SIU School of Medicine
Jump directly to a section:
Department of Pediatrics
- Aylward, G.P. (2003) Practitioner's Guide to the Management of Behavioral Problems in Children, New York: Plenum/Kluwer.
- Aylward, G.P. & Verhulst, S.J. (2000), Predictive utility of the Bayley Infant Neurodevelopmental Screener (BINS) risk status classifications: Interpretation and application. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, 42, 25-31.
- Aylward, G.P. (2002) Methodological issues in outcome studies of at-risk infants. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 27, 37-45.
- Aylward, G.P., Brager, P., & Harper, D.C. (2002). Relations between visual and auditory continous performance tests in a clinical population: A descriptive study. Developmental Neuropsychology, 21, 285-303.
- Aylward, G.P., (2002) Cognitive and neuropsychological outcomes: More than IQ scores. Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities Research & Reviews, 8, 234-240.
- Aylward, G.P. (2003). Cognitive function in preterm infants: No simple answers Journal of the American Medical Association, 289, 6, 752-753.
- Aylward, G.P. (2004) Prediction of function from infancy to early childhood: Implications for pediatric psychology. Journal of Pediatric Psychology,29,555-564.
- Vohr, B., Wright, L.L., Hack, M., Aylward, G.P., & Hirtz, D.(2004) Follow-up care of high risk infants (NICHD/NINDS). Pediatrics, 114, (Supp), 1377-1397.
- Kelly, D.P., & Aylward, G.P. (2005). Identifying school performance problems in the pediatric office: A practical guide. Pediatric Annals, 34, 288-298.
- Aylward, G.P. (2005). Neurodevelopmental outcomes of infants born prematurely. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, in press.
- Aylward, G.P. (2005). Commentary: The Conundrum of Prediction. Pediatrics, 116, 491- 492
- Aylward, G.P., Sunder, T., Lemmon, L., Brager, P., & Rudolph, S. (2000). A model for classification of the medical, behavioral, and functional needs of aging, developmentally disabled individuals in high-needs residential settings. Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Gatlinburg Conference: On Research and Theory in Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, 135.
- Aylward, G.P., & Macias, M.M. (2000) A neurodevelopmental prescreening questionnaire for high risk follow-up. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology Supplement No. 83, 42, 41-42.
- Harper, D., Boscan, I., Vlad, M., Sinca, A., Miresten, I., Irimie, S., & Aylward, G.P. (2000). Methemoglobinemia in rural Romania: A comprehensive public health study. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, Supplement No. 83, 42, 89.
- Aylward, G.P. & Macias, M.M. (2001) Use of a Prescreening Questionnaire in At-risk Infants. Proceedings of the 34th Annual Gatlinburg Conference, 128.
- Aylward, G.P. (2001). Concordance in infant neurodevelopmental risk status assessed at multiple points in a NICU follow-up population. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, Supp. 88, 43, 34.
- Aylward, G.P., & Aylward, B.S. (2004). Accuracy of developmental prescreening in biologically at-risk infants, Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, Supp., 26.
- Swingle, H.M., Harper, D.C., Bonthius, D., Weiner, C.P., Widness, J.A., & Aylward, G.P. (2004). Long-term neurodevelopmental follow-up and brain volumes of children following severe fetal anemia with hydrops. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, Supp, 39-40.
- Fishbein MH, Mogren J, Mogren C, Cox S, Jennings R. “ Undetected Hepatomegaly in Obese Children by Primary Care Physicians: A Pitfall in the Diagnosis of Pediatric Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Clin Pediatr. 2005; 44: 135-141.
- Fishbein MH, Cox S. Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in a Toddler: Case Report. Clin Pediatr. 2004; 43: 483-485.
- Fishbein MH, Cox S, Walbert L, Fraker C. Feeding Disorders in Children: A Little Taste. Nutrition & the M.D, 2003; 29(6):1.
- Fishbein M, Cox S, Walbert L, Fraker C. “Feeding Disorders in Children: A Little Taste”, Nutrition & the M.D. (29):6, p 1-5, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins publisher, June 2003.
- Fishbein M, Castro F, Cheruku S, Jain S, Webb B, Gleason T, Stevens W R. Hepatic MRI for Fat Quantitation: Its Relationship to Fat Morphology, Diagnosis, and Ultrasound. J of Clin Gastroenterol. 2005:39(7):619-625.
- Fishbein M, Cox S. Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in a Toddler. Clin Pediatr. 2004:3:483-485.
- Fishbein MH, Mogren J, Mogren C, Cox S, Jennings R. Undetected Hepatomegaly in Obese Children by Primary Care Physicians: A Pitfall in the Diagnosis of Pediatric NAFLD, Clin Pediatr. March 2005:44(2):135-141, M
- Fishbein MH, Miner M, Mogren C , Chalekson J. The Spectrum of Fatty Liver in Obese Children and the Relationship of Serum Aminotransferases to Severity of Steatosis. Jr of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutr, 36:54-61, January 2003.
- Fishbein MH, Stevens R. Fast Hepatic MRI: Rapid MRI Using a Modified Dixon Technique: A Non-Invasive and Effective Method for Detection and Monitoring of Fatty Metamorphosis of the Liver. Pediatr Radiol (2001) 31:806-809, Springer-Verlag 2001.
- Gobble R, Swenny C, Fishbein M. The Impact of the September 11, 2001 Terrorist Attacks and Aftermath on the Incidence of Recurrent Abdominal Pain Syndrome in Children, Clin Pediatr 2000;43:275-277.
- Klopfenstein KJ, Grossman NJ, Fishbein M, Ruymann FB. Cavernous Transformation of the Portal Vein: A Cause of Thrombocytopenia and Splenomegaly. Clin Pediatr, December 2000:39:727-730.
- Cox S, Fraker C, Walbert L, Fishbein M. Food Chaining: A Systematic Approach for the Treatment of Children with Eating Aversion. (Oral presentation), Second World Congress of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition Conference, Paris, France, July 2-8, 2004.
- Ehrlich C, Fishbein M. Recurrent Abdominal Pain Evaluation: Is There a Consensus Among Primary Care Physicians? Poster Abstract Presentation at the Second World Congress of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (WCPGHAN) Conference, Paris France, July 2-8, 2004.
- Cheruku SM, Fishbein MH. Hepatic MRI for Fat Quantitation: Its Relationship to Fat Morphology, Diagnosis and Ultrasound. (Abstract poster presentation at the Digestive Disease Week, Earnest N. Morial Convention Center, New Orleans, LA, May 15-20, 2004. Published in Gastroenterology supplement, April 2004.
- Fishbein M , Cox S. Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in a 27 month old toddler. (Clinical Vignette accepted for poster presentation at NASPGHAN Annual Meeting and Postgraduate Course, Montreal Canada, October 2-5, 2003).
