K. Thomas Robbins, MD
Professor and Director of the Simmons Cancer Institute.
Head and Neck Surgeries
Dr. Thomas Robbins is Professor in the Division of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery at Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
and Director of the Simmons Cancer Institute at SIU. He is board certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology. His special interest is Head and Neck Surgery. Dr. Robbins has held positions at the University of Tennessee College of Medicine at Memphis, the University of California, San Diego, and M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston.
Dr. Robbins served a fellowship in head and neck surgical oncology at the Institute of Laryngology and Otology in London, England. He completed his otolaryngology residency at the University of Toronto and attended medical school at Dalhousie University.
Dr. Robbins has gained international recognition for his contributions to the field of head and neck oncology. He has authored over 160 scientific publications and edited several books. His society memberships include many prestigious organizations including the American Head and Neck Society, the Triologic Society, the Laryngologic Society, and the American Society of Clinical Oncologists. Dr. Robbins' research in using superselective intra-arterial chemotherapy has improved treatment outcome for patients with advanced Head and Neck Surgery.
To make an appointment with Dr. Robbins, please call SIU Healthcare at 217-545-8000.
- Memorial Univ. of Newfoundland - 1969 Chem, Biology
- Dalhousie Univ. of Med School - 1973 M.D.Medicine
- Univ. of Toronto - 1981 Otolaryngology
- Univ. of London, England - 1982 Head & Neck Oncology
- 7/73 - 6/74 Rotating Internship, Dalhousie University Medical School, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
- 7/77 - 6/79 Resident in Otolaryngology, Dalhousie University Medical School, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
- 7/79 - 6/81 Resident in Otolaryngology, University of Toronto Medical School, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 7/81- 9/82 Fellow in Head & Neck Surgical Oncology, Institute of Laryngology & Otology, London, England
- 1/83 - 9/87 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, University of Texas Medical, School, Houston, TX.
- 11/84 - 9/87 Assistant Professor and Associate Surgeon, Dept. of Head & Neck Surgery, M.D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute, Houston, TX.
- 10/87- 6/92 Associate Clinical Professor of Surgery, Div. of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, Director of Head & Neck Oncology, University of California, San Diego, CA.
- 7/92 - 12/92 Professor of Clinical Surgery, Dept. of Surgery, University of California, San Diego, CA.
- 1/93 - 8/00 Professor & Chairman, Dept. of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, University of Tennessee, Memphis, Memphis, TN.
- 9/00 - 2/02 Professor & Chair, Department of Otolaryngology, University of Florida.
- 7/03 - present Professor, Division of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine.
- 11/06 - present, Director of the Simmons Cancer Instituteat SIU
- University Entrance Scholarship, Memorial University of Newfoundland,1966
- Dalhousie University Medical School Scholarship, Third Year, 1972
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honours, Medical Society, 1973
- Edward Christie Stevens Postgraduate, Fellowship Award, University of Toronto, 1981
- Travel Award, Ontario Cancer Society, 1982
- Honor Award, American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery ,1988
- Honorable Mention: Thesis for the American Triological Society,1993;
- Included: The Best Doctors in America 1993, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2005
- Finalist, Memphis Health Care Heroes 2000.
- America's Top Doctors: 2001
- Teaching Award, Department of Surgery, SIU School of Medicine 2004
- Teaching Award, Department of Surgery, SIU School of Medicine 2005
- Honorary Lifetime Member of the Israeli Head and Neck Society
- Woodson GE; Rosen CA; Murry T; Madasu R; Wong F; Hengesteg A; Robbins KT. "Assessing Vocal Function After Chemoradiation for Advanced Laryngeal Carcinoma". Archives of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 122(8): 858-864, August 1996.\
- Robbins KT; Kumar P; Regine WF; Wong FSH; Weir III AB; Flick P; Kun LE; Palmer R; Murry T; Fontanesi J; Ferguson R; Thomas R; Hartsell W; Paig CU; Salazar G; Norfleet L; Hanchett CB; Harrington V Niell HB. "Efficacy of Targeted Supradose Cisplatin and Concomitant Radiation Therapy for Advanced Head and Neck Surgery: The Memphis Experience". International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 38(2):263-271, May 1997.\
- Murry T; Madasu R; Martin A; Robbins KT. "Acute and Chronic Changes in Swallowing and Quality of Life Following Intra-arterial Chemoradiation for Organ Preservation in Patients with Advanced Head and Neck Surgery": Head and Neck, 20:31-37, January 1998.
