Caspa Supplemental Application Info
CASPA Applicant Information and Checklist
Applications accepted only through CASPAonline.org
Admission to the PA Program is a multi- step process:
The candidate must use the ApplyYourself system to apply to the Graduate School before a PA Program Application can be reviewed. Just go online using the website below and click on ‘Apply Now’ on the home page.
- Complete application to the Graduate School at http://www.gradschool.siu.edu/. Using the ApplyYourself System, select ‘MSPA’ and the appropriate semester, before you enter information. Pay the $50 non-refundable fee. Do not upload transcripts, essays, personal statements, resumes or reference letters. Those should be submitted to CASPA. You will have to submit supplemental documents to the PA Program Academic Advisor prior to the stated deadline. Make sure to follow the attached list.
- Completion of all required prerequisite courses, with the exception of Medical Terminology and CPR for Healthcare Providers, is necessary prior to consideration by the PA Program. All prerequisite courses must be complete by the end of the Fall semester (12/31) in an application year. (Official transcripts with additional classes and/or a posted degree are due by the following January 31st.)
Before the deadline, applicants must:
- Complete a PA Program application using CASPAonline.org.
- Make sure all supplemental documents are on file in the PA Program Advisor’s office.
- Have an earned cumulative (overall) Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.2 (A=4.0) or higher, as calculated by CASPA on your undergraduate coursework and Science Classes.
- Have an earned GPA of 3.2 or higher on Program prerequisites as calculated by SIU.
- Have evidence of significant health care experience and PA shadowing and/or a combination of volunteer, observation and PA shadowing experience.
- Pay the $50.00 non-refundable application fee. (fee subject to increase without notice)
Important dates to consider:
April 17th: Application Process begins (CASPAonline.org)
Late June: Reviews begin; Interviews will start later
Deadline: Deadline to submit all PA Program application documents will be published on our website and can be obtained from our Academic Advisor. The PA Program utilizes a rolling admissions process. Therefore, applicants are encouraged to apply early.
The most academically and experientially qualified students are invited to participate in formal interview sessions. Selection of candidates for admission into the PA Program is made by a committee review following applicants’ interviews. Preference is given to those applicants with a complete application packet (including supplemental documents; see list below), an evaluated transcript, healthcare experience in conjunction with shadowing a certified, licensed PA-C, exceptional academic performance, and strong references.
Please be advised that border state students will not receive a tuition decrease. Therefore they will pay a higher tuition rate. Establishing residency to receive the in-state tuition rate can be applied for after six (6) months’ attendance with a form and certain requirements.
More information regarding the admissions process can be obtained by single-clicking the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) link on our official webpage (http://paprogram.siu.edu) or contacting the Academic Advisor at (618) 453-5527 or at paadvisement-L@listserv.siu.edu.
See Supplemental Documents list below.
Please follow this checklist to assure completion of all steps and submission of all necessary supplemental documents.
Please make sure that you have done the following as you make application to the PA Program:
- Apply online (per CASPA) between the dates of April 15th and the published deadline
- Contact the SIU PA Program Academic Advisor at (618) 453-5527, or paadvisement-L@listserv.siu.edu or www.paprogram.siu.edufor any updates and/or any additional questions
- Send the Program a copy of your GRE, MAT or MCAT Score Sheet; go to firstname.lastname@example.org to request that a copy of your GRE or MAT Score sheet be sent to the PA Program Academic Advisor; you may also call Kathryn at (618) 453-2391.
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended, showing coursework and/or a posted Bachelors Degree to the Academic Advisor
- Submit an application to the SIU Graduate School at http://www.gradschool.siu.edu/ and pay the $50.00 non-refundable application fee, (subject to increase without notice), and send a copy of the confirmation e-mails sent to you upon receipt: one refers to your payment and the other refers to your completion of the process.
- Submit your SIU Dawg Tag Number to the Academic Advisor - if known
- Mail all supplemental documents so that they are postmarked on or before the published deadline
- Get certified in CPR for Healthcare Providers and submit a current copy (front and back) of the signed card (If you haven’t taken the class or need to update, you have until the Spring semester to get this done, as well as Medical Terminology)
- Included a brief resume`
Send all information to:
SIU PA Program
Carbondale, IL 62901
Application materials will not be accepted after the published deadline.