- Gobble R, Swenny C, Fishbein M. The Impact of the 9/11/01 Terrorist Attacks and Aftermath on the Incidence of Recurrent Abdominal Pain Syndrome in Children, J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr, Vol 37, NO 3, September 2003.
- Fishbein MH, Miner M, Mogren C, Chalekson J. The Spectrum of Fatty Liver in Obese Children and the Relationship of Serum Aminotransferases to Severity of Steatosis. (Poster abstract presentation at Annual Meeting and Postgradutate Course of NASPGHAN (North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition). San Antonio, TX, October 24-27, 2002. (Abstract # 951065).
- Fishbein MH, Castro F, Stevens WR, Gleason T and Webb, B. Fast MRI: An Effective Non-invasive Means of Hepatic Fat Quantitation Regardless of Fat Morphology. (Poster presentation of abstract at the Annual Meeting at Digestive Disease Week, May 19-22, 2002, San Francisco, CA.
- Fishbein MH , Chalekson J, Stevens R. Fast Hepatic MRI: A Rapid Non-invasive Method to Detect and Monitor Fatty Liver. (Presented poster presentation at the Annual Meeting at Digestive Disease Week, May 20-23, 2001, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Fishbein M , Kimonis V, Kamel O, Sunder T, Wildrick D, and Karkos J B . Cytochrome Oxidase Deficiency Unmasked in a 9 y/o Child with Developmental Delay and Seizure Disorder who was Treated with Valproic Acid. (Presented poster presentation at World Congress of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Nutrition, August 5-9, 2000, Boston, MA).
- McWhinney SR, Pilarski RT, Forrester SR, Schneider MC, Sarquis MM, Dias EP, Eng C. Large germline deletions of mitochondrial complex II subunits SDHB and SDHD in hereditary paraganglioma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004 ;89(11):5694-9.
- Kaur R, Liu X, Gjoerup O, Zhang A, Yuan X, Balk SP, Schneider MC, Lu ML. Activation of p21-activated kinase 6 by MAP kinase kinase 6 and p38 MAP kinase. J Biol Chem. 2005;280(5):3323-30.
- Wilber A, O'Connor TP, Lu ML, Karimi A, Schneider MC. Dnase1l3 deficiency in lupus-prone MRL and NZB/W F1 mice. Clin Exp Imm. 2003;134(1):46-52.
- Wilber A, Lu M, Schneider MC. Deoxyribonuclease I-like III Is an Inducible Macrophage Barrier to Liposomal Transfection. Mol Ther. 2002 Jul;6(1):35-42.
- Talisetti, S Forrester, D Gregory, L Johnson , M Schneider , V Kimonis. Temtamy-like syndrome associated with translocation of 2p24 and 9q32. Clinical Dysmorphology (accepted Jan, 2003).
- Schneider MC, Hughes CR, Forrester S, Kimonis V. Mild phenotype due to tandem duplication of l7p11.2. Am J Med Genet. 2000 Oct 2;94(4):296-9.
- Lu ML, Schneider MC, Zheng Y, Zhang X, Richie JP.Caveolin-1 interacts with androgen receptor. A positive modulator of androgen receptor mediated transactivation. J Biol Chem 2001 Apr 20; 276(16):13442-51.
- Bleyer WA, cocia PF, Sather HN, Level C, NIEBRUGGE DJ, Sigel S, Littman PS, Leikin SL, Miller DR, Chard RL, Hammond GD: Reduction in CNS leukemia with a pharmacokientically derived intrathecal methotrexate dosage regimen. A report from the Children’s Cancer Study Group. J CLin Oncol (in press).
Jeri Beth Karkos
- Poster Presentation Successful Treatment of CSF Infection after Intrathecal Pump Implantation without Catheter Removal, American Academy of Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine, Toronto Canada, September 20-23, 2000.
- Poster Presentation, Cytochrome Oxidase Deficiency Unmasked in a 9-year-old child with Developmental Delay and Seizure Disorder Who was Treated with Valproic Acid, World Congress of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, Boston, Massachusetts, August 5-9, 2000.
- Downey and Darling (ed.) Physiologic Basis of Rehabilitation Medicine, “Growth and Development,” (chapter) Kerstin Sobus and Jerie Beth Karkos, Butterworth Heineman, MA , 2000.
- Lebiedowska, MK, Gaebler-Spira, D, Burns, RS, Fisk, JR: “Biomechanic 06/04 characteristics of patients with spastic and dystonic hypertonia in cerebral palsy” Archives of PhysicalMedical Rehabilitation, Vol. 85 (6): 875-880
- Woodson GE, Picerno, R, Yeung P, Hengesteg, A: “Arytenoid Adduction: Controlling Vertical Position”. Annals Otol, Laryngol 109:360-364, 2000.
- Woodson, GE: “Neurolaryngology Past, Present, and Future” in: Otolaryngology Clinics of North America, 33: 895-904, 2000
- Cannito, M.P. & Woodson, G.E.: The spasmodic dysphonias. In Kent, R. & Bal, M. (eds). The Handbook of Voice Quality Measurements. San Diego, CA: Singular, 2000.
- Woodson GE: Pathophysiology of Recurrent Laryngeal Nerve Injury. In: Randall, ed, Diseases of the Thyroid and Parathyroid (In Press)
- Woodson GE: Hoarseness. In: Conn's Current Therapy 2003.
- Sapienza, C. M., Cannito M, Murry T, Branski R, Woodson GE: Acoustic Variations in Reading Produced by Speakers with Spasmodic Dysphonia Pre-Botox Injection and Approximately One Month Post -Botox Injection. Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing Research, 2003.
- Baker, S., Sapienza, C., Margin, D., Davenport, P., Hoffman Ruddy, B., Woodson, G.E.: Inspiratory pressure threshold training for upper airway limitation: a case of bilateral abductor vocal fold paralysis. J Voice, 17: 384-394, 2003.
- Woodson GE: Rose. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. Aug:129(8):814, 2003.
- Bender BK, Cannito MP, Murry T, Woodson GE: Speech intelligibility in severe adductor spasmodic dysphonia. J Speech Lang Hear Res. Feb, 47(1):21-32, 2004
- Woodson, GE: Women in otolaryngology. Guest Editorial. Ear, Nose & Throat Journal, July 83:(7):443-444, 2004.
- Woodson, GE, Murry, T: Spasmodic dysphonia: medical, pharmacological and behavioral perspectives. Vocal Rehabilitation for Medical Speech-Language Pathology, 145-164, 2004.
- Cannito, MP, Woodson, GE: Perceptual analyses of spasmodic dysphonia before and after treatment. Archives of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery, 130: 1393-1399, 2004.
- Wingate JM, Ruddy BH, Lundy, DS, Lehman J, Casiano R, Collins, SP, Woodson GE, Sapienza C: Voice handicap index results for older adults with spasmodic dysphonia. J Voice: Mar, 19 (1):124-131, 2005.
