- Residency and Fellowship Programs
- Resident and Fellow Information
- Program Staff Information
SIU SOM Related
Confidential Duty Hour Complaint Form
INSTITUTIONAL POLICY FOR RESIDENT COMPLAINTS
ABOUT DUTY HOUR VIOLATIONS
The Graduate Medical Education Committee, SIU School of Medicine and its affiliated hospitals take the ACGME duty hour requirements seriously and expects that all programs will follow these requirements. If a complaint about duty hour violations is received, the complaint will be handled in the following manner:
- The Office of Residency Affairs will not investigate any duty hour complaints made verbally or anonymously. If a written and signed complaint is made, the Office of Residency Affairs will investigate the complaint without revealing the identity of the person(s) making the complaint. It is recognized that confidentiality is limited in programs with small numbers of residents.
- The program director will be notified of the complaint without revealing the name of the complainant, unless the person has stated in writing that it is permissible to reveal his or her identity. The Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education will investigate the complaint through contact with the program director, faculty, other residents and other staff as appropriate. Review of resident time cards may also occur. After this investigation, one of the following steps may occur:
- Take no further action on the complaint after determining that the program is in compliance with duty hour requirements.
- Conclude that the program is not in compliance with the duty hour requirements. The Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education will then work with both the program director and the residents to develop an action plan for compliance in the future.
- After the appropriate step is taken, the Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education will respond to the complainant informing him/her of actions taken.
Documents and notes related to the complaint will be maintained in separate files from either the resident’s file or the program file.