SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY (SIU)
SCHOOL OF MEDICINE (SOM)
PREREQUISITES FOR THE MASTER OF SCIENCE
IN PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT STUDIES PROGRAM (MSPA)
(Please note: This information is subject to change)
All applicants must meet the admission requirements of the Graduate School.
Applicants to the seven-semester Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies (MSPA) Program must hold a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university by the time of matriculation to the graduate PA Program. The Master’s Program is 26 months long. The first year is completed on campus in Carbondale. The subsequent months are spent at a rotation site determined later in the Program. Other requirements are listed as follows:
1. The applicant must have successfully completed the following prerequisite courses or their equivalents:
Required Prerequisites for MSPA Consideration
2. The overall grade point average (GPA) and the science GPA, as calculated by CASPA, must be at least 3.2 (A = 4.0). The prerequisite course GPA, as calculated by SIU, must also be at least a 3.2 (A = 4.0). All grades in completed prerequisites, if not included in the initial application, should be forwarded as soon as possible to the PA Program Advisor after each semester ends.
3. Applicants should have significant health care experience, with preference given to candidates with at least 2000 hours of documented work. This experience should be in conjunction with shadowing a licensed, certified, practicing Physician Assistant. Combinations of experience may vary and can be full-time or part-time, as an employee or volunteer. Preference will be given to those applicants with credentialed experience in providing direct patient care and shadowing a certified Physician Assistant.
4. Applicants must submit test scores from either the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT).
5. Applicants will be evaluated on the overall submitted application package, academic potential, motivation, familiarity with the PA role, level of maturity, oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and potential for success in the SIU SOM PA Program and the PA profession.
6. Students are highly encouraged to be proficient in the use of computers before matriculation to the Program, especially with software applications such as Microsoft Word.
7. The application process is open once per year; beginning on April 27th and ending on the published date. You must apply to the Graduate School (using the Apply Yourself System – http://www.gradschool.siu.edu) and have a completed, verified CASPA application by the stated application deadline. We utilize rolling admissions, thus applicants are encouraged to apply early in the process. No application will be processed after the published verification deadline. In the absence of the SIU Graduate School application fee, applications will not progress in the process - (fee is subject to increase without prior notice).
All applicants invited to join the SIU PA Program are required to pass a criminal background check through CertifiedBackground.com prior to matriculation.
*Application accepted through CASPAonline.org only*
- Only complete, verified applications will be considered for acceptance -
- Application does not guarantee admission to the PA Program -
Please contact the SIU SOM PA Program for a final list of prerequisites and other information. Also, check online periodically at http://www.siumed.edu/paprogram for updated information as it is released. Our Program Advisor can be contacted at paadvisement-L@listserv.siu.edu
Thank you for your interest in the Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies Program at Southern Illinois University.
Rev: 4/14jb; 1/15jb; 3/15jb;1/16jb;2/16jb