To All SIU-SOM Employees and Medical Students:
This is a reminder of the process for a Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure. We will send this reminder twice a year.
If you have a Bloodborne pathogen exposure (needle-stick, cut, puncture wound, mucous membrane splash or skin exposure), follow these procedures:
During work hours, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., immediately call the Employee Health Nurse, Virginia (Jenny) Copple at 545-8970 or page her at 492-2446. Her office is located in Human Resources at the Calhoun Complex — Room 165.
After hours, weekends or holidays call SIU answering service at 545-8000 and have them page the Infectious Disease Doctor on call.
If the exposure is after hours please notify the Employee Health Nurse the next day. You will need to complete forms concerning the exposure.
St. John’s Hospital Exposure procedure:
- Call the St. John’s operator (544-6464) and ask for Employee Health. If it is after 3:30 ask for the Nursing Coordinator.
- The St. John’s Staff will ensure blood testing is done on the source patient per SIU protocol.
- The St. John’s staff will get your contact information and call the source patient’s lab results to you.
- You must complete a “Consent for Disclosure” form so the SRJ Employee Health Nurse can obtain the source patient’s lab results. (This form can be obtained from SRJ or St. John’s Employee Health Nurse.)
- If the exposure occurs between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., call 545-8970 or page 492-2446. The SIU Employee Health Nurse will take care of ordering your labs. If after 4:30 p.m. call the SIU answering service at 545-8000, and ask them to page the Infectious Disease Doctor on call.
- The SIU Employee Health Nurse will send you all forms that need completed.
Memorial Medical Center and All Other Exposures:
Call or page the SRI Employee Health Nurse from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Phone: 545-8970
- Pager: 492-2446
- After 4:30, on weekends or holidays, call 545-8000 and ask them to page the Infectious Disease Doctor on call.