- Woodson GE: Spasmodic dysphonia: etiology and management. In Perspectives: Voice & Voice Disorders: 15:1, March 2005. Division 3 Publication of ASHA.
- Woodson, GE, Hochstetler H, Murry T: Botulinum Toxin therapy for abductor spasmodic dysphonia. J Voice (i n press).
- Rogers DA , Regehr G, Howdieshell TR, Yeh KA, Palm E. The impact of external feedback on computer-assisted learning for surgical technical skill training. American Journal of Surgery 179:341-343, 2000.
- Rogers DA , Regehr G, Gelula M, Yeh KA, Howdieshell TR, Webb W. Peer teaching and computer-assisted learning: An effective combination for surgical skill training? Journal of Surgical Research 92:53-55, 2000.
- Rogers DA , Elstein AS , Bordage G. Improving continuing medical education for surgical techniques: Applying the lessons learned in the first decade of minimal access surgery. Annals of Surgery 233:159-166, 2001.
- Rogers DA , Regehr G, MacDonald J. A role for error training in surgical technical skill instruction and evaluation. American Journal of Surgery 183:242-245, 2002.
- Boehler ML, Schwind CJ, Dunnington G, Rogers DA , Folse R. Medical student contact with patients on a surgery clerkship: Is there a chance to learn? Journal of the American College of Surgeons 195:539-542, 2002.
- Boehler ML, Rogers DA , Schwind CJ, Williams RG, Dunnington G. Who are the surgery clerkship directors and what are their educational needs? The American Journal of Surgery 185:216-18; 2003.
- MacDonald J, Williams RG, Rogers DA . Self-assessment in simulations-based surgical skills training. The American Journal of Surgery 185:319-22, 2003.
- Schwind CJ, Boehler ML, Rogers DA , Williams RG, Dunnington G, Folse R, Markwell SJ. Variables influencing medical student learning in the operating room. The American Journal of Surgery. 187:198-200, 2004.
- Boehler ML, Rogers DA , Schwind CJ, Fortune J, Ketchum J, Dunnington G. A senior elective designed to prepare medical students for surgical residency. The American Journal of Surgery 187:695-697, 2004.
- Williams RG, Schwind CJ, Dunnington GL, Fortune F, Rogers DA , Boehler M. The effects of group dynamics on resident progress committee deliberations. Teach Learn Med 17:96-100;2005.
- Hak EB, Rogers DA , Storm MC, Helms RA. Protein and nitrogen metabolism changes following closed head injury or cardiothoracic surgery in pediatric patients. Pediatric Pharmacotherapy and Therapeutics. (In press).
- Rogers DA : Music Lessons. Focus on Surgical Education 17:3, 2000.
- Rogers DA : And The Answer Is…. Focus on Surgical Education 18:4, 2001.
- Rogers DA . Ethical and educational considerations in minimially invasive surgery training for practicing surgeons. Seminars in Laparoscopic Surgery 9:206-211, 2002.
- Rogers DA . How to develop a practical and effective American Board of Surgery In-Service Training Examination remediation program. American College of Surgeons Residency Assist Page. March 30, 2004. Bell RH and DaRosa DA (Editors). http://www.facs.org/education/rap/rogers0405.html
- Rogers DA . Addressing the new LCME accreditation Requirements for surgery clerkships: You can do it. Focus on Surgical Education 22:27-8, 2005
- Palpable bladder at birth with normal antenatal ultrasound. Society for Fetal Urology Biannual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, 4/2000.
- Hypospadias and early gestation growth restriction in infants. Pediatric Academic Societies & AAP Joint Meeting, 5/2000
- Increasing incidence and severity of hypospadias in a NICU population. New England Section of AUA, Quebec, Canada, 9/2000.
- The treatment of dysfunctional elimination decreases urinary tract infections and surgery in children with vesicoureteral reflux. New England Section of AUA, Quebec, Canada, 9/2000.
- Two year follow-up of patients treated with interactive computer games for voiding dysfunction. New England Section of AUA, Quebec, Canada, 9/2000.
- Two year follow-up of patients treated with interactive computer games for voiding dysfunction. American Academy of Pediatrics Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, 10/2000.
- The treatment of dysfunctional elimination decreases urinary tract infections and surgery in children with vesicoureteral reflux. American Academy of Pediatrics Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, 10/2000.
- Determinants of poor outcome of antenatally-detected post-urethral valves. Society for Fetal Urology Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, 10/2000.
- Antenatal stent complications: review of stent options. Society for Fetal Urology Annual Meeting, Anaheim, CA, 6/01.
- Changing concepts in the treatment of vesicoureteral reflux, urinary tract infection and incontinence. Illinois Urological Society Meeting, Rockford, IL, 9/01.
- New concepts in the treatment of pediatric incontinence. Illinois Urological Society Meeting, Utica, IL, 9/02.
- Spontaneous neonatal regression of antenatally detected renal cysts in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. Society for Fetal Urology Meeting, Boston, MA, 10/02.
- C.D.A. Herndon, P.H. McKenna. Antifungal therapy for neonatal renal fungal bezoar. Infections in Urol 2000; 13(2):39-41.
- F.A. Ferrer, P.H. McKenna. Current approaches to the undescended testicle. Contemporary Pediatrics 2000; 17(1):106-111.
- C.D.A. Herndon, F. A. Ferrer, A. Freedman, P.H. McKenna. Consensus on the prenatal management of antenatally detected urologic abnormalities. J Urol 2000; 164(2 Pt 2):1052-1056.
- F.A. Ferrer, A.G. Pantschenko, L.J. Miller, K. Anderson, M. Grunnet, P.H. McKenna, D. Kreutzer. Angiogenesis and neuroblastomas: IL-8 and IL-8 receptor expression in human neuroblastoma. J Urol 2000; 164(3):1016-1020.
- C.D.A. Herndon, P.H. McKenna. Antenatally detected proximal ureteral diverticulum. Urology 2000; 55(5): 774, 774i-774iii.
- C.D.A. Herndon, F.A. Ferrer, P.H. McKenna. Survey results concerning medical and surgical follow-up of vesicoureteral reflux patients among American Academy of Pediatrics Section of Urology members. J Urol 2001; 165(2):559-563.
- P.H. McKenna, C.D.A. Herndon. Voiding dysfunction associated with incontinence, vesicoureteral reflux and recurrent urinary tract infections. Current Opinion in Urology. 2000, 10:599-606.
- J. Moslehi, C.D. Anthony Herndon, P.H. McKenna. Posterior urethral valves presented at birth despite normal prenatal ultrasounds. Urology. 2001, 57(6):1178.
- C.D. Anthony Herndon, Marvalyn DeCambre, P.H. McKenna. Changing concepts concerning the management of vesicoureteral reflux. J Urol 2001: 166:1439-1443.
