi, J. R. Clark, C. R. Cernea, S. J. Brandao, M. Kreppel, J. Zoller, D. Fliss, E. Fridman, G. Bachar, T. Shpitzer, V. A. Bolzoni, P. R. Patel, S. Jonnalagadda, K. T. Robbins, J. P. Shah, Z. Gil, I. H. Int Consortium Outcome Res, Lymph node density in oral cavity cancer: results of the International Consortium for Outcomes Research. British Journal of Cancer 109, 2087-2095 (2013); published online EpubOct (10.1038/bjc.2013.570).
- J. A. Pearl, D. Berhanu, N. Francois, P. Masson, S. Zargaroff, J. Cashy, K. T. McVary, Testosterone Supplementation does not Worsen Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms. Journal of Urology 190, 1828-1833 (2013); published online EpubNov (10.1016/j.juro.2013.05.111).
- K. Piotrowska, S. J. Borkowska, B. Wiszniewska, M. Laszczynska, S. Sluczanowska-Glabowska, A. M. Havens, J. J. Kopchick, A. Bartke, R. S. Taichman, M. Kucia, M. Z. Ratajczak, The effect of low and high plasma levels of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) on the morphology of major organs: studies of Laron dwarf and bovine growth hormone transgenic (bGHTg) mice. Histology and Histopathology 28, 1325-1336 (2013); published online EpubOct (
- M. R. Pranzatelli, E. D. Tate, N. R. McGee, R. M. Ransohoff, CCR7 signaling in pediatric opsoclonus-myoclonus: Upregulated serum CCL21 expression is steroid-responsive. Cytokine 64, 331-336 (2013); published online EpubOct (10.1016/j.cyto.2013.05.020).
- B. D. Richardson, K. E. Hancock, D. M. Caspary, Stimulus-specific adaptation in auditory thalamus of young and aged awake rats. Journal of Neurophysiology 110, 1892-1902 (2013); published online EpubOct (10.1152/jn.00403.2013).
- R. D. Silverman, POVERTY, HEALTH, AND LAW: READINGS AND CASES FOR MEDICAL-LEGAL PARTNERSHIP. Journal of Legal Medicine 34, 327-336 (2013); published online EpubJul (10.1080/01947648.2013.831305).
- S. Sluczanowska-Glabowska, M. Laszczynska, K. Piotrowska, W. Glabowski, B. Rumianowski, M. Masternak, O. Arum, M. Kucia, J. J. Kopchick, A. Bartke, M. Z. Ratajczak, The effect of calorie restriction on the presence of apoptotic ovarian cells in normal wild type mice and low-plasma-IGF-1 Laron dwarf mice. Journal of Ovarian Research 6, (2013); published online EpubSep (10.1186/1757-2215-6-67).
- D. M. Stein, A. S. Flum, J. Cashy, L. C. Zhao, K. T. McVary, Nationwide Emergency Department Visits for Priapism in the United States. Journal of Sexual Medicine 10, 2418-2422 (2013); published online EpubOct (10.1111/jsm.12251).
- C. Suarez, J. P. Rodrigo, K. T. Robbins, V. Paleri, C. E. Silver, A. Rinaldo, J. E. Medina, M. Hamoir, A. Sanabria, V. Mondin, R. P. Takes, A. Ferlito, Superselective neck dissection: rationale, indications, and results. European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology 270, 2815-2821 (2013); published online EpubNov (10.1007/s00405-012-2344-5).
- C. M. Vassileva, C. McNeely, G. Mishkel, T. Boley, S. Markwell, S. Hazelrigg, Gender Differences in Long-Term Survival of Medicare Beneficiaries Undergoing Mitral Valve Operations. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 96, 1367-1373 (2013); published online EpubOct (10.1016/j.athoracsur.2013.04.055).
Shakespeare Traveling Exhibit and English Tea
The Medical Library is hosting the traveling exhibit: “And there’s the humor of it”: Shakespeare and the four humors.
During Shakespeare’s time, it was believed that the four bodily humors (blood, bile, melancholy, and phlegm) formed the foundation of people’s physical and mental health and determined their personality. These four humors contributed to the emotions of anger, grief, hope, and fear, which played such a role in Shakespeare’s writings.
Writings featured in the display come from the National Library of Medicine and the Folger Shakespeare Library.
To celebrate the exhibit at SIU, please join us for an English tea and period music on Thursday, November 14, from 12:00 noon to 1:00 p.m. Enjoy refreshments and view the exhibit, while listening to live music performed by our own Carol Gordon (flute), her daughter, Kelsey Thornton (cello), and Debbie Eddy (flute).
The exhibit will be on display through December 13.