SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY (SIU) SCHOOL OF MEDICINE (SOM)
PREREQUISITES FOR THE MASTER OF SCIENCE
IN PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT STUDIES PROGRAM (MSPA)
(Please note: This information is subject to change)
All applicants must meet the admission
requirements of the
Applicants to the one year Master’s Completion
Program (MCP) must have a Bachelor’s degree from an ARC-PA accredited
college or university PA Program and certification as a PA. Applicants
to the seven-semester Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies
(MSPA) Program must hold a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college
or university by the time of matriculation to the graduate PA Program. The
Master’s Program is 26 months long. The first year is completed on
1. The applicant must have successfully completed the following prerequisite courses or their equivalents:
· All prerequisite coursework must be completed by the end of the fall term prior to matriculation - with the exception of Medical Terminology and CPR for health care providers that can be taken in the following spring semester.
· Only grades of “C” or better will be accepted for transfer. Grades of “C-“or below will not be accepted. Grades of “C” in the courses below will lower the prerequisite GPA significantly and may threaten acceptable requirements.
Required Prerequisites for MSPA Consideration
à Medical Terminology - one semester (or passage of proficiency exam)
à Chemistry, with lab - two semesters (select from General, Organic, or Inorganic)
à Psychology - one semester
à Human Physiology - one semester (upper level preferred)
à Human Anatomy - one semester (upper level with cadaver lab preferred)
à Microbiology with lab - one semester
à General Biology for science majors - one semester (may also select from Genetics or Cell and Molecular Biology)
à Statistics - one semester
à English Composition - one semester
à Speech/Oral Communication - one semester
à Basic Cardiac Life Support – BLS certification in CPR for health care providers
· Pharmacology, Pathophysiology, and Biochemistry, although not required, are highly recommended before matriculation.
2. The overall grade point average (GPA) and the science GPA, as calculated by CASPA, must be at least 3.2 (A = 4.0). The prerequisite course GPA, as calculated by SIU, must also be at least a 3.2 (A = 4.0). All grades in completed prerequisites, if not included in the initial application, should be forwarded as soon as possible to the PA Program Advisor after each semester ends.
3. Applicants should have significant health care experience, with preference given to candidates with at least 2000 hours of documented work. This experience should be in conjunction with shadowing a licensed, certified, practicing Physician Assistant. Combinations of experience may vary and can be full-time or part-time, as an employee or volunteer. Preference will be given to those applicants with credentialed experience in providing direct patient care and shadowing a certified Physician Assistant.
4. Applicants must submit test scores from either of the Miller Analogies Test (MAT), the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), or the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT).
5. Applicants will be evaluated on the overall submitted application package, academic potential, motivation, familiarity with the PA role, level of maturity, oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and potential for success in the SIU SOM PA Program and the PA profession.
6. Students are highly encouraged to be proficient in the use of computers before matriculation to the Program, especially with software applications such as Microsoft Word.
7. The application process is open once per year; beginning on April 16th and ending on the published date. You must apply to the Graduate School (using the Apply Yourself System – http://www.gradschool.siu.edu), complete a CASPA application, and submit all supplemental documents and official transcripts to the Program Advisor by the stated deadline. We utilize rolling admissions, thus applicants are encouraged to apply early in the process. No application will be processed after the published deadline. In the absence of the $50.00 application fee, applications will not progress in the process - (fee is subject to increase without prior notice).
*Application accepted through CASPAonline.org only*
- Only complete applications will be considered for acceptance!!
- Application does not guarantee admission to the PA Program -
- This information is periodically updated; use the official website below for updates –
Please contact the SIU SOM PA Program for a final list of prerequisites and other information. Also, check online periodically at http://www.siumed.edu/paprogram for updated information as it is released. Our Program Advisor can be contacted at paadvisement-L@listserv.siu.edu
Thank you for your interest in the Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies Program at Southern Illinois University.