- Deborah M. Feldman, Marvalyn DeCambre, Erin Kong, Adam Borgida, Mujgan Jamil, P.H. McKenna and James F.X. Egan. Evaluation and follow-up of fetal hydronephrosis. J Ultrasound in Medicine. 2001, 20(1): 1065-1069.
- C.D.A. Herndon, M. DeCambre and P.H. McKenna: Interactive computer games for treatment of pelvic floor dysfunction. J Urol 2001; 166(5): 1893-1898.
- Hussain, C.D.A. Herndon, A. Chaghtai, T.S. Rosenkrantz, P.H. McKenna Hypospadias and early gestation growth in infants. Pediatrics. 2002, 109(3):473-478.
- P. H. McKenna: The role of biofeedback in the treatment of constipation. Dialogues in Pediatrc Urology, November 2002, 25(11): 6-7.
- L. Hammond and P.H. McKenna: Spontaneous neonatal regression of antenatally detected renal cysts in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. Society for Fetal Urology Newsletter. 2003, 10(1):3.
- P.H. McKenna and C.M. Whelan: Dysfunctional voiding as a co-factor of recurrent UTI. Contemporary Urology, 2004, 16(3), 58-73.
- P.H. McKenna and L. S. McKenna: Modern Management of Non-Neurologic Pediatric Incontinence, Journal of Wound Ostomy and Continence Nursing, submitted March 2004.
- S. Bauer, P.H. McKenna. Should childhood enuresis be treated with physical therapy rather than medication? Pediatric News, International Medical News Group, 9/00.
- The unkindest cut. The Hartford Advocate, 04/30/01: New Mass. Media, Inc., 04/01.
- SIU to study two-way TV use in rural medicine. The State Journal Register, 03/19/02: Copley Press, 03/02.
- Internet aids urotherapy patients in remote locations. Urology Times, March 2003, Vol. 31, No. 3. ADVANSTAR Communications.
- Urologic telemedicine grant, an extension of successful continence program for children. The Cutting Edge, SIU School of Medicine, Department of Surgery, April 2003, Vol. 3, No. 2.
- Gaining control. The State Journal-Register, 04/21/03: Copley Press, 04/03.
Pediatric & Fetal Cardiology
- Early Outcome after Glenn and Fontan Palliation and the Impact of Surgery During Viral Respiratory Season: Analysis of a 19 Year Multi-Institutional Experience. Ramzi Nicolas, MD, Christine Hills, BA, James Moller, MD, Charles Huddleston, MD, Mark Johnson, MD. Data presented in the Pediatric Cardiac Care Consortium (PCCC) meeting April 11, 2003. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2005;79:613-617.
- Myocardial Function in Pediatric Patients Pre and Post Atrial Septal Defect Closure: A Tissue Doppler Imaging Study. Ramzi Nicolas, MD, Ryan Coleman, Mark Johnson, MD, Angela Sharkey, MD. Data presented as a poster at the “Cardiology 2004” meeting in Orlando.
- Myocardial Dysfunction Assessed by Tissue Doppler Imaging in Pediatric Patients Following Surgical Closure of Ventricular Septal Defect. Does It Correlate with Different Intraoperative and Postoperative Conditions? Ramzi Nicolas, MD, Ryan Coleman, Mark Johnson, MD, Angela Sharkey, MD. Data presented as a poster at the “Cardiology 2004” meeting in Orlando.
- Recipient and Donor Age Affect the Development of Coronary Arteriopathy After Pediatric Cardiac Transplantation: An Intravascular Ultrasound Study . Ramzi T Nicolas, MD, Henry W Kort, MD, David T Balzer, MD, Kathryn Trinkaus, Washington University, Saint Louis, MO; Catherine L Dent, MD, Russel Hirsch, MD, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH; Charles E Canter, MD, Washington University, Saint Louis, MO. Abstract presented as an oral presentation at the AHA meeting November, 2004.
Critical Care Specialists
- Journal Review: Prehospital hypertonic saline resuscitation of patients with hypotension and severe traumatic brain injury: a randomized controlled trial. Cooper JD, Myles et al. JAMA 2004 Mar 17, 291(11): 1350-7. PEDS SCCM EVIDENCE BASED JOURNAL CLUB; 2004
- Schuchat A, Zywicki SS, Dinsmoor MJ, Mercer B, Romaguera J, O’Sullivan MJ, Patel D, Peters MT, Stoll B, Levine OS, and the Prevention of Early-onset Neonatal Sepsis Study Group: Risk Factors and Opportunities for Prevention of Early-onset Neonatal Sepsis: A Multicenter Case-Control Study. Pediatrics 105(1):21-26,2000.
- Renaegar KB, Floyd RA, Krueger JM Crouse DT: Progression of influenza viral infection through the murine respiratory tract: The protective role of sleep deprivation Sleep 2000 Nov 1;23(7):859-63
- Livingston J, Haddad B, Barton J, Park V, Crouse D, Brown K, Quasney M, Sibai B Neither polymorphisms in the tumor necrosis factor alpha gene nor plasma levels are associated with complications of prematurity. J Perinatology, submitted June 2000.
- Talati AJ, Crouse DT, English RK, Newman C, Harrison L, Meals E: Immunomodulation by exogenous surfactant: effect on TNF-a secretion and luminol-enhanced chemiluminescence activity by murine macrophages stimulated with group B streptococci. Microbes and Infection 3, 2001, 267-273.
- Buckingham, SC, Crouse D, Patrick, CC: Pneumonitis putatively caused by ureaplasma urealyticum in pediatric oncology patients. Clin Infect Dis 2003 Jan 15;36(2):225-8.
- Kellar KL, Kalwar RR, Dubois KA, Crouse D, Chafin WD, Kane BE: Multiplexed Fluorescent Bead-Based Immunoassays for Quantitation of Human Cytokines in Serum and Culture Supernatants. Cytometry 45:27-36, 2001.
- Benstein BD, Ourth DD, Crouse DT, Shanklin DR: Ureaplasma in Lung 1: Localization by insitu hybridization in a mouse model. Exp Mol Pathol Oct 75(2):165-70, 2003.
- Benstein BD, Ourth DD, Crouse DT, Shanklin DR: Ureaplasma in Lung 2: Association with Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia in Premature Newborns. Exp Mol Pathol Oct 75(2):171-177, 2003.
- Benstein BD, Crouse DT, Shanklin DR, Ourth DD: Ureaplasma urealyticum binds mannose binding lectin. Exp Mol Pathol. 2004 Oct;77(2):138-44.
- Kellar KL, Kalwar RR, Dubois KA, Crouse D, Chafin WD, and Kane BE: Multiplexed Fluorescent Bead-Based Immunoassays for Quantitation of Human Cytokines in Serum and Culture Supernatants, Cytometry 45:27-36, 2001.