- Denys D; Kumar P; Wong FS; Newman LA; Robbins KT. "The Predictive Value of Tumor Regression Rates During Chemoradiation Therapy in Patients with Advanced Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma", American Journal of Surgery, 174(5):561-564, November 1997.
- Madasu R; Ruckenstein M; Leake F; Steere E; Robbins KT. "Ototoxic Effects of Supradose Cisplatin with Sodium Thiosulfate Neutralization in Patients with Head and Neck Surgery", Archives of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 123(9):978-981, September 1997.
- Samant S; Kumar P; Wan J; Hanchett C; Vieira F; Murry T; Wong FSH; Robbins KT, "Concomitant Radiation Therapy and Targeted Cisplatin Chemotherapy for the Treatment of Advanced Piriform Sinus Carcinoma: Disease Control and Preservation of Organ Function", Head and Neck, 21(7):595-601, October 1999.
- Robbins KT; Wong FS; Kumar P; Hartsell WF; Vieira F; Mullins B; Neill HB. "Efficacy of Targeted Chemoradiation and Planned Selective Neck Dissection to Control Bulky Nodal Disease in Advanced Head and Neck Surgery", Archives of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, 125(6):670-675, June 1999.
- Robbins KT "Status of the RADPLAT Treatment Technique for Advanced Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Upper Aerodigestive Tract", Review Article for Current Opinion in Otolaryngology, & Head and Neck Surgery, 6(2),113-119, 1998.
- Denys D, Kaste SC, Kun LE, Chaudhary MA, Bowman LC, Robbins KT: "The Effects of Radiation on Craniofacial Skeletal Growth: A Quantitative Study." International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 45(1): 7-13 (September 1998).
- Weisman, RA; Christen, RD; Jones VE; Kerber CW; Seagren SL; Orloff LA; Glassmeyer SL; Howell SB; and Robbins KT "Observations on Control of N2 and N3 Neck Disease in Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck by Intra-arterial Chemoradiation". Laryngoscope, 108(6):800-805. June 1998.
- Greer JE, Eltorky M, Robbins KT: "A Feasibility Study of Salivary Gland Autograft Transplantation for Xerostomia." Head and Neck, 22, 241-246, May 2000
- Robbins KT, "The Evolving Role of Combined Modality Therapy in Head and Neck Surgery"
Arch Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery 126, 265-269, March 2000.
- Robbins KT. "Otolaryngology". Journal of the American College of Surgeons, 2000;190(2):187-195.
- Greer JE, Eltorky M, Robbins KT. "A feasibility study of salivary gland autograft transplantation for xerostomia." Head and Neck , 2000;22:241-246.
- Robbins KT, Kumar P, Wong FSH, Hartsell WF, Flick P, Palmer R, Weir AB, Neill HB, Murry T, Ferguson R, Hanchett C, Vieira F, Bush A, Howell SB. "Targeted chemoradiation for advanced Head and Neck Surgery: analysis of 213 patients." Head and Neck , 2000;22(7):687-693.
- Ahmed KA, Robbins KT, Wong F, Salazar JE. "Efficacy of concomitant chemoradiation and suergical salvage for N3 nodal disease associated with upper aerodigestive tract carcinoma." Laryngoscope, 2000;110(11):1789-1793
- Robbins KT. "Indications for Selective Neck Dissection: When, how and why". Oncology, 2000;14(10):1455-1469.
