Laura Hepp Kessel
Assistant Director, Office of Regional Programs
In 2014, SIU Medicine established a regional office to provide service to the western region of Illinois. The office is housed within the Graham Health System E.P. Coleman Office Building in Canton. The western region includes Adams, Brown, Calhoun, Cass, Fulton, Greene, Hancock, Henderson, Jersey, Logan, Macoupin, Mason, McDonough, Menard, Montgomery, Morgan, Pike, Schuyler, Scott and Warren counties.
Ms. Kessel joined SIU Medicine in 2014 as the Assistant Director for the western region of Illinois. Her responsibilities include partnering with local stakeholders in order to address community health issues in a twenty-county region, supporting the Assistant Provost of Clinical and External Affiliations in regional health efforts, and supporting the interdepartmental efforts that expand the School's programs in population health and regional service programs.
Ms. Kessel received her Bachelor of Science in Social Work from Southern Illinois University - Carbondale prior to receiving her Master of Social Work (with a concentration in social and economic development) from the Brown School at Washington University in St. Louis.
Western Region Initiatives
- Health Career Exploration Programming
- Fulton County Health Career Opportunities (FCHCO) - A health career exploration program for high school students in Fulton County.
- Havana Health Career Opportunities (HHCO) - A health career exploration program for high school students in the Havana School District.
- John Wood Community College JDUB Academy - An introduction to health careers summer course for high school students in the JWCC district.
- McDonough County Health Career Opportunities (MCHCO) - A one-day spring health expo and ongoing health career exploration program for high school students in McDonough County.
- Western Illinois Counties Alliance (WICA) - An SIU Dept. of Family and Community Medicine initiative, five western Illinois county health department administrators meet to discuss issues affecting their region.
Office of Regional Programs
175 S Main Street | E.P. Coleman Building
Canton, IL 61520