- Benstein, B, Crouse, D: Identification of Ureaplasma urealyticum in Lung Tissue of Neonates by in Situ Hybridization, poster presentation, 102 nd General Meeting of the American Society for microbiology, Salt Lake City, Utah, May 19-23, 2002.
- Crouse DT, Huffman DG Tocolytics: What are we doing and why?: Downstate Update, A Publication of the Perinatal Center of Central Illinois, Springfield, Illinois. Spring/Summer 2000.
- Horbar JD, Badger GJ, Carpenter JH, St. John’s Hospital Neonatal Intensive Care Unit data: “Trends in Mortality and Morbidity for Very Low Birth Weight Infants, 1991-1999. Pediatrics vol 110(1)July 2002.
- Shoukih T, Wilson J, O’Donnell J, English BK, Crouse D, Zhang Q, Quasney MW: Febrile bacteremic children have higher serum levels of TNF-a and IL-6 than febrile nonbacteremic children. Pediatric Emergency Care, submitted July 2000.
- Crouse, DT: Reducing the incidence of Group B (beta) hemolytic streptococci. Downstate Update, A publication of the Perinatal Center of Central Illinois, Springfield, Illinois. Winter/Spring 2000.
- Crouse DT: Revised guidelines for preventing GBS, Downstate Update, A publication of the Perinatal Center of Central Illinois, Springfield, Illinois. Spring 2003
- 1995 Sherman MP, Truog WE. Sepsis and pentoxifylline therapy: From newborn to adult, p. 267-282. In: Novel Strategies in the Treatment of Sepsis, Morrison DC and Ryan JL (Eds.), Marcel Dekker, New York.
- 1997 Sherman MP. Macrophage function in bacterial and fungal infections of newborns, p.409-436. In: Lung macrophages and dendritic cells. Lipscomb MF and Russell SW (Eds.), Marcel-Dekker, New York.
- 2000 Sherman MP, Truog WE. The role of pulmonary macrophages in chronic lung disease of early infancy, Vol. 137 pp. 813-839. In: Claude Lenfant (Exec. Ed.) and Bland RD and Coalson JJ (Eds.). Lung Biology in Health and Disease Series (NIH), Marcel Dekker, New York.
- 2001 Sherman MP. Nutritional Care for High-Risk Newborns: revised 3rd ed, edited by Groh Wargo S, Thompson M, Hovasi Cox J, and Hartline JV (consulting editor), 2000, Precept Press, Inc, Chicago. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 74: 560 (Book Review).
- An Enzymatic Method to Detect Nitrate in Body Fluids . Gilliam MB, Sherman MP, Griscavage JM, Ignarro LJ. A spectrophotometric assay for nitrate using NADPH oxidation by Aspergillus nitrate reductase. Analytical Biochemistry 212:359-365, 2003.
- 2000 Honold J, Pusser NL, Nathan L, Chaudhuri G, Ignarro LJ *, Sherman MP. Production and excretion of nitrate by human newborn infants: Neonates are not little adults. NITRIC OXIDE. Biology and Chemistry 4:35-46.
- 2000 Moon AJ, Katzberg RW, Sherman MP. Transplacental passage of iohexol. Journal of Pediatrics 136:548-549.
- 2000 Leslie KK, Lee SL, Woodcock SM, Davies JK, McDuffie RS, Jr, Hirsch E, Sherman MP, Eskens JL, Gibbs RS. Acute intrauterine infection results in an imbalance between pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines in the pregnant rabbit. American Journal of Reproductive Immunology 43:305-311.
- 2000 Crapo JD, Harmsen AG, Sherman MP, Musson RA. Pulmonary Immunobiology and Inflammation in Pulmonary Diseases. A NHLBI Workshop Summary. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 162:1983-1986.
- 2000 Sherman MP. Human milk, fatty acids and the immune response: a new glimpse. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 72:1071-1072.
- 2001 Edde L, Hipolito RB, Hwang FFY, Headon DR, Shalwitz RA, Sherman MP. Lactoferrin protects neonatal rats from gut-related systemic infection. American Journal of Physiology Gastroenterology and Liver Physiology 281:G1140-G1150.
- 2001 McDuffie RS Jr, Leslie KK, Sherman MP, Gibbs RS. A randomized controlled trial of interleukin-1 receptor antagonist in a rabbit model of ascending infection in pregnancy. Infectious Diseases in Obstetrics and Gynecology 9:233-237.
- 2002 Gibbs RS, Davies JK, McDuffie RS, Jr., Leslie KK, Sherman MP, Centretto CA, Wolf DM. Chronic intrauterine infection and inflammation in the preterm rabbit despite antibiotic therapy. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 186:234-239.
- 2002 Sherman J, Young A, Sherman MP, Collazo C, Bernert JT. Prenatal smoking and alterations in newborn heart rate. Journal of Obstetric and Gynecologic and Neonatal Nursing 31:680-687.
- 2002 McDuffie RS Jr, Kunze M, Barr J, Wolf D, Sze C, Shikes R, Sherman M, Gibbs RS. Chronic intrauterine and fetal infection with Gardnerella vaginalis. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 187:1263-1266.
- 2003 Bengtsson B-O S, Wootton-Gorges SL, Poulain FR, Sherman MP. Urinary effects of morphine in preterm infants. Acta Paediatrica 92:251-253.
- 2003 Gilbert WM, Fadjo DE, Bills DJ, Morrison FK, Sherman MP. Teaching malpractice litigation in a mock trial setting: a center for perinatal medicine and law. Obstetrics & Gynecology 101:589-593.
- 2004 Gibbs RS, McDuffie RS Jr, Kunze M, Barr J, Wolf D, Sze C-I, Shikes R, Sherman MP. Experimental intrauterine infection with Prevotella bivia in New Zealand white rabbits. American Journal ofObstetrics & Gynecology 190:1082-1086.
- 2004 Sherman MP, Bennett SH, Hwang FFY, Yu C. Effect of lactoferrin and lactobacillus prophylaxis on small bowel infection by Escherichia coli in newborn rats. Biometals 17:285-289.
- 2005 Underwood MA, Gilbert WM, Sherman MP. Amniotic Fluid: Not Fetal Urine Anymore. Journal of Perinatology 25:341-348.
- 2005 Sherman MP, Petrak K. Lactoferrin-enhanced Anoikis: A Defense against
Neonatal Necrotizing Enterocolitis. Medical Hypotheses 65:478-482.
- 2005 Sherman MP, Bennett SH, Hwang FFY, Sherman J, Bevins CL. Paneth Cells and Antibacterial Host Defense in Neonatal Small Intestine. Infection and Immunity, September 2005 issue.
- 2005 Hipolito RB, Milstein JM, Sherman J, Sherman MP. Neonatal Endotracheal Tubes and Prevention of Bronchial Intubation. Archives of Diseases of Childhood.
