Office of Education and Curriculum
Year Two Curriculum Committee
The Committee has responsibility for the coordination of faculty efforts in the development, management, and delivery of the second year curriculum for medical students and for the evaluation of student performance in the second year. The principles and policies governing the second year curriculum shall be in accord with those established by the Educational Policy Council (EPC). When appropriate, the Committee recommends educational policy to the EPC and responds to inquiries concerning the second year curriculum from the EPC or other committees of the school. The Committee establishes a Year 2 Student Progress Document that contains guidelines for recommendations concerning student progress to the Student Progress Committee. The Committee also establishes a Year 2 Student Progress Subcommittee that operating under the guidelines contained in the Year 2 Student Progress Document, makes recommendations concerning individual student performance to the Student Progress Committee (SPC).
- Appointment of Members
- The Year 2 Director is appointed by the Dean of the School of Medicine and the Associate Dean for Education and Curriculum.
- The Co-Directors of the Year 2 Units (Hematology, Immunology, and Infection; Cardiovascular, Renal, Respiratory; Neuromuscular/Behavior; and Endocrine, Reproduction and Gastrointestinal) are appointed by the Year 2 Director. In most cases, the Co-Directors of each unit will include a basic scientist and a clinician. The Year 2 Director provides input on the selection of the Population Health & Prevention Representative.
- The Director of the Doctoring curriculum is appointed by the Dean of the School of Medicine and the Associate Dean for Education and Curriculum.
- A faculty representative from the library is appointed by the Associate Dean for Information Resources.
- A maximum of four At-Large voting members can be appointed by the Year 2 Director based on the needs of the curriculum. The maximum term of the at-large members is 5 years but the term may be renewed.
- A student representative is elected by the Year 2 students.
- A student representative from Year 3 holds an ex-officio (non-voting) appointment and is appointed by the Year 2 Director.
- The Associate Dean for Education and Curriculum, Associate Dean for Students Affairs, Year 1 Director, faculty members from the Department of Medical Education and curriculum staff from the Office of Education and Curriculum hold ex-officio (non-voting) appointments to the committee.
- Appointments shall be subject to the appointment approval procedures of the Faculty Council and the Dean of the School of Medicine.
- The Year 2 Curriculum Committee will elect a vice chair from among the voting members.
- Voting Membership
The voting members of the committee include the Year 2 Director, the Unit Co-Directors, the Director of Doctoring, the Director of Population Health & Prevention, the At-Large Members, the library representative and the Year 2 student representative.
- Year 2 Director
The Year 2 Director:
- Schedules meetings, establishes agendas and chairs meetings of the Committee.
- Creates standing and ad hoc subcommittees as needed.
- Represents the Committee on the Educational Policy Council, the Student Progress Committee, and other standing or ad hoc committees of the School.
- Responds to other requests made of the Committee with appropriate action.
- Standing Subcommittee(s)
- Year 2 Student Progress Subcommittee (Y2SPS). The permanent members of the Y2SPS shall consist of the Year 2 Curriculum Director, the Director of Doctoring, and the Associate Dean for Education and Curriculum. The Co-Directors of each unit are included in the committee when recommendations from that unit are being considered. The purpose of the subcommittee is to monitor student performance throughout the Year 2 curriculum and to make recommendations to the Student Progress Committee concerning promotion and remedial activities. The Y2SPS will receive recommendations concerning student performance from unit co-directors and from the Director of Doctoring. The Y2SPS will use the operating guidelines outlined in the Year 2 Student Progress Document in forming its recommendations to the SPC. The Education and Curriculum Year 2 Coordinator will staff the subcommittee.
- Meetings and Procedures
- The committee will meet at least once a month.
- Meetings are conducted using Roberts' Rules of Order.
- A simple majority of voting members present will be required to pass a motion.
- Formal business may be conducted in the absence of a quorum, but formal votes will not be taken.
- Any member of the committee may ask to have an issue put on the agenda for discussion.
- Only members of the committee are eligible to make or second a motion.
- A topic or issue will not be voted upon the day it is introduced.
- Proxy attendance is permitted and proxy votes are counted (written proxy from a member should be given to the chair prior to the meeting) and no individual may carry more than a single vote.
- All members of the SIU School of Medicine community are welcome to attend meetings.
- Student and non-committee members may be excused from meetings wherein confidential issues are discussed.