Background and Overview
The Specialty of Family Medicine
- In response to a perceived need by the public for the development of well-trained generalists, the medical profession and the government created Family Medicine residencies in the early 1970's.
- Family Medicine is the medical specialty that provides continuing and comprehensive health care for the individual and the family.
- It integrates the biological, clinical and behavioral sciences. Its scope encompasses all ages, both genders, each organ system and every disease entity.
- The Family Medicine physician serves as the patient's and the family's advocate in all health-related matters, including the appropriate use of consulting and community resources.
- Family Medicine is the most demanding, rewarding, energizing, gratifying specialty in medicine.
- It is the career of the future in medicine.
- Family Medicine has and will continue to lead the reform to develop appropriate health care for our country.
- The opportunities for you as a Family Physician are as great as your determination and imagination.
The SIU Springfield Family Medicine Residency Program
- We are established !
- We have educated more than 200 family physicians since 1975 !
- We are a program that is part of the Department of Family and Community Medicine at Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, and have many benefits due to our relationship with the medical school.
- We are recognized nationally and internationally as a leader in innovative medical education.
- We have been recognized consistently for our success in attracting medical students to the specialty of Family Medicine.
Back to Residency Program Main Page