- 2005 Underwood MA, Milstein JM, Sherman MP. Near Infrared Spectroscopy to Assess Patency of the Ductus Arteriosus in Extremely Preterm Infants. The Lancet.
- 2005 Bengtsson B-O S, Milstein JM, Sherman MP. Indomethacin-induced Neutropenia with Subsequent Gram-Negative Sepsis in a Preterm Infant. Cause or coincidence? Journal of Perinatology.
Allergy and Immunology
- Lehman JM, Lieberman PL. Office based management of allergic rhinitis. American Journal of Medicine. 2007; 120: 659-663.
- Lehman JM, Blaiss MS. Selecting the optimal oral H1 antihistamine for patients with allergic rhinitis. Dtrugs. 2006; 117: S278.
- Lehman JM, Streck MR, Tyagi AS, Lew DB. 2006. Immunoregulatory Effects of Saccharomyces (S.) cerevisiae Mannan via Th2/Th3 Polarization in mice. Journal of Allergy Organization. 2005; Supplement 1: 180.
- Overbeck T, Michael C, Robinson WS, Gandhi R, Waikart L, Lehman J, Smith J, Lew DB. Mannan from Saccharomyces (S.) cerevisiae inhibits ovalbumin-induced allergic asthma in mice. Journal of the World Allergy Organization. 2005; Supplement 1: 180.
- Pranzatelli MR, Stumpf DA. The metabolic consequences of experimental intracranial hemorrhage. Neurology 35:1299-1303, 1985.
- Pranzatelli MR, Rubin G, Snodgrass SR. Serotonin-lesion myoclonic syndromes. I. Neurochemical profile and S1 receptor binding. Brain Research 364:57-66, 1986.
- Pranzatelli MR, Snodgrass SR. Serotonin-lesion myoclonic syndromes. II. Analysis of individual syndrome elements, locomotor activity, and behavioral correlations. Brain Research 364:67-76, 1986.
- Pranzatelli MR, Snodgrass SR. Antimyoclonic properties of S-2 serotonin receptor antagonists in the rat. Neuropharmacology 25:5-12, 1986.
- Pranzatelli MR, Snodgrass SR. Enhanced selective 5-HT depletions in the DHT rat model:
Denervation supersensitivity and recovery of function. Psychopharmacology 89:449-455, 1986.
- Pranzatelli MR, Snodgrass SR. Motor habituation in the DHT model: Bin analysis of daytime and nocturnal locomotor activity. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior 24:1679-1686, 1986.
- Pranzatelli MR, Gantner C, Snodgrass SR. 3-Acetylpyridine lesions and four serotonergic
behavioral syndromes in the rat. Brain Research Bulletin 18:159-163, 1987.
- Pranzatelli MR, Schultz L, Snodgrass SR. High-dose clonidine motor syndrome: Relationship to serotonin syndrome. Behavioral Brain Research 24:221-232, 1987.
- Pranzatelli MR, Snodgrass SR. Harmala alkaloids and related B-carbolines: A myoclonic model and antimyoclonic drugs. Experimental Neurology 96:703-719, 1987.
- Pranzatelli MR, Jappay E, Snodgrass SR. Effects of 5-HT receptor subtype-selective drugs on locomotor activity and motor habituation in the DHT adult rat model. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior 27:497-504,1987.
- Pranzatelli MR, Snodgrass SR. The guinea pig myoclonic model: Behavioral supersensitivity to 5-hydroxytryptophan induced by intracisternal 5,7-dihydroxytryptamine. European Journal of Pharmacology 143:237-242, 1987.
- Pranzatelli MR. The comparative pharmacology of the behavioral syndromes induced by TRH and by 5-HT in the rat. General Pharmacology 19:205-211, 1988.
- Pranzatelli MR, Dailey A, Markush S. The regulation of TRH and serotonin receptors: Chronic TRH and analog administration in the rat. Journal of Receptor Research 8:667-681, 1988.
- Pranzatelli MR. Effect of chronic treatment with 5-hydroxytryptophan on cortical serotonin
receptors in the rat. Clinical Neuropharmacology 11:257-262, 1988.
- Pranzatelli MR. Effect of antiepileptic and antimyoclonic drugs on serotonin receptors in vitro. Epilepsia 29:412-419, 1988.
- Pranzatelli MR. In vivo and in vitro effects of adrenocorticotrophic hormone on serotonin receptors in neonatal rat brain. Developmental Pharmacology and Therapeutics 12:49-56, 1989.
- Pranzatelli MR, Eng B. Chronic ACTH treatment: Influence on 5-HT2 receptors and behavioral supersensitivity induced by 5,7-dihydroxytryptamine lesions. Peptides 10:5-8, 1989.
- Pranzatelli MR. Benzodiazepine-induced shaking behavior in the rat: Structure-activity and relation to serotonin and benzodiazepine receptors. Experimental Neurology 104:241-250, 1989.
- Pranzatelli MR, Dollison AM, Hlibczuk V. Intracisternal 5,7-dihydroxytryptamine lesions in neonatal and adult rats: Comparison of response to 5-hydroxytryptophan. Developmental Neuroscience 11:205-211, 1989.
- Chiriboga CA, Pranzatelli MR, De Vivo DC. Chronic ACTH treatment increases striatal dopamine D-2 receptor binding in developing rat brain. Brain Dev 11:197-200, 1989.
- Pranzatelli MR, Huang Y, Dollison AM, Stanley M. Brainstem serotonergic hyperinnervation modifies behavioral supersensitivity to 5-hydroxytryptophan in the rat. Developmental Brain Research 50:89-99, 1989.
- Pranzatelli MR, Balletti J. Identification of 5-HT1A recognition sites in human ganglioneuroblastoma. European Journal of Pharmacology 170:127-128, 1989.
- Butler PD, Pranzatelli MR, Barkai AL. Regional central serotonin-2 receptor binding and
phosphoinositide turnover in rats with 5,7-dihydroxytryptamine lesions. Brain Research Bulletin 24:125-129,1990.
- Pranzatelli MR. Evidence for involvement of 5-HT2 and 5-HT1C receptors in the behavioral effects of the 5-HT agonist 1 -(2,5-dimethoxy-4-iodophenylaminopropane (DOI). Neuroscience Letters 115:74-80, 1990.
- Pranzatelli MR, Dollison AM, Huang Y-y. The functional significance of neonatal 5,7-
dihydroxytryptamine lesions in the rats: Response to selective 5-HT1A and 5-HT 2,1C agonists. Brain Research Bulletin 24:747-753, 1990.
- Pranzatelli MR. Antimyoclonic effect of MK-801: A possible role for NMDA receptors in
developmental myoclonus of the neonatal rat. Clinical Neuropharmacology 13. 329-338, 1990.
