Department of Neurology

Epilepsy surgery for grand mal seizures

Q: What kind of surgery can be done for grand mal seizures?
Where can it be done?
Can he out grow this?

A: By "grand mal" seizures, I presume you mean tonic-clonic (convulsive) seizures that affect the entire body. If the seizures start from one part of the brain, this area can often be removed with surgery. Some children do "outgrow" their epilepsy, but this is uncommon in adults. Epilepsy surgery can be performed at a number of epilepsy centers across the country. For a detailed list, select the "epilepsy centers" link on our web pages. Whether this can be performed on a given individual can only be determined after evaluation.

Return to Question Page