"The residency program at SIU provides: nice program, excellent patient care, nice staff, supportive faculty members, large patient population with diversity of patient condition." - Ravish Shah, Resident
- Categorical residents will be assigned to a single attending physician or clinic for the duration of their internal medicine residency.
- Residents will attend their continuity clinic every 4th week with one week of clinic duty.
- Residents will evaluate and manage patients assigned to them in the attending physician's office with supervision of the attending physician.
- With supervision of the attending physician, each resident will provide all ongoing care to patients seen by him/her in the ambulatory clinic, including all follow up of acute or chronic medical problems, preventative and maintenance health care, appropriate counseling of patients and families, and patient education.
- Telephone messages, prescription refills, lab reports, and emergency or after-hours care of residents' patients will be handled by the residents if possible. Residents should routinely, within 48 hours of their clinic day, follow-up on patient labs and ancillary studies as available and call the patient. Inform the office nurse of your communications.
- Each resident will be evaluated biannually by their faculty preceptor in the ambulatory setting.
- Absence from clinic will be permitted for vacations, educational leaves, illness or personal emergencies.