- Pranzatelli MR. Neonatal 5,7-DHT lesions upregulate [3H]mesulergine-labelled spinal 5-HT1C binding sites in the rat. Brain Research Bulletin 25:151-153, 1990.
- Pranzatelli MR. The regulation of 5-HT2 receptors in rat frontal cortex: Studies with a putative selective agonist and an antagonist. Biochemical Pharmacology 42:1099-1105, 1991.
- Pranzatelli MR, Pluchino RS. The relation of central 5-HT1A and 5-HT2 receptors: Low dose agonist-induced selective tolerance in the rat. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior 39:407-413, 1991.
- Pranzatelli MR, Dailey A, Levy M, Dollison A. Absence of tolerance to the excitatory effects of benzodiazepines: Clonazepam-evoked shaking behavior in the rat. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior 39:1021-1024,1991.
- Pranzatelli MR. Regional central serotonin receptor binding in rats treated chronically with high-dose 5-hydroxy-L-tryptophan. Experimental Brain Research 87:340-344, 1991.
- Pranzatelli MR, Balletti J. Characterization of 5-hydroxytryptamine1A -like binding sites in human ganglioneuroblastoma. Neuroscience Letters 132:117-120, 1991.
- Pranzatelli MR, Albin RL, Cohen BH. Acute dyskinesias in young asthmatics on theophylline. Pediatric Neurology 7(3):216-219, 1991.
- Pranzatelli MR, Pavlakis SG, Gould RJ, De Vivo DC. Hypothalamic-midbrain dysregulation
syndrome: Hypertension, hyperthermia, hyperventilation, and decerebration. Journal of Child Neurology 6(2):115-122,1991.
- Pranzatelli MR, Tkach K. Regional glycine receptor binding in the p,p'-DDT myoclonic rat model. Archives of Toxicology 66:73-76, 1992.
- Pranzatelli MR, Balletti J. Serotonin receptors in human neuroblastoma: A possible biologic tumor marker. Experimental Neurology 115:423-427, 1992.
- Pranzatelli MR, Murthy JN Pluchino RS. Identification of spinal 5-HT1C binding sites in the rat: characterization of [3H]mesulergine binding. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics 261:161-165, 1992.
- Murthy JN, Pranzatelli MR. Brainstem 5-hydroxytryptamine1A binding sites are not down-regulated by agonists which induce tolerance in the rat. Journal of Receptor Research 12:287-297, 1992.
- Heyes MP, Saito K, Crowley JS, Davis LE, Demitrack MA, Der M, Dilling LA, Elia J, Kruesi MJP, Lackner A, Larsen SA, Lee K, Leonard HL, Markey SP, Martin A, Milstein S, Mouradian MM, Pranzatelli MR, Quearry BJ, Salazar A, Smith M, Straus SE, Sunderland T, Swede SE, Tourtellotte WW. Quinolinic acid and kynurenine pathway metabolism in inflammatory and non-inflammatory neurologic disease. Brain 115:1249-1273, 1992.
- Trifiletti R, Pranzatelli MR. ACTH binds to [3H]MK-801-labelled rat hippocampal NMDA receptors. European Journal of Pharmacology 226:377-379, 1992.
- Pranzatelli MR, Martens JN. Plasticity and ontogeny of the central 5-HT transporter: effect of neonatal 5,7-dihydroxytryptamine lesions in the rat. Developmental Brain Research 70:191-195, 1992.
- Pranzatelli MR. Serotonin receptor ontogeny: effects of agonists in one day old rats. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior 43:1273-1277, 1992.
- Pranzatelli MR, Murthy JN, Tailor PT. Novel regulation of 5-hydroxytryptamine1C receptors: down-regulation induced both by 5-HT1C agonists and antagonists. European Journal of Pharmacology 244:1-5, 1993.
- Pranzatelli MR. Regional differences in the ontogeny of 5-hydroxytryptamine1C binding sites in rat brain and spinal cord. Neuroscience Letters 149:9-11, 1993.
- Pranzatelli MR, Tailor PT, Razi P. Brainstem serotonin receptors in the guinea pig: implications for myoclonus. Neuropharmacology 32:209-215, 1993.
- Pranzatelli MR, Gregory CM. High and low affinity 5-HT2 and 5-HT1C binding sites: responses to neonatal 5,7-DHT lesions in rat brain. Cytobios 75:197-209, 1993.
- Toro C, Pascual-Leone A, Deuschl G, Tate E, Pranzatelli MR, Hallett M. Cortical tremor, a
common manifestation of cortical myoclonus. Neurology 43:2346-2352, 1993.
- Pranzatelli MR, Kao PC, Tate ED, Chaves E, Chez M, Dobyns WE, Kang H, Rothner DA.
Autoantibodies to ACTH in opsoclonus-myoclonus. Neuropediatrics 24:131-133, 1993.
- Pranzatelli MR, Tailor PT, Pluchino R, Gonzales W, Simmens S. DDT myoclonic/epileptic model: serotonin receptor binding and behavioral studies in the rat. Neurotoxicology 15(2):261-272, 1994.
- Pranzatelli MR. Dissociation of the plasticity of 5-HT1A sites and 5-HT transporter sites.
Neurochemistry Research 19:311-315, 1994.
- Pranzatelli MR, Durkin MM, Barkai AI. Quantitative autoradiography of 5-hydroxy- tryptamine binding sites in rats with neonatal 5,7-dihydroxytryptamine lesions. Developmental Brain Research 80:1-6, 1994.
- Pranzatelli MR, Razi P. Drug-induced regulation of [125I]iodocyanopindolol-labelled
5-hydroxytryptamine1B receptors in the central nervous system. Neuropsychopharmacology 10:259-264,1994.
- Pranzatelli MR, Galvan I. Ontogeny of [125I]iodocyanopindolol-labelled 5-hydroxytryptamine1B binding sites in the rat CNS. Neuroscience Letters 149:9-11, 1994.
- Pranzatelli MR, Tailor PT. Modulation of brainstem 5-HT1C receptors by serotonergic drugs in the rat. General Pharmacology 25:1279-1284, 1994.
- Pranzatelli MR, Mott S, Pavlakis S, Conry J, Tate E. The clinical spectrum of secondary
parkinsonism in childhood: A reversible disorder. Pediatric Neurology 10:131-140, 1994.
- Pranzatelli MR, Tate E, Baldwin M. Clinical responses to 5-hydroxy-L-tryptophan in chronic pediatric opsoclonus-myoclonus suggest biochemical heterogeneity: a double-blinded placebo crossover pilot study. Clinical Neuropharmacology 17:103-116, 1994.
- Pranzatelli MR, Huang Y-y, Tate E, Stanley M, Noetzel MJ, Gospe SM, Banasiak K. Cerebrospinal fluid 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid and homovanillic acid in the pediatric opsoclonus-myoclonus syndrome. Annals of Neurology 37:189-197, 1995.
