The general surgery program at SIU comprises the most expertly trained and diverse group of general surgery providers in our region. All members of the division are fellowship trained in at least one advanced surgical discipline, including trauma and critical care, surgical oncology, bariatric surgery, colorectal surgery, minimally invasive surgery, and advanced surgical endoscopy. The division provides the sole physician support for a number of key patient care programs in our region, including kidney and pancreas transplantation, advanced surgical oncologic care such as hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy, and trauma care through the Southern Illinois Trauma Center. Alongside these fundamental patient care roles, physicians in the division also provide the clinical and academic foundation for SIU’s surgical training programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. In these roles, division members have received numerous institutional teaching awards and accolades, as well as prestigious national level teaching awards. In addition, members of the division are involved in cutting-edge research in areas that include surgical education, oncologic outcomes, and healthcare disparities. Members of the division are also involved in leading the development of nationally and internationally mandated surgical curricula, and serve in key leadership roles with national surgical organizations and governing boards.
Is the division's goal to provide compassionate and expert surgical care to our patients, outstanding education and mentoring to our trainees, and faithful and diligent service to our colleagues in the community. Through these activities, it is our higher goal to serve the University, and the region it serves, for the common good.
John D. Mellinger, MD
J. Roland Folse MD Endowed Chair
Professor and Chair, SIU General Surgery
Vice Chair, Department of Surgery
General Surgery Residency Program Director
General Surgery News
- Dr. John Sutyak, General Surgery, was honored with the Sangamon County Medical Society Alliance 2016 Humanitarian Award.
- Congratulations to Dr. Mellinger, Ashley, and the team of General Surgery for being the first Surgery department to use TeleHealth.
- Advanced Hernia Center opens at Memorial Medical Center more...
- 900th Kidney transplant performed. more...
- Trauma Surgeon, Dr. Jarrod Wall receives national teaching award more...
- Sabha Ganai, MD, PhD, assistant professor of surgery, received the 2015 Health Care Disparities Research Award more...