SCOPE - Call for entries
Express your spirit by entering your original work of poetry, short prose or two-dimensional artwork. Entries are open to persons affiliated with SIU School of Medicine. Entries need not be related to medicine.
All prose and poetry entries must be uploaded with entry form OR emailed as an attachment along with the entry form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Art entries are to be submitted to SIU's Office of Public Affairs in Springfield or to Kathleen Jones in Carbondale. See addresses below. All entries must be received by 5:00 p.m. January 5, 2017. No extensions. Entries are limited to persons affiliated with SIU School of Medicine and their immediate family members.
Judging will take place in February 2017. The magazine will be published in April 2017 and will include the top three winners in the following categories: visual art, poetry and prose, as well as dozens of other choices per the discretion of the judges. Entries will be judged on artistic and literary merit. Monetary prizes will be awarded in the top three places for each category: artwork, poetry and prose. A People’s Choice Award for visual art will be announced in May, based on voting by the SIU School of Medicine community during the SCOPE art exhibit.
Guidelines for Submission
- You may submit a maximum of five (5) entries per each category of poetry, prose and artwork.
- Each entry must include an entry form or it will not be accepted.
- Art entries must be delivered - digital submission is not accepted.
- Digital submission is required for Poetry / Prose
- All work must be original work by the author listed, unless noted.
- You MUST submit an electronic version of your work, a .doc, .docx, or .txt file.
- We prefer that you upload your submission(s) to our site by using our online form
- Uploaded file size is limited to 3 mb for each file submitted.
- Poetry/prose may be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com - E-mails must include attached entry form(s) and the attached electronic file(s) of submissions.
- Works should be in 10-12 pt. Times New Roman, Helvetica or Arial font. – No graphics.
- Word Limit: 1,800 words
- You MUST submit a framed hard copy of the artwork to be judged
to one of the addresses listed on the right side of this page.
- Each entry must include an entry form or it will not be accepted. Download Entry Form
(The entry form is a fillable pdf file. Save it to your computer and then complete a version for each of your entries. Save each with a new name and attach them to your email submission.) Acrobat Reader users must have Reader 8 or later. Download Adobe Reader
- Digital files will NOT be accepted.
- Please remember that the entries will be judged on content and presentation.
- Artwork will be displayed at SIU School of Medicine during the SCOPE art exhibit in April. Artwork will be held for exhibiting until May 2017. Entries must be claimed by July 1, 2017.
- Artwork must be in condition suitable for exhibition, framed, and ready to hang. SIU School of Medicine will make every effort to ensure the safety of your work but will not be responsible for fragile pieces. Please make sure that your piece is secure and has wires or finishing nails for hanging.
- If you are unable to pick up your artwork from Springfield or Carbondale and would like your artwork returned, please supply return shipping label.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Deliver or mail entries to one of these locations
Office of Public Affairs
SIU School of Medicine
801 N. Rutledge St.
P.O. Box 19621
Springfield, IL 62794-9621
ATTN: Kathleen Jones
SIU School of Medicine
Carbondale, IL 62901