November 14, 2008
Eighteen first-year medical students have been elected officers, representatives and committee members for the Class of 2012 at Southern Illinois University School of Medicine in Carbondale.
(Editor: See the attached list for the student from your community.)
SIU School of Medicine is a public medical school established in 1970 and focused on the health care needs of downstate Illinois. An international leader in medical education, the school is based in Carbondale and Springfield and is specifically oriented to educating new physicians prepared to practice in Illinois communities. Since opening, more than 2,200 physicians have graduated from its program. Its Web site is www.siumed.edu.
SIU School of Medicine Class of 2012 Officers
• Kari Oxford, daughter of Larry and Susan Oxford of Eldorado and Judy Oxford of Rosiclare, was elected chair of the freshman class.
• Marco Britton, son of Jeanette Britton of Decatur, was elected vice chair of the freshman class.
• Shannon Curry, daughter of Kevin and Shari Curry of Springfield, was elected secretary of the freshman class.
• Rachel Needham, daughter of Neal Needham of Dongola and Cindy Mosley of Jonesboro, was elected treasurer of the freshman class.
• Eliza Davis, daughter of Drew and Katie Davis of Springfield, was elected as freshman class representative to the student general assembly.
• Adaeze Okonkwo, daughter of Cletus and Francisca Okonkwo of Spring, Texas, was elected as freshman class representative to the student general assembly.
• Reem Nubani, daughter of Yaser and Nuha Nubani of Chicago, was elected as a member of the Organization of Student Representatives.
SIU School of Medicine Class of 2012 Committee Members
• Erik R. Hoefgen, son of Russ and Carol Hoefgen of Eureka, Mo., was elected to serve on the admissions committee.
• Chris Stephenson, son of Pat and Karen Gauen of Highland and Ric and Vonda Stephenson of Edwardsville, was elected to serve on the educational policy committee.
• Nathaniel Wetter Taylor, son of Craig and Jennifer Wetter Taylor of Mendota, was elected to serve on the information management policy committee.
• DeAnn E. Moore, daughter of Sandra Saffold of Colorado Springs, Co., was elected to serve on the student advisory committee.
• Stefanie Ames, daughter of Henry and Gloria Ames of Franklin, Tenn., was elected to serve on the student advisory committee.
• Rubab Hasnie, daughter of Anees and Masooma Hasnie of Chicago, was elected to serve on the student progress committee.
• Sara Dumich, daughter of Peter and Linda Dumich of Champaign, was elected to serve on the student handbook committee.
• Alison Saulog, daughter of Pete and Lita Saulog of Salem, was elected to serve as volunteer coordinator.
• Luke Freiburg, son of David and Barb Freiburg of Quincy, was elected to serve on the doctoring committee.
• Keith T. Ferguson, son of Timothy L. Ferguson of Centralia, was elected to serve on the Year 1 curriculum committee.
• Stephen D. Harmon, son of David and Lois Harmon of Jerseyville, was elected to serve on the Year 1 curriculum committee.