MSPA Application Information
Applications accepted only through CASPAonline.org
Application to the PA Program is a multi-step process:
The candidate must use the ApplyYourself system to apply to the SIU Graduate School before a PA Program Application can be reviewed. Go online using the website below and click on ‘Apply Now’ on the home page.
1. Before the deadline, applicants must complete application to the SIU Graduate School at http://www.gradschool.siu.edu/. Using the ApplyYourself System, select ‘MSPA’ and the appropriate semester, before you enter information. Pay the $50 non-refundable fee. Do not upload transcripts, essays, personal statements, resumes or reference letters to this supplemental application. Those should be submitted to CASPA.
2. Completion of all required prerequisite courses, with the exception of Medical Terminology and CPR for Healthcare Providers, is necessary prior to consideration by the PA Program. Submit a current copy (front and back) of the signed card to the Program Advisor. All prerequisite courses must be complete by the end of the fall semester (12/31) in an application year, with the exception of Medical Terminology and CPR for Healthcare Providers, which must be completed by the end of the Spring Semester prior to matriculation to the Program.
Before the deadline, applicants must:
1. Complete a PA Program application using CASPAonline.org.
2. Have earned Grade Point Averages (GPA) of 3.2 (A=4.0) or higher, on the following: overall coursework and science coursework. CASPA calculates these two GPAs.
3. Have an earned GPA of 3.2 or higher on Program prerequisites as calculated by SIU.
4. Have evidence of significant health care experience and PA shadowing and/or a combination of volunteer, observation and PA shadowing experience.
5. Apply to the SIU Graduate School and pay the $50.00 non-refundable application fee (fee subject to increase without notice).
Important dates to consider:
April 22nd: Application Process begins (CASPAonline.org)
Late June: Applicant file reviews begin; Interviews will start later
Deadline: Deadline to submit all PA Program application documents will be published on our website and can be obtained from our Program Advisor. The PA Program utilizes a rolling admissions process. Therefore, applicants are encouraged to apply early.
The most academically and experientially qualified students are invited to participate in formal interview sessions. Selection of candidates for admission into the PA Program is made by committee review following applicants’ interviews. Preference is given to those applicants with a complete application packet (see list below), evaluated transcripts, GRE or MCAT scores, healthcare experience in conjunction with shadowing a certified, licensed PA-C, exceptional academic performance, and strong references.
Please be advised that border state students will not receive a tuition decrease. Therefore they will pay a higher tuition rate. Establishing residency to receive the in-state tuition rate can be applied for after six (6) months’ attendance with a form and certain requirements.
More information regarding the admissions process can be obtained by single-clicking the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) link on our official webpage (http://paprogram.siu.edu) or contacting the Program Advisor at (618) 453-5527 or at paadvisement-L@listserv.siu.edu.
See Application Checklist Below
Please follow this checklist to assure completion of all steps.
Please make sure that complete the following as you make application to the PA Program. Only complete applications will be considered:
ð Submit an application to the SIU Graduate School at http://www.gradschool.siu.edu/ and pay the $50.00 non-refundable application fee (subject to increase without notice). Do not upload transcripts, essays, personal statements, resumes or reference letters to the SIU Grad School application. Your application to the SIU PA Program will not be processed without completion of the SIU Grad School application and payment of the non-refundable application fee by the published deadline.
ð Apply online (per CASPA) between the dates of April 22nd and the published deadline.
ð Be certain that your CASPA application is complete. Your GRE or MCAT score should be sent to CASPA with the SIU code – 0480. Your resume should be included in the CASPA application.
ð Obtain certification in CPR for Healthcare Providers and submit a current copy (front and back) of the signed card to the Program Advisor. (If you haven’t taken the class or need to recertify, you have until the end of the Spring semester to get this done, as well as complete the Medical Terminology prerequisite requirement).
Application materials will not be accepted after the published deadline.
Revised: 3/14jb; 1/15jb; 3/15jb