Laryngoscope. 2001 Feb;111(2):204-6.
- Robbins KT. "What's New in Head and Neck Surgery? House Calls, pg. 16-19, May-June 2001.
- Doweck I, Robbins KT, Vieira F. Analysis of risk factors predictive of distant failure after targeted chemoradiation for advanced Head and Neck Surgery. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2001 Nov;127(11):1315-1318.
- Samant S, Robbins KT , Kumar P, Ma JZ, Vieira F, Hanchett C. Bone or cartilage invasion by advanced Head and Neck Surgery: intra-arterial supradose cisplatin chemotherapy and concomitant radiotherapy for organ preservation. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2001 Dec;127(12):1451
- Kumar P, Robbins KT. Treatment of Advanced Head and Neck Surgery with Intra-arterial Cisplatin and Concurrent Radiation Therapy: The 'RADPLAT' Protocol.
Curr Oncol Rep. 2001 Jan;3(1):59-65.
- Robbins KT, Atkinson JLD, Byers RM, Cohen, MD, Lavertu P, MD, Pellitteri P: The Use and Misuse of Neck Dissection for Head and Neck Surgery. J Am Coll Surg. 2001 Jul; 193(1):91-102.
- Newman LA, Robbins KT, Logemann JA, Rademaker AW, Lazarus CL, Hamner A, Tusant S, Huang CF. Swallowing and speech ability after treatment for Head and Neck Surgery with targeted intraarterial versus intravenous chemoradiation. Head Neck. 2002 Jan;24(1):68-77.
- Ferlito A, Robbins KT, Shaha AR, Pellitteri PK, Kowalski LP, Gavilan J, Silver CE, Rinaldo A, Medina JE, Pitman KT, Byers RM. Current considerations in neck dissection. Acta Otolaryngol. 2002 Apr;122(3):323-9.
- Robbins KT. Barriers to winning the battle with head-and-neck cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2002 May 1;53(1):4-5.
- Robbins KT, Clayman G, Levine P, Medina J, Sessions R, Som P, Wolf GT: Neck dissection classification update. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2002 Jul;128(7):751-8.
- Staton J, Robbins KT, Sebelik M, Samant S, Newman L: Factors predictive of poor function in advanced laryngeal cancer treated with chemoradiation. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2002 Jul;127(1):43-7.
- Ferlito A, Robbins KT, Medina J, Shaha A, Som PM, Rinaldo A. Is it time to eliminate confusion regarding cervical lymph node levels according to the scheme originated at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center? Acta Otolaryngol 2002 Dec;122(8):900-6 122, 2002
- Ferlito A, Robbins KT, Medina JE, Shaha AR, Som PM, Rinaldo A. Is it time to eliminate confusion regarding cervical lymph node levels according to the scheme originated at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center? Acta Otolaryngol. 2002 Dec;122(8):805-7.
- Doweck I, Denys D, Robbins KT. Tumor volume predicts outcome for advanced Head and Neck Surgery treated with targeted chemoradiotherapy. Laryngoscope. 2002 Oct;112(10):1742-9.
- Kowalski LP, Rinaldo A, Robbins KT, Pellitteri PK, Shaha AR, Weber RS,
Ferlito A. Stomal recurrence: pathophysiology, treatment and prevention.
Acta Otolaryngol (Stockholm) 2003; 123: 421-432.
- Ilana Doweck, KT Robbins, William M. Mendenhall, Russell W. Hinerman, Robert Amdur. Head and Neck (in press)Neck level-specific nodal metastases in oropharyngeal cancer: is there a role for selective neck dissection following definitive radiation therapy? - Robbins KT. Sequential chemosurgery for advanced Head and Neck Surgery: another pathway in a complex maze? Ann Surg Oncol. 2003 Jul;10(6):593-5.
