Benefits & Salary
First Year Resident
|Second Year Resident||
|Third Year Resident||
|Fourth Year Resident||
|Fifth Year Resident||
All residents/fellows may be permitted up to:
- 3 weeks of vacation
- 2 weeks of sick leave
- 1 week of educational leave
- 3 calendar days of bereavement leave
Excellent medical and dental health insurance is available at a minimal charge. An optional family plan can be purchased.
Basic life insurance is provided at no cost.
Additional long term portable disability insurance is available at a special fee to all residents.
Career Support Program
We have combined the expertise of several local resources to establish a formal Career Support Program which focuses on helping each resident acquire the very best position possible after completing their residency. The support program provides personal guidance and intervention to help the resident get the most competitive fellowships, or for those interested in general medicine practice, we can identify opportunities and help our residents review contracts and compensation plans. This effort will start during the first year with a formal meeting with the program coordinator to develop a career plan, identify an appropriate adviser, and guide and assist the resident to reach his/her goals.
Enhanced Recruitment Support
Our recruitment efforts are based on our sharpened focus on the mission of the medical school which is "To assist the people of Central and Southern Illinois in meeting their health care needs through education, clinical service, and research..." With that in mind, we interview and aggressively recruit graduates of the SIU School of Medicine, graduates of other allopathic and osteopathic schools in Illinois and the Midwest U.S. We also invite a small number of others who are highly qualified and whose professional and personal backgrounds suggest that they are a good match with our mission.
We offer generous financial support of travel and lodging expenses for those categorical medicine and combined medicine-psychiatry applicants who accept our invitation to interview in Springfield; and for all those who match in our categorical and Medicine-Psychiatry programs, we will provide a generous transition allowance.
Resident Support and other Benefits:
- Parking is convenient and free
- Meals free of charge to residents on in-house call.
- Comfortable resident call quarters and exercise facilities available at each hospital.
- Twenty-four hour a day fully staffed ancillary staff support services available at both hospitals.
- All residents receive free individual version of "Up-to-Date" program; senior residents receive current edition of MKSAP for board review; all senior residents are provided travel and tuition to national ACP Annual Session; and all residents will have opportunities to attend other educational meetings.
- Reduced fees at local "Fit Club"