- Do you have to strain to listen?
- Do you feel frustration when you are conversing?
- Do you have to ask people to repeat themselves?
- Do you have difficulty when someone speaks in a whisper?
- Do you misunderstand people and respond inappropriately?
- Do you find yourself withdrawing from social activities because it is difficult to hear?
- Do you have arguments with your family members because of your hearing?
- Do you have difficulty talking on the telephone or hearing on the TV or radio?
- Do you have trouble hearing in a restaurant?
- Do you have dizziness, pain, or ringing in your ears?
- Do you work or have you worked around noisy environments?
- Do you enjoy recreational activities such as hunting, shooting, or riding motorcycles?
Following treatment for hearing loss… Better relationships with family Improved feelings of self-worth Improved mental health Independence and security
The National Council on Aging. (1999). The consequences of untreated hearing loss in older persons. Washington, DC. www.ncoa.org