November 14, 2008
Fifteen second-year medical students have been elected officers, representatives and committee members for the Class of 2011 at Southern Illinois University School of Medicine in Springfield.
(Editor: See the attached list for the student from your community.)
SIU School of Medicine is a public medical school established in 1970 and focused on the health care needs of downstate Illinois. An international leader in medical education, the school is based in Carbondale and Springfield and is specifically oriented to educating new physicians prepared to practice in Illinois communities. Since opening, more than 2,200 physicians have graduated from its program. Its Web site is www.siumed.edu.
SIU School of Medicine Class of 2011 Officers
• Sara Rubenacker, daughter of Keith and Nolene Rubenacker of Dahlgren, was elected chair of the sophomore class.
• Terrence Carter, son of Kenneth C. Carter of South Holland, was elected vice chair of the sophomore class and member of the student advisory committee.
• Bethany Kearns, daughter of Michael and Carmella Kearns of Springfield, was elected secretary of the sophomore class.
• Irene Meder, daughter of Richard and Helen Meder of North Canton, Ohio, was elected treasurer of the sophomore class.
• Daniel Deem, son of Charles and Debroah Deem of Villa Grove, was elected as sophomore class representative to the student general assembly.
• Mary Sterrett, daughter of Paul and Marguerite Sterrett of New Baden, was elected as sophomore class representative to the student general assembly.
• Shariff Shakir, son of Linda Shakir of Harrisburg, was elected as a member of the Organization of Student Representatives.
SIU School of Medicine Class of 2011 Committee Members
• Okechuku Enyia, son of Sam and Irene Enyia of Frankfort, was elected to serve on the admissions committee.
• Erin Schafer, daughter of Kevin and Michelle Schafer of Williamsville, was elected to serve on the educational policy committee.
• Anthony J. Buecker, son of James and Christine Buecker of Peoria Heights, was elected to serve on the information management policy committee and the parking committee.
• Katherine “Katie” Thompson, daughter of J. Graham and Virginia Thompson of Ashland, was elected to serve on the library advisory committee.
• Lee Radford, son of Mike and Susan Radford of Orion, was elected to serve on the student advisory committee.
• Esther Khatibi, daughter of Jafar Khatibi of Chicago and Zoe Khatibi of Melrose Park, was elected to serve on the student progress committee.
• Kimberly Dubois, daughter of Richard and Carol Dubois of Lacon, was elected to serve on the traffic appeals committee.
• Chris Slater, son of Douglas and Catherine Slater of Springfield, was elected to serve on the doctoring committee and the Year 2 curriculum committee.