Richard M. Bass, M.D.
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
Department of Surgery
Division of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
P.O Box 19662
Springfield, IL 62794-9662
Business Phone 217-545-8996
Business Fax 217-545-0253
Otolaryngologist Dr. Richard M. Bass is a professor of clinical otolaryngology for the Division of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery-Head and Neck Surgery at Southern Illinois University School of Medicine.
He is board certified in otolaryngology. His specialty is treatment hearing and balance disorders, sinus disorders, and allergies. Prior to joining SIU, Dr. Bass’ appointments included Chief of Otolaryngology at a U.S. Army Hospital in Ft. Campbell, Kentucky. Most recently Dr. Bass was in private practice in otolaryngology/head and neck surgery in Springfield. Dr. Bass completed his residency in otolaryngology, maxillofacial surgery at Northwestern University and general surgery at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago. Prior to that, he completed medical school and a master’s in science in pharmacology at the University of Illinois in Chicago. Dr. Bass is a Fellow of the American Academy of Otolaryngology, the American Head and Neck Society, American Neurotology Society, and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. Dr. Bass is chairman of St John’s Hospital Department of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery.
To make an appointment with Dr. Bass, please call SIU Healthcare at 217-545-8000.
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Division of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Illinois #36-42867-1 9/16/69
- Loyola University
University of Illinois
Northwestern Memorial (Wesley) Hospital, Chicago, IL
Rotational II 7/1/68 - 6/30/69
Northwestern University Hospital Systems 1969 - 1974
Otolaryngology 3 years, Surgery 1 year, Pathology 1 year
American Board of Otolaryngology 11/8/74
Diplomat National Board of Medical Examiners 7/1/69
American College of Surgeons 10/19/81
U.S.A.H., Ft. Campbell, KY 7/8/74 - 7/7/76 Maj. M.C.
- St. Johns Hospital Springfield, IL Active Attending
- Memorial Medical Center Springfield, IL Active Attending
- Carlinville Hospital Carlinville, IL Active Attending
- U.S. Army Hospital, Ft. Campbell, KY Chief of Otolaryngology 7/1974 to 1976
- Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
Clinical Associate Professor 1976 to 7/1/97
Clinical Professor 7/1/97 to 3/2004
Professor of Clinical Surgery 2004 - present
- St. Johns Hospital, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery
Secretary 1980 - 1990
Chairman 1991 - present
- Foundation for Medical Care of Central Illinois
Board of Directors 1984 - 1990
- Quality Assurance Review Crescent County
Pier Review Organization 1988 - 1996
- Hope School for Multiple Handicapped
Board of Directors 1990 – 1996
- St. Johns Hospital, Executive Board
Member 1996 – 2004
Secretary 2000 – 2004
- St. Johns Hospital, Operating Room Committee
Member 1996 – present.
- Sangamon County Medical Society
- Illinois State Medical Society
- American Society of Head and Neck Surgery
- American Medical Association
- American Neuro-Otologic Society
- American Academy of Otolaryngology
- Society of University Otolaryngologists
- American College of Surgeons
- Balance Disorders
- Chronic Sinus Disease
- Ear Problems
- Excellence in Teaching,
- SIU School of Medicine, Department of Surgery 1979, 1987 and 2004
- SIU School of Medicine, Division of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, 2000
Bass, R., Potter, E., Barney, P., "Immunofluorescent Localization of Immunoglobulins in Nasal Polyps", Arch. Otolaryngology 99:446 (1974).
Bass, R., Myers, P., "Approaches to Diagnosis and Management of a Lump in the Neck", Journal of Family Practice 5:755 (1977).
Bass, R., Hurshman, L., Winkler, L., "Rupture of a Carotid Artery from a Hypopharyngeal Foreign Body", Arch. Otolaryngology 104:471 (1978).
Chapters on Laryngeal Fracture, Nasal Fracture and Sinus Fractures in Primary Care of Facial Injuries, Elvin G. Zook, M.D., PSA Publishing Company, Littleton, Mass. (1980).
Bass, R., "Eosinophilic Granuloma of Head and Neck" Journal of Otolaryngology 9:250 (1980).
Bass, R., Kilbourne, S., "intraoperative Laryngeal Photographic Techniques" Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery 90:408-412 (1982) Presented at the American Academy Otolaryngology -Head and Neck Surgery, New Orleans, Sept. 22, 1981.
Bass, R., Hovhanessian, B., "Venous Malformation of the Neck Secondary to Plunging Ranula of the Mouth", Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, in presses, Poster Presentation at the American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, New Orleans, LA Sept 20-25, 1981 Journal of Otolaryngology, in presses.