- Papero PH, Pranzatelli MR, Margolis CJ, Tate E, Glass P. Neurobehavioral and psychosocial functioning of children with opsoclonus-myoclonus syndrome. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 37:915-932, 1995.
- Pranzatelli MR, Tate E, Huang Y, Haas R, Bodensteiner J, Ashwal S, Franz D. The
neuropharmacology of progressive myoclonus epilepsy: response to 5-hydroxy-L-tryptophan.
Epilepsia 36:783-791, 1995.
- Mott SH, Packer RJ, Vezina LG, Kapur S, Dinndorf PA, Conry JA, Pranzatelli MR, Quinones RR. Encephalopathy with parkinsonian features in children following bone marrow transplantations treated with high dose amphotericin B. Annals of Neurology 37:810-814, 1995.
- Tate E, Ho H, Kim A, Pranzatelli MR. A sensitive and quantitative pediatric myoclonus evaluation scale. Journal of Neuroscience Nursing 27:287-292, 1995.
- Pranzatelli MR, Galvan I, Tailor PT. Human brainstem serotonin receptors: characterization and implications for subcortical myoclonus. Clinical Neuropharmacology 19(6):507-514, 1996.
- Pranzatelli MR, Durkin MM, Farmer M. Quantitative autoradiography of 5-hydroxytryptamine1B binding sites in rats with neonatal 5,7-dihydroxytryptamine lesions. International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience 14:621-629, 1996.
- Pranzatelli MR, Tate E, Wheeler A. A controlled trial of 5-hydroxy-L-tryptophan for ataxia in progressive myoclonus epilepsy. Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery 98(2):161-164, 1996.
- Connolly AM, Pestronk A, Shobhna M, Pranzatelli MR, Noetzel MJ. Serum autoantibodies in childhood opsoclonus-myoclonus syndrome: an analysis of antigenic targets in neural tissues. Journal of Pediatrics 130:878-884, 1997.
- Lafreniere RG, Rochefort DL, Chretien N, Rommens JM, Cochius JL, Kalviainen R, Nousiainen U, Patry G, Farrell K, Soderfeldt B, Federico A, Hale BR, Cossio OH, Sorensen T, Pouliot MA, Kmiec T, Uldall P, Janszky J, Pranzatelli MR, Andermann F, Andermann E, Rouleau GA. Unstable insertion in the 5’ flanking region of the cystatin B gene is the most common mutation in progressive myoclonus epilepsy type 1, EPM1. Nature Genetics 15:298-302,1997.
- Bespalova IN, Adkins S, Pranzatelli M, Burmeister M. Novel cystatin B mutation and diagnostic PCR assay in Unverricht-Lündborg (Baltic) progressive myoclonus epilepsy patient. American Journal of Medical Genetics (Neuropsychiatric Genetics) 74(5):467-471, 1997.
- Bespalova IN, Pranzatelli M, Burmeister M. G to C transversion at a splice acceptor site causes exon skipping in the cystatin B gene. Mutation Research Genomics 382:67-74, 1997.
- Pranzatelli MR, Hanin I, Tate E, Kindel G, Bergin A, Brown CM, Habersang P, Habersang R, Mack KJ, Rosenbaum B, Selby KA. Cerebrospinal fluid free choline in movement disorders of pediatric onset. European Journal of Pediatric Neurology 1:33-39, 1998.
- Pranzatelli MR, Huang Y, Tate E, Goldstein DS, Holmes C, Davies H, Kinast M, Lange BM, Schub HS, Shevell MI, Stanford RE. Effect of high dose corticotropin on cerebrospinal
fluid monoaminergic neurotransmitters or metabolites in corticotropin-responsive pediatric opsoclonus-myoclonus. Movement Disorders 13:522-528, 1998.
- Pranzatelli MR, Tate ED. Chloral hydrate for progressive myoclonus epilepsy: A new look at an old drug. Pediatric Neurology 25:385-389, 2001.
- Pranzatelli MR, Tate ED, Galvan I, Wheeler A. Controlled pilot study of piracetam for pediatric opsoclonus-myoclonus. Clinical Neuropharmacology 24:352-357, 2001.
- Pranzatelli MR, Tate ED, Kinsbourne M, Caviness VS, Mishrah B. Forty-one year follow-up of childhood-onset opsoclonus-myoclonus: cerebellar atrophy, multiphasic relapses, response to IVIG. Movement Disorders 17(6):1387-1390, 2002.
- Pranzatelli MR, Tate ED, Wheeler A, Bass N, Gold AP, Griebel ML, Gumbinas M, Heydemann PT, Holt PJ, Jacob P, Kotagal S, Minarcik CJ, Schub HS. Screening for autoantibodies in children with opsoclonus-myoclonus-ataxia. Pediatric Neurology 27(5):384-387, 2002.
- Pranzatelli MR, Travelstead AL, Tate ED, Allison TJ, Moticka EJ, Franz DN, Nigro MA, Parke JT, Stumpf DA, Verhulst SJ. B- and T-cell markers in opsoclonus-myoclonus syndrome: immunophenotyping of CSF lymphocytes. Neurology 62(9):1526-1532, 2004.
- Pranzatelli MR, Travelstead AL, Tate ED, Allison TJ, Verhulst SJ. CSF B-cell expansion in opsoclonus-myoclonus syndrome: a biomarker of disease activity. Movement Disorders 19(7):770-777, 2004.
- Pranzatelli MR, Travelstead AL, Tate ED, Allison TJ, Lee ND, Fisher J, Jasty R. Immunophenotype of blood lymphocytes in neuroblastoma-associated opsoclonus-myoclonus. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology 26(11):718-723, 2004.
- Pranzatelli MR, Hyland K, Tate ED, Arnold LA, Allison TJ, Soori GS. Evidence of cellular immune activation in children with opsoclonus-myoclonus: cerebrospinal fluid neopterin. Journal of Child Neurology 19:919-924, 2004.
- Pranzatelli MR, Tate ED, Travelstead AL, Longee D. Immunologic and clinical response to rituximab in a child with opsoclonus-myoclonus syndrome. Pediatrics 115(1):e115-e119, 2005.
- Tate ED, Allison TJ, Pranzatelli MR, Verhulst SJ. Neuroepidemiologic trends in 105 U.S. cases of pediatric opsoclonus-myoclonus. Journal of Pediatric Oncology Nursing 22(1):8-19, 2005.
- Pranzatelli MR, Chun KY, Moxness M, Tate ED, Allison TJ. Cerebrospinal fluid ACTH and cortisol in opsoclonus-myoclonus: effect of therapy. Pediatric Neurology, in press.
- Pranzatelli MR, Tate ED, Dukart WS, Flint MJ, Hoffman MT, Oksa AE. Sleep disturbance and rage attacks in opsoclonus-myoclonus syndrome: response to trazodone. Journal of Pediatrics, in press.