The Department of Surgery's core mission to improve the quality of surgical health care through clinical practice research and education to our service area population.
As clinicians, educators and researchers - we strive to foster a rich environment for our patients, students and staff.
Located in Illinois' Capitol City, with outreach clinics throughout the state, our program has eight divisions, comprised of over 140 award winning faculty and resident physicians.
We are an emerging program, with roots and steep lineage in innovation and quality.
The SIU Surgery Program:
- SIU General surgeons have advanced the care of patients through minimally invasive endoscopic surgery, with emerging programs in bariatrics and hernia revision
- SIU Orthopaedics has led the nation in outcome studies and quality measures for orthopedic related surgeries including major joint replacement and sports medicine.
- SIU Otolaryngology faculty are national leaders in tinnitus and voice related surgeries.
- SIU Neurosurgeons are world experts in brain tumors and deep brain stimulation.
- SIU Cardiothoracic surgeons are known internationally for our volume reduction surgical expertise.
- SIU Vascular surgeons are broadly recognized as the leaders in endovascular interventions for the last decade.
- SIU Emergency medicine physicians are leaders in clinical simulation
- SIU Institute for Plastic Surgery is internationally recognized as one of the premiere hand and microvascular re- and transplant programs.
- 2nd annual Midwest Healthcare Quality Alliance (MHQA) symposium. The event will be held on September 22, 2016 at the Memorial Center for Learning and Innovation (MCLI).
- Congratulations to the Urology residents who participated in the Chicago Urologic Society Resident Research Competition. Dr. Julia Fiuk (PGY3) received first prize for her project on CT scan imaging of renal masses. Drs. Daniel Sadowski and Joshua Ring (PGY2s) and Wesley Baas (PGY1) had excellent performances as well. Dr. McVary was approached by many faculty from other institutions who commented on the excellent presentations from SIU. On behalf of all Urology faculty and staff, thank you once again
- Advanced Hernia Center opens at Memorial Medical Center more...
- Tamara Kimberlee Pylawka, MD, MS, to be Published in the Leading Physicians of the World as New Member of the International Association of Health Care Professionals more...
- SIU/Memorial Earn Top Quality Award from International Health Congress .more...
- SIU Educational Events - Click for more information