- Samant S, Robbins KT. Evolution of Neck Dissection for Improved Functional Outcome.
World J Surg. 2003 May 28
- Robbins KT, Samant S, Vieira F, Kumar P. Presurgical Cytoreduction of Oral Cancer Using Intra-arterial Cisplatin and Limited Concomitant Radiation Therapy (Neo-RADPLAT). Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2004;130:28-32.
- Robbins KT, Doweck I, Samant S, Vieira F, Kumar P. Factors Predictive of Local Disease Control Following Intra-arterial Concomitant Chemoradiation (RADPLAT). Laryngoscope 2004;114(3):411-417.
- Rinaldo A, Ferlito A, Kowalski L, Quer M, Suarez C, Leon X, Robbins, KT. Is dissection of level V necessary in patients with T2-T4N0 supraglottic cancer? The Journal of Laryngology & Otology 2004;118;175-178.
- Proctor E, Robbins KT, Vieira F, Hanchett C, Sommes G: Postoperative Complications after Chemoradiation for Advanced Head and Neck Cancer. Head & Neck 2004;26(3):272-277.
- Ferlito A, Robbins KT, Rinaldo A. Editorial: Neck dissection: historical perspective. J Laryngol Otol 2004;118(6):403-5.
- Rinaldo A, Robbins KT, Ferlito A. The importance of distinguishing between sublevel IA and IB in neck dissection. ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec. 2004;66:53-55.
- Samant S, Robbins KT, Vang M, Wan J, Robertson J. Intra-arterial Cisplatin and Concomitant Radiation Therapy Followed by Surgery for Advanced Paranasal Sinus Cancer. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2004;130(8):948-55.
- Rinaldo A, Robbins KT, Ferlito A. It is useful to divide level VA of the neck into two sections? J Laryngol Otol 2004;118(6):582-3.
- Ferlito A, Devaney KO, Robbins KT, Rinaldo A: Recommendation for Studies on Detection of Neck Disease. Oral Oncology 2004;40(10):967-970.
- Talmi Y, Rinaldo A, Robbins KT, et al. Editorial: Why promote an educational process for separating level II into level IIA and level IIB in neck dissection. ORL 2004;66(5):229-232.
- Robbins KT, Ferlito A, Suarez, C, et al. Editorial: Is there a role for selective neck dissection after chemoradiation for head and neck caner. J Am Coll Surg 2004;199(6):913-916.
- Robbins KT and Doweck I: Treatment of Advanced Base of Tongue Cancer. Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Head and Neck Cancer, 2004;157-161.
- Robbins KT and Samant S. “Neck Dissection” in Fourth Edition Cummings Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery”. Editors: Cummings, Flint, Harker, Haughey, Richardson, Robbins, Schuller, Thomas. Publisher: Elsevier Mosby, 2005.
- Robbins, KT: Editorial: Is high-dose intensity intraarterial cisplatin chemoradiotherapy for head and neck carcinoma feasible? Cancer 2005;103(3):447-450.
- Robbins KT, Kumar P, Harris J, McCulloch T, Cmelak A, Sofferman R, Levine P, Weisman R, Wilson W, Weymuller E, and Fu K: Supradose Intra-Arterial Cisplatin and Concurrent Radiation Therapy for the Treatment of Stage IV Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma is Feasible and Efficacious in a Multi-Institutional Setting: Results of Radiation Therapy Oncology Group Trial 9615. J Clin Oncol 2005;23(7):1447-1454.
- Robbins KT: Editorial: Selecting from the menu of treatment options for locally advanced laryngeal cancer. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005;131:819.
- Robbins KT, Doweck I, Samant S, and Vieira F: Effectiveness of Superselective and Selective Neck Dissection for Advanced Nodal Metastases after Chemoradiation. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005;131:1-5.
