SIU neurosurgeons will provide excellent care for your patient whether they have common disc disease or more complex cranial disease.
Our physicians will provide you with detailed reports of your patient’s care from initial evaluation to follow-up.
Referring a Patient to SIU Neurosurgery
We care about our relationship with you, your patients, and your office staff.
That’s why we work hard to keep you informed of your patients’ care by providing detailed reports from diagnosis to treatment to follow-up.
How to refer a patient:
Please call 217-545-5878 to schedule an appointment. If you have difficulties with scheduling at this number please call 217-545-7585.
Complete the attached Request for Consultation (PDF) form and fax to 217-545-9719
The following information is needed to make the appointment:
- Patient Information (name, address, birthday, phone number).
- Referring Physician Information (name, clinic, address, phone number).
- Reason for the referral (Has the patient been diagnosed?
- What would you like the consultant to answer?
- Preferred Method of Communication (phone, fax, letter).
Prior to the Appointment:
Prior to the scheduled appointment, the following information must be faxed or mailed to the Appointment Scheduler:
- Image studies, including CT or MRI scans- if they are more than six months old, please repeat the scan before the appointment.
- Medical records pertinent to diagnosis, including notes from previous surgeries and hospital discharge summaries (if not within Memorial Medical Center or St. John’s Hospital).
- The attached completed Request for Consultation (PDF) form.
Department of Surgery – Neurosurgery
SIU School of Medicine
421 North 9th Street
PO Box 19680
Springfield, IL 62794-9860
Without this information, we may not be able to complete the consultation and ask that the appointment be rescheduled.
If you have questions please contact the division chair, Dr. Cozzens at 217-545-8863. It is our goal to provide expedient access to our neurosurgical service and always welcome suggestions on how to improve.
We will contact you to schedule an appointment.
Thank you for allowing us to participate in caring for your patient.