The Department of Surgery's core mission to improve the quality of surgical health care through clinical practice research and education to our service area population. As clinicians, educators and researchers - we strive to foster a rich environment for our patients, students and staff.
We are an emerging program, with roots and steep lineage in innovation and quality.
There are eight divisions within the department of surgery:
- Our SIU general surgeons have advanced the care of patients through minimally invasive endoscopic surgery, with emerging programs in bariatrics
- The SIU orthopaedics program has led the nation in outcome studies and quality measures for orthopedic related surgeries including major joint replacement and sports medicine.
- Our SIU otolaryngology faculty are national leaders in tinnitus and voice related surgeries.
- Our neurosurgeons are world experts in brain tumors and deep brain stimulation.
- The SIU Cardiothoracic program is known internationally for its volume reduction surgery expertise.
- Our SIU Vascular surgeons are broadly recognized as the leaders in endovascular for the last decade.
- The Emergency medicine program are leaders in clinical simulation, and our Institute for Plastic Surgery is internationally recognized as one of the premiere hand and microvascular surgery programs.
- Over 60 faculty, 76 residents and 5 fellowship programs
- Over 80,000 Annual patient visits 2014
- One of 20 Level One Trauma Programs in the State of Illinois
- Home to the state of Illinois Capital and Government
- Repeat recipients of US News and Top Doctors Awards for the last decade
- Employee of the Month - Stephanie Wysocki
- Cardiothoracic Physician Assistant Tony Grasch in recent Olympic Iron Abe relay
- ‘Denim & Diamonds’ Cancer Institute Fundraiser Celebrates 15th Anniversary
- ENT welcomes new surgeon, Matthew Johnson, MD
- Plastic Surgery welcomes new surgeon, Brian Mailey, MD
- Trauma Surgeon, Dr. Jarrod Wall receives national teaching award