St. John's Hospital
Hospital was founded in 1875 by the Hospital Sisters of the Third
Order of St. Francis and is an affiliate of the Hospital Sisters
Health System. As a regional health care referral center, St. John's
provides tertiary care for the for the entire central and southern
More than 2,000 infants are born each year at St. John's. Its Level III Perinatal Center provides a complete program of maternal/infant care. The center includes an outpatient fetal evaluation laboratory, an antenatal unit and the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Founded in 1941, the NICU is a 35-bed unit that serves 33 counties.
A fully equipped, eight-bed intensive care unit is available for critically ill children from infancy through age 18. The pediatrics department also includes 32 beds for intermediate and acute care. Other special care areas include a 36-bed adult intensive care unit and a 49-bed psychiatric unit, and a 25-bed chemical dependency rehabilitation unit.
St. John's is recognized as a leader in cardiac services, having the largest heart program in Illinois. The first open heart surgery in Springfield was performed in 1964. Approximately 7,200 procedures are performed every year in the seven cardiac catheterization labs, including diagnostic catheterizations and many nonsurgical treatment procedures.