- Ferlito A, Rinaldo A, Silver CE, Gourin CG, Shah JP, Clayman GL, Kowalski LP, Shaha AR, Robbins KT, Suárez C, Leemans CR, Ambrosch P, Medina JE, Weber RS, Genden EM, Pellitteri PK, Werner JA, and Myers EJ: Review: Elective and therapeutic selective neck dissection. Oral Oncology 2006;42(1):14-25.
- Ferlito A, Rinaldo A, Robbins KT and Silver CE: Review: Neck Dissection: Past, Present and Future. J Laryngol Otol 2006;120:87-92.
- 20. Wei WI, Ferlito A, Rinaldo A, Gourin CG, Lowry J, Ho WK, Leemans CR, Shaha AR, Suárez C, Clayman GL, Robbins KT, Bradley PJ, Silver CE: Management of the N0 Neck - Reference or Preference. Oral Oncol 2006; 42(2):115-122.
- Pellitteri PK, Ferlito A, Rinaldo A, Shah JP, Weber RS, Lowry J, Medina JE, Gourin CG, Robbins KT, Suárez C, Shaha AR, Genden EM, Leemans CR, Lefebvre JL, Kowalski LP, Wei WI: Planned neck dissection following chemoradiotherapy for advanced head and neck cancer - Is it necessary for all? Head Neck 2006;28:166-175.
- Rogers, LQ, Courneya KS, Robbins KT, Malone J, Seiz A, Koch L, Rao K, Nagarkar M: Physical activity and quality of life in head and neck cancer survivors. Supp Care Canc.2006;14:1012-1019.
- Robbins KT, Woodson, GE: Imminent Innovations: Head and Neck Surgery/Oncology and Laryngology. ENT News 2006;15:61-63.
- Ferlito A, Rinaldo A, Silver CE, Shah JP, Suarez C, Medina JE, Kowalski LP, Johnson JT, Strome M, Rodrigo JP, Werner JA, Takes RP, Towpik E, Robbins KT, Leemans C: Neck Dissection: Then and Now. Auris Nasus Larynx 2006;33(4):365-374.
- Robbins KT, Shannon K, Vieira F: Superselective Neck Dissection after Chemoradiation. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007;133:486-489.
- Rogers, LQ; Courneya, KS; Robbins KT; Malone, J; Seiz, A; Koch, L; Rao, K. Social cognitive theory correlates of physical activity in head and neck cancer patients. Supp Care Canc.2007.
- Rabbani A, Hinerman RW, Schmalfuss IM, Amdur RJ, Morris CG, Peters KR, Robbins KT, Mendenhall WM: Radiotherapy and concomitant intraarterial cisplatin (RADPLAT) for advanced squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck. Am J Clin Oncol. 2007 Jun;30(3):283-6.
- Rogers, LQ; Courneya, KS; Robbins KT; Malone, J; Seiz, A; Koch, L; Rao, K: Physical activity correlates and barriers in head and neck cancer patients. Supp Care Canc.2008; 16(1):19-27.
- Doweck I, Robbins KT, Samant S, Vieira F: Intra-arterial chemoradiation for T3-4 oral cavity cancer: treatment outcomes in comparison to oropharyngeal and hypopharyngeal carcinoma. World J Surg Oncol 2008;Jan 14:6(1):2.
- Robbins KT, Shaha AR, Medina JE, Califano JA, Wolf GT, Ferlito A, Som PM, and Day TA. Consensus Statement on the Classification and Terminology of Neck Dissection. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008;134(5)536-538.
- Malone JP and Robbins KT. “Carcinoma of the Oral Cavity, Pharynx & Esophagus” in Essential Otolaryngology, 9th Edition. Editor: K.J. Lee, 2008.
- Robbins KT. “Preservation of the Marginal Mandibular Nerve in Neck Surgery” in Pearls and Pitfalls in Head and Neck Surgery. Editor: Claudio R. Cernea. Publisher: S. Karger AG-Medical and Scientific Publishers, 2008.