Per Freitag, PhD, MD, FACS
Division of orthopaedics and Rehabilitation
Office Phone: 217-545-8865
Per Freitag, M.D., Ph.D., is a spine surgery specialist in the Division of orthopaedics and Rehabilitation at the Southern Illinois University School of Medicine. He serves as an associate professor in the Department of Surgery.
Prior to joining SIU, Dr. Freitag served as a clinical associate professor of orthopaedic surgery at Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago for several years and was on the attending staff of several suburban-area hospitals. He worked in private practice for several years in the Chicago area.
Dr. Freitag received his medical degree from the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis. He completed his internship and residency in orthopaedics at the Northwestern University McGraw Medical Center in Chicago. Dr. Freitag earned his doctorate in anatomy from University of Illinois Medical Center in Chicago and his bachelor's degree from University of Illinois-Chicago Circle.
Dr. Freitag is board certified by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, of which he is a fellow. He is also a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the International College of Surgeons. Freitag is a member of Illinois Orthopaedic Society, the Illinois State Medical Society, the American Board of Neurological and Orthopaedic Medicine and Surgery and a charter member of the Mid-American Orthopaedic Association. He has published numerous journal articles.
To make an appointment with Dr. Freitag, please call SIU Physicians and Surgeons at 217-545-8000
- Associate Professor, Division of orthopaedics and Rehabilitation
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
Springfield, Illinois: November 2001 to present
- Clinical Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Northwestern University Medical School
Chicago, Illinois: November 1979 to November 2001
- Instructor in Anatomy
University of Minnesota Medical School
September 1970 to June 1973
- United States Public Health Services Fellowship
September 1966 to August 1970
Ringerike Høgere Skole, Hønefoss, Norway August 1956 to June 1962 President of Graduating Class
University of Illinois
February 1963 to June 1966 Degree Received: Bachelor of Science Extracurricular Activities: Co-Chairman, International Student Commission Vice-President: Omega Beta Pi Premedical Honorary Fraternity Member: Activities Honorary Society.
University of Illinois Medical Center in Chicago
September 1966 to August 1970
Degree Received: Master of Science October 1968
Thesis Title: Microscopic Demonstration of Autonomic Innervation of Rabbit Salivary Glands.
Honors Received: Elected Associate Member of The Society of Sigma Xi
Degree Received: Doctor of Philosophy August 1970
Thesis Title: Influences of Some Neuro-pharmacological Agents of Rat Salivary Glands
Honors Received: Elected member of The Society of Sigma Xi
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
September 1970 to June 1973
Degree Received: Doctor of Medicine Extracurricular Activities: Chairman, Phase B Student Steering Committee Honors Received: Student Achievement Award.
Northwestern University McGraw Medical Center Chicago, Illinois
Combination Internship: 1st year trainee in Orthopaedic Surgery from June 1973 to July 1974. Trainee in orthopaedics: June 1974 to July 1978.
- Board Certified: September 7, 1979
- Memorial Medical Center Full Attending Staff November 2001 - Present
- St. John's Hospital Full Attending Staff November 2001 - Present
- Northwestern University Medical School's Interview Committee, 1994-2000
- Surgery Credentialing Committee Good Shephard Hospital, 1999 - 2000
- Credential Committee Lutheran General Hospital, 1994-1996
- Executive Committee Golf Surgical Center, 1994-1995
- Surgery Steering Committee Good Shepard Hospital, 1995 - 1996
- Operating Room Committee Good Shephard Hospital, 1996 - 1999
- Ambulatory Care Committee Good Shephard Hospital, 1997-1999
- Physician Advisory Committee Good Shephard Hospital, 2001-2002
- Medical Credential Committee Good Shephard Hospital, 2000-2002
- Fellow: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Fellow: International College of Surgeons
- Fellow: American College of Surgeons
- Member: Illinois Orthopaedic Society
- Member: Chicago Medical Society
- Member: Illinois State Medical Society
- Member: American Board of Neurological and Orthopaedic Medicine and Surgery
- Charter Member:The Mid-American Orthopaedic Association
- Diplomat: American Board of Forensic Medicine
- Annual Lecturer at the Orthopaedic Core Curriculum, 1978 - 1996.
- Annual Lecturer for Greater Chicago Arthritis Foundation - "What's New in orthopaedics".
- Instructor in weekly board review for Physician Assistants, Lutheran General Hospital, Fall 1999
- Guest Lecturer at Triton College for the Arthritis Foundation. "Carpal Tunnel Syndrome & A Joint Endeavor." River Grove, Illinois, June 1995
- Lecturer at Illinois Medical Society Musculoskeletal Meeting in St. Maarten, November 1980
- Catholic Charities: Outstanding Physicians Award, 1999
- Chicago Chiropractic Society: Medical Humanitarian Of The Year, 1987
- Freitag, P. and Engel, M. B., Microscopic Demonstration of Autonomic Innervations in Rabbit Salivary Glands, M. S. Thesis, University of Illinois, October 1968.
- Freitag, P. and Engel, M. B., Microscopic Demonstration of Autonomic Innervation in Rabbit Salivary Glands, J. Dent Research 48: Supplement, Abstract 87, 1969.
- Freitag, P. and Engel, M. B., Innervation in Rabbit Salivary Glands, Anat. Rec. 167: 87 - 106, 1970.
- Freitag, P. and Engel, M. B. and Svihla G., Ultraviolet Micrography and Histochemistry of Rat Salivary Glands, J. Dent, Research 50: Supplement, Abstract 628, 1971.
- Freitag, P., Influences of Some Neuropharmacological Agents on Acini Of Rat Salivary Glands, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Illinois, August 1970.
- Freitag, P. and Engel, M. B., Interference Microscopy of Rat Salivary Glands, J. Dent, Research 50: Supplement, Abstract 629, 1971.
- Freitag, P. and Engel, M. B. and Svihla G., Cryostat Cut, Freeze-Dried Tissues for Microscopic Investigations, Microscope 19: 271-279, 1971.
- Freitag, P. and S. Hirasuna and Milgram J., Double Dislocation of a Finger, The Physician and Sports Medicine 5: October, 1979.
- Freitag, P. and Head, J. R. Jr. and Lim, H. M., Radioulnar Synostosis Following Trauma, Review of Literature and Report of Case, Presented in the annual meeting of the American Association of Hand Surgery on September 26, 1980 in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Freitag, P., Back-pain sufferers can avoid stooping to major surgery. Chicago Tribune, Tempo section, page 9, November 1, 1987
- Levy, J., Freitag, P., Bauer, Raj, R.K., Karkazis, G., "Spontaneous" Lumbar Subdural Hematoma, American Journal of Neuroradiology ll: 780-781, July/August, 1990.
- Freitag, P. L5-S1 Made Easy - Go Looking For The Old Chymodiactin Ruler. Poster Presentation, Eighth Annual Intradiscal Therapy Society Meeting, March 15-19, 1995, La Jolla, California.