The Department of Surgery's core mission to improve the quality of surgical health care through clinical practice research and education to our service area population.
As clinicians, educators and researchers - we strive to foster a rich environment for our patients, students and staff.
Located in Illinois' Capitol City, with outreach clinics throughout the state, our program has eight divisions, comprised of over 140 award winning faculty and resident physicians.
We are an emerging program, with roots and steep lineage in innovation and quality.
The SIU Surgery Program:
- SIU General surgeons have advanced the care of patients through minimally invasive endoscopic surgery, with emerging programs in bariatrics and hernia revision
- SIU Orthopaedics has led the nation in outcome studies and quality measures for orthopedic related surgeries including major joint replacement and sports medicine.
- SIU Otolaryngology faculty are national leaders in tinnitus and voice related surgeries.
- SIU Neurosurgeons are world experts in brain tumors and deep brain stimulation.
- SIU Cardiothoracic surgeons are known internationally for our volume reduction surgical expertise.
- SIU Vascular surgeons are broadly recognized as the leaders in endovascular interventions for the last decade.
- SIU Emergency medicine physicians are leaders in clinical simulation
- SIU Institute for Plastic Surgery is internationally recognized as one of the premiere hand and microvascular re- and transplant programs.
- Dr. Jan Rakinic, Professor of Surgery, Chief of the Section of Colorectal Surgery, and Vice Chair of Safety, Quality , and Clinical Affairs for the Dept. of Surgery, is the new President-elect for the American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery. Dr. Rakinic will serve as President-elect for Oct 2016-Sept 2017, and as President for Oct 2017-Sept 2018. She is the second woman to be elected as President of the American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery.
- New Treatment Brings Hope for Men with Prostate Disease more...
- Dr. John Sutyak, General Surgery, was honored with the Sangamon County Medical Society Alliance 2016 Humanitarian Award.
- New treatment offers outpatient option for enlarged prostate more...
- Congratulations to Dr. Mellinger, and the team of General Surgery for being the first Surgery department to use TeleHealth.
- Dr. Bradley Schwartz (Urology) chosen as the recipient of the 2016 University-Level Teaching Excellence Award. more...