SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY (SIU) SCHOOL OF MEDICINE (SOM)
PREREQUISITES FOR THE MASTER OF SCIENCE
IN PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT STUDIES PROGRAM (MSPA)
(Please note: This information is subject to change)
All applicants must meet the admission requirements of the Graduate School.
Applicants to the one year Master’s Completion Program (MCP) must have a Bachelor’s degree from an ARC-PA accredited college or university PA Program and certification as a PA. Applicants to the seven-semester Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies (MSPA) Program should hold a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university by the time of matriculation to the graduate PA Program. The Master’s Program is 26 months long. The first year is completed on campus in Carbondale. The subsequent months are spent at a rotation site determined later in the Program. Other requirements are listed as follows:
1. The applicant must have successfully completed the following prerequisite courses or their equivalents:
All prerequisite coursework must be completed by the end of the fall term prior to matriculation; with the exception of Medical Terminology and CPR for healthcare providers that can be taken in the following spring semester.
Only grades of “C” or better will be accepted for transfer. Grades of “C-“or below will not transfer for credit. Grades of “C” in the courses below will lower your prerequisite GPA significantly and may threaten acceptable requirements.
Required Prerequisites at SIU or the Equivalent:
Medical Terminology (class or proficiency)
Chemistry/Biochemistry with lab (two semesters of general, organic or inorganic)
General Psychology – one semester
Human Physiology – one semester (upper level preferred)
Human Anatomy – one semester (upper level with cadaver lab preferred)
Microbiology with lab – one semester
General Biology for science majors or Genetics or Cell and Molecular Biology – one semester
Statistics with Probability – one semester
English Composition – one semester
Speech/Oral Communication – one semester
Basic Cardiac Life Support - Certification in CPR for healthcare providers
Pharmacology and Pathophysiology are highly recommended before matriculation.
2. The cumulative grade point average (GPA) for your Bachelors must be at least 3.2 (A = 4.0). Prerequisite and Science course GPAs must also be at least a 3.2 (A = 4.0). All grades in completed prerequisites, if not included in the Bachelors, should be forwarded as soon as possible to the PA Program Advisor after each semester ends.
3. Applicants should have significant health care experience, with preference given to candidates with at least 2000 hours of documented work. This experience can be in conjunction with shadowing a licensed, certified, practicing Physician Assistant. Combinations of experience may vary and can be full-time or part-time, as an employee or volunteer. Preference will be given to those applicants with credentialed experience in providing direct patient care and shadowing a certified Physician Assistant.
4. Applicants must submit test scores from either of the Miller Analogies Test (MAT), the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT).
5. Applicants will be evaluated on the overall submitted application package, academic potential, motivation, familiarity with the PA role, level of maturity, oral and written communication skills, inter-personal skills, and potential for success in the SIU SOM PA Program and the PA profession.
6. Students are highly encouraged to be proficient in the use of computers before matriculation to the Program, especially with software applications such as Microsoft Word.
7. The application process is open once per year; beginning on April 15th and ending on the published date. You must complete a CASPA application, apply to the Graduate School (using the ApplyYourself System – http://www.gradschool.siu.edu) and submit all supplemental documents to the Program Advisor by the stated deadline. We utilize rolling admissions, thus applicants are encouraged to apply early in the process. No application will be processed after the published deadline. In the absence of the $50.00 application fee, applications will not progress in the process - (fee is subject to increase without prior notice).
*Application accepted through CASPAonline.org only*
- Only complete applications will be considered for acceptance!!
- Application does not guarantee admission to the PA Program -
- This information is periodically updated; use the official website below for updates -
Please contact the SIU SOM PA Program for a final list of prerequisites and other information. Also, check online periodically at http://paprogram.siu.edu for updated information as it is released. Our Academic Advisor can be contacted at paadvisement-L@listserv.siu.edu
Thank you for your interest in the Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies Program at Southern Illinois University.