SCOPE - Call for entries
Express your spirit by entering your original work of poetry, short prose or two-dimensional artwork. Entries are open to persons affiliated with SIU School of Medicine. Entries need not be related to medicine.
All prose and poetry entries must be emailed as an attachment along with the entry form to email@example.com. Art entries are to be submitted to the SIU Department of Medical Humanities in Springfield or to Kathleen Jones in Carbondale. See addresses below. All entries must be received by 5:00 p.m. January 7, 2015. No extensions. Entries are limited to persons affiliated with SIU School of Medicine and their immediate family members.
Judging will take place in February 2015. The magazine will be published in April 2015 and will include the top three winners in the following categories: visual art, poetry and prose, as well as dozens of other choices per the discretion of the judges. Entries will be judged on artistic and literary merit. Monetary prizes will be awarded in the top three places for each category: artwork, poetry and prose. A People’s Choice Award for visual art will be announced in May, based on voting by the SIU School of Medicine community during the SCOPE art exhibit.
The SCOPE reading and reception will be held in April at SIU School of Medicine. Come hear works of poetry, prose and see the artwork as the School of Medicine community shares its spirit.
Guidelines for Submission
- You may submit a maximum of five (5) entries per each category of poetry, prose and artwork.
- Each entry must include an entry form or it will not be accepted. Download Entry Form
(The entry form is a fillable pdf file. Save it to your computer and then complete a version for each of your entries. Save each with a new name and attach them to your email submission.) Reader users must have Reader 8 or later. Download Adobe Reader
- All work must be original work by the author listed, unless noted.
- You MUST submit an electronic version of your work, a .doc, .docx, or .txt file.
- Poetry/prose may be submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org - E-mails must include attached entry form(s) and the attached electronic file(s) of submissions.
- Works should be in 10-12 pt. Times New Roman, Helvetica or Arial font. – No graphics.
- Word Limit: 1,800 words
- You MUST submit a framed hard copy of the artwork to be judged
to one of the addresses listed on the right side of this page.
- Digital files will NOT be accepted.
- Please remember that the entries will be judged on content and presentation.
- Artwork will be displayed at SIU School of Medicine during the SCOPE art exhibit in April.
Artwork will be held for exhibiting until May 2015. Entries must be claimed by July 1, 2015.
- Artwork must be in condition suitable for exhibition, framed, and ready to hang. SIU School of Medicine will make every effort to ensure the safety of your work but will not be responsible for fragile pieces. Please make sure that your piece is secure and has wires or finishing nails for hanging.
- If you are unable to pick up your artwork from Springfield or Carbondale and would like your artwork returned, please supply return shipping label.
Questions? Email email@example.com
Deliver or mail entries to one of these locations
Department of Medical Humanities
SIU School of Medicine
913 N. Rutledge St. Room 1116
P.O. Box 19603
Springfield, IL 62794-9603
ATTN: Kathleen Jones
SIU School of Medicine
Carbondale, IL 62901