Affairs Home Page | Medical
Student Web Page
DATE: August, 2008
TO: Springfield Campus Medical Students and Graduate Students
FROM: Careyana Brenham, MD, Student Health Physician – Springfield Campus
RE: SIU Center for Family Medicine
On behalf of the physicians and staff of the SIU Center for Family Medicine, I want to welcome you to the Springfield campus. We look forward to taking care of your medical needs in a consistent, caring and confidential manner.
For your convenience, our services include an acute care clinic for our established patients. Our clinical facility is located at 520 North Fourth Street (the corner of 4th and Carpenter). It is open Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, except for Wednesday when we have extended hours to 6:30 PM. Please call ahead for a same day appointment and identify yourself as a medical student or graduate student so we can expedite your visit. There may be a slight wait as we work you in with our acute care physician.
Below is a summary explaining your primary care medical plan, and information about whom to contact if you should have questions. The physicians and staff look forward to seeing you and serving your healthcare needs as they may arise.
Medical Student and Graduate Student Primary Care Services
Your student health plan provides for primary care services obtained from the SIU Center for Family Medicine.
- Picking a Primary Care Physician: When you first establish care at the Center as a medical or graduate student, it is your prerogative to choose any of our faculty or resident physicians as your primary care provider. Please indicate to us who you want to list as your PCP, and we will indicate this in you record. No medical students or physician assistant students will be involved in your care. Please be candid with us about your wishes and any concern you might have. We want to be responsive to your needs.
- Maintaining Confidentiality: We want you to know that our Center has an electronic health record and all medical information is kept confidential. Our faculty, residents and staff all sign confidentiality statements. Medical students and graduate students are identified in the “banner” of the electronic health record as an “SIU Student,” and access to these charts are monitored and reported. We are immediately notified if an unauthorized individual tries to access your information. In addition, when you call to set up an appointment or present to clinic for a visit, the reason for the visit is not indicated on the schedule and remains confidential between you, your nurse and the physician.
The following is a summary review of your Springfield coverage (flow chart). Please follow the process for obtaining services utilizing your medical benefits to ensure the services are covered at the maximum amount.
- The physicians at the SIU Center for Family Medicine are your primary care physicians. When seeking medical care, they are your first contact.
- If you have other insurance coverage through a third party, please inform us at your first visit. This carrier is billed first for any services rendered. Otherwise, primary care professional services provided at the Center are covered at 100% through the Student Health plan. This includes office visits, procedures and preventive exams.
- Services outside our Center are provided upon referral from your primary care physician. Some ancillary testing ordered by our Center physicians may also require a referral. Services provided by referral to outside specialties are usually covered at 80% through your Carbondale medical benefits, after a deductible is met ($100 for in-network and $150 out of network). You will be responsible for the remaining 20%.
- The Student Medical Benefit Extended Care Plan also covers services resulting from an inpatient hospitalization and prenatal care. All claims should be directed to the address below, accompanied by a claim form filled out by the student, and a referral from your primary care physician here at the Center. SIU Center for Family Medicine, Student Health Program, MC 9670, Attn: Julie Baker.
- For visits to our Center, a $6.00 co-payment is required.
- Most labs and x-rays ordered by your primary care physician at the Center are covered at 100%.
- Injections, vaccines and supplies are NOT covered and are the responsibility of the student. This includes items such as splints, casting supplies, IUDs, Depo Provera, Gardasil, Tetanus and Hepatitis B vaccine.
- An SIU Critical Referral Form, available from one of our physicians, is required when seeing a physician outside the Center and for some ancillary services. We have referral coordinators who will assist you with obtaining a referral. If you have questions about a referral, please call 757-8112.
- The Center is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. We do have extended hours on Wednesday until 6:30 p.m.
- You may make an appointment by calling the clinic at 757-8129. Please identify yourself as an SIU medical student or graduate student participating in the Student Health Plan.
- We have an acute care clinic daily for our established patients with a need for a same day appointment. Please call ahead to make an appointment. There may be a slight wait as we work you in with our acute care physician. The physician on call is available after hours for emergency care.
- Billing questions can be directed to: Julie Baker at the SIU Center for Family Medicine. She can be reached at 757-8123.
- If you receive a bill from one of the hospitals for labs or x-rays ordered by your primary care physician and feel you are being billed in error, please call the Center immediately. Do NOT ignore the bill. Our billing office can work with you to take care of this.
A claim form is required when submitting claims to the Extended Care Plan. Student Medical Insurance Plan Claim Forms can be obtained from the SIU Office of Student Affairs, the SIU Center for Family Medicine, or online form the Carbondale Student Health web site.
A claims information card is available to present for billing information. Your policy number for this card is your social security number. The Student Medical Insurance Plan Brochure is also available online, explaining the Student Medical Benefit Extended Care Plan.
If you have any questions regarding your Springfield coverage, or you do not understand your coverage, please do not hesitate to call Julie Baker at 757-8123. We are happy to assist you.