SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
Department of Pediatrics ~ Pediatric Grand Rounds
8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
St. John’s Hospital Bunn Auditorium
August - May
April 3rd “Laboratory Testing in the Assessment of Child Abuse”
Presenter: Kathy Swafford, MD
Assistant Professor of Clinical Pediatrics, Department of Pediatrics, SIU School of Medicine
Director, Children’s Medical Resource Network
At the conclusion of this activity, the learner should be able to:
1. Appropriately select lab tests for possible victims of child abuse based on new guidelines.
2. Differentiate children who should be evaluated for bleeding disorders.
3. Order other relevant lab tests for suspected victims of child abuse.
Dr. Swafford states she has nothing to disclose.
April 10th “The Child with Elevated Blood Pressure”
Presenter: Ramzi Nicolas, MD, Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Division Director of Pediatric and Fetal Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, SIU School of Medicine
1. Help primary care physicians understand the pathophysiology of hypertension in children and the common causes of hypertension in the pediatric age group.
2. Understand the work up needed before referral to a specialist and when to refer.
Dr. Nicolas states he has nothing to disclose.
April 17th “Adoption”
Presenters: Jody Lack, MD, Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Michelle Miner, MD, Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Sheref Unal, MD, Assistant Professor of General Pediatrics
Department of Pediatrics, SIU School of Medicine
Sara Ogelsby, MSW
Madison Adoption Associates
1. Increased knowledge and awareness of adoption.
2. Understand the process of adoption.
3. Understand the physician’s role in adoption.
Drs. Lack, Miner and Unal and Ms. Ogelsby state they have nothing to disclose.
April 24th NO